RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:09:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | February 2016 Community Playthough - Folklore 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: February 2016 Community Playthough - Folklore  (Read 14225 times)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 05:49:27 PM »

I'm going to have to disagree about the side quests being forced. There wasn't a single time I felt compelled to do one and nothing from within the game required me to stop all progress to put some time into a side quest. I will agree that they're unnecessary. Maybe I just didn't care enough about the villagers to do more side quests. Suzette was mildly interesting, but I didn't have any investment in other townsfolk. The main game gave me enough to uncover the motives of Ellen and Keats and that was enough for me.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2016, 06:25:55 PM »

"Forced" in terms of the developers forcing them into the game for little or no reason. Not forced in that you have you have to do them Floyd.

Also, if you didn't do the split Suzette sidequests before Chapter 7, you missed out on that side of the story, which was interesting.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:27:46 PM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »

Ahh... Got ya.

I missed the Suzette side quests. Went back and read a walkthrough now I'm kind of regretting not doing them. Oh well, we've got Youtube for situations like that.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 11:14:36 AM »

I missed the Suzette side quests. Went back and read a walkthrough now I'm kind of regretting not doing them. Oh well, we've got Youtube for situations like that.

Yeah, I guess that's one of my issues with the game. I typically like to "complete" a game to it's fullest (unless it's extravagant and super, unnecessarily time-consuming); however, Folklore allows you to play straight through the game if you want and doesn't require any side questing. Hell, I didn't even know about the barkeeps daughter Charlotte and another character you can find in the barkeep's house (didn't even know you could enter the barkeep's house), until near the end of the game where I did some side questing.  I feel like they should have either made these side quests mandatory or at least pushed you more toward them in terms of letting you know they added to the overall narrative.  Instead, they feel kind of necessary or tacked on. Also, if more valuable/helpful items were added to the side quests, that would have also added to the appeal of them.  Again, like a few other things in this game, they just became another thing that seemed tacked on and that took away from the overall cohesive feel of the game.  I like this game, but it feels rushed and undertested in some areas.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2016, 12:32:42 AM »

That's a good point about the player not being informed about side quests. I understand that they offer additional content and insight to the game world, but in a game as small as Folklore side quests become more important. I think that if the village wasn't so empty (absolutely no NPCs wonder or even stand around outside their homes) then side questing would seem a little more interesting or worthwhile.

The lack of content and a lot of this game's flaws could be the result of the game being developed during the PS2 era and Sony telling Game Republic to change gears, hurry up and get the game on PS3. That's just my theory.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2016, 09:17:41 AM »

I put the ole end boss to rest last night and finished the game.  This should be a fun one to discuss. Smiley

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2016, 06:36:52 PM »

Finally finished! Luckily, the end boss took me a couple less tries than that darn chapter 3 boss.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2016, 08:16:17 PM »

Finally finished! Luckily, the end boss took me a couple less tries than that darn chapter 3 boss.

Yeah, I think a few of us can agree with that statement. Nice work Pam!

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2016, 09:41:38 PM »

Yeah, I think a few of us can agree with that statement. Nice work Pam!

Really? The chapter 3 boss went down in one try for me, but the final boss took four attempts.

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2016, 10:52:02 PM »

With Ellen the chapter 3 boss took me 4 tries I think. I didn't even get a segment off before that last attempt. I found it much easier with Keats though.

Last boss took me 3 tries.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2016, 04:06:01 PM »

Same, I found it much easier with Keats. Part of that was playing with him second and knowing that pattern, but I also thought that Ellen's slash folk had a pretty poor hitbox compared to Keat's lightning folk.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length