RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:58:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Metal Gear Solid - Retro Playthrough - September 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid - Retro Playthrough - September 2015  (Read 13513 times)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 09:46:26 AM »

The controls can take a little getting used to for someone new to the game. I would argue that this game is easier to go back than something like a Resident Evil with tank controls. The key is "learning" what each button does and how they relate to what snake does automatically, like sticking to walls.

It can certainly be frustrating when you're caught in a crawl and the enemies can unload into you because the standing up animation can take very long especially if you're frazzled from being discovered.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 08:42:47 PM »

The first thing I ever bought on eBay, circa 2001:

Pics of my MGS T-Shirt coming soon!

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 03:44:12 AM »

As I said at the start of this thread I played this game very recently. I used original discs on a PS3.

I couldn't believe how great this game was. It's like a modern game where it's more like a film than a game, but on a PS1! And all the fourth wall breaking was great.

Definitely looking forwards to trying out other games in the series (including going back to the 2 NES games).

I think I had only 1 problem with this game; the O button is the yes/continue/ok type button and the X button was cancel/back. Don't know if you Americans have that same problem or if that is only on the European version. But it's the complete opposite of every other game. Very confusing!
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 09:23:48 AM »

I think I had only 1 problem with this game; the O button is the yes/continue/ok type button and the X button was cancel/back. Don't know if you Americans have that same problem or if that is only on the European version. But it's the complete opposite of every other game. Very confusing!

Yep, it was that way in the states too. That's the way the controller buttons were meant to be, but for the most part only Japanese games kept it.

bartman87
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 10:01:36 AM »

I beat the Raven tank
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 10:08:46 AM »

I beat the Raven tank

Excellent work, my friend. Is this your first time with the game? What do you think?

The second checkpoint will be up soon.

bartman87
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 11:20:48 AM »

This is my first time playing this game and I love it
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 01:28:46 PM »

This is my first time playing this game and I love it

Awesome! I'm so glad to hear it.

The checkpoint for week two is up. This one should take you all a little bit longer to get to, and I'd also encourage you to take your time, as this is probably the coolest chunk of the game.

Enjoy and don't forget to check in everybody!

UNFORGIVINGPAIN
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 05:45:16 PM »

Just passed Psycho Mantis. Taking a break at Sniper Wolf.

The controls took some time and I still mess up from time to time. Especial after playing 10 hours of Phantom Pain this week. I killed Meryl, because I was trying to use a choke for a knock out. I remember now how frustrating and unforgiving games could be. I died at least six times just getting to the elevator at the opening of the game. the Game Over screen is a classic with the gun shot sound when you make your selection. This game is great. It takes me back to a simpler time in my life. It also reminds me of how far video games have advanced.

Am I the only one who thinks DARPA Chief Donald Anderson looks like a Minecraft villager?
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 05:55:44 AM »

I've started this game three times (on three consoles --> PS1, PS2, DC) and for some reason have never followed through.  I believe people who say it's the greatest game of all time... it's just that stealth/stalking games have never been my forte.  Anyways, I would love to play with you guys, so let's go!

it's thinking
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 07:51:07 AM »

"It's on the back of the CD case."

CIB is the only way!

it's thinking
UNFORGIVINGPAIN
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 10:41:05 AM »

"It's on the back of the CD case."

CIB is the only way!
Yes, the fourth wall breaks are amazing. Although I sold my first copy of MGS which was a Greatest Hits, I remember how awesome that was. Unfortunately they did not put Meryl's Codec on the back of Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection for PS2. That is the only copy I currently own, but my playthrough adventure is still an enjoyable one.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 11:01:07 AM »

I didn't realize it wasn't on the back of that edition. What a strange oversight. Here's the original if anyone needs it, but I hope we're all past that point in the game.

@Oatbob: Glad to have you aboard and I hope playing with the group will inspire you to complete the game. It's worth it, trust me!

OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2015, 05:37:57 PM »

The controls can take a little getting used to for someone new to the game. I would argue that this game is easier to go back than something like a Resident Evil with tank controls. The key is "learning" what each button does and how they relate to what snake does automatically, like sticking to walls.

It can certainly be frustrating when you're caught in a crawl and the enemies can unload into you because the standing up animation can take very long especially if you're frazzled from being discovered.

I'm playing the bleem! for Dreamcast version, so the controls are even wonkier.  The wall-stick is conveniently still on the analog with normal movement.  D-pad left and right are the R1/L1 triggers (item/weapon equip), while the actual triggers are the L2/R2 (item/weapon select).  D-pad down is the codec, and I have to remember face buttons, but that's about it.  Oh, and the Japanese X-O flip...

it's thinking
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2015, 06:11:44 PM »

Tank down!

Also, for your viewing pleasure:

it's thinking
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »