RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:23:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August 2016 Community Playthrough - Legend of Zelda & Jaws (NES) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: August 2016 Community Playthrough - Legend of Zelda & Jaws (NES)  (Read 38781 times)
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2016, 08:28:26 AM »

They should have skipped the open world elements and made it a side scrolling shooter. The back and forth to power up makes the loop of the game too repetitive. The Jaws tracker is one of the most worthless upgrades in any game as the giant shark fin will tell you Jaws is near. Despite its reputation I liked Jaws for what it is a shoot em up with a collection/travel mini game.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2016, 07:15:28 PM »

Jaws was not a bad game just frustrating sometimes.  But I have been grinding at Zelda, and now just finished the 5th dungeon. I should have played it more when I first got it, I did the mistake of buying 2 red medicines and wasted 70 rupees, oops Smiley so far so good. [img width=700 height=393]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160803/9ecdfd652b9f365d14f595379424ec81.jpg[/img]

Also I was thinking if I finish Zelda early I will try some of the rom hacks, I bought an everdrive just to play the homebrews and hacks

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2016, 08:38:56 PM »

Don't forget, we're playing the 2nd quest as well.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2016, 10:17:36 PM »

So I tried jaws for a few minutes this morning and ran into an island and got taken to a shooting part.  I couldn't figure out how to get out of that screen until suddenly I was back on the boat so apparently you just shoot the various water life until you get zapped back to the boat.  From what I can figure out:

Stars = Points
Shells = Some sort of money?
Crabs = ?

I did get hit by Jaws and I kept shooting him like crazy but eventually he ate me.  I will delve into this more later in the week.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2016, 07:18:34 AM »

So I tried jaws for a few minutes this morning and ran into an island and got taken to a shooting part.  I couldn't figure out how to get out of that screen until suddenly I was back on the boat so apparently you just shoot the various water life until you get zapped back to the boat.  From what I can figure out:

Stars = Points
Shells = Some sort of money?
Crabs = ?

I did get hit by Jaws and I kept shooting him like crazy but eventually he ate me.  I will delve into this more later in the week.

Correct.  Your boat striking something makes you go into a timed underwater event.  You basically just have to survive to move on in your boat. At a later part in the game, this will play a different way in that you will only have that allotted amount of time to take down all of Jaw's energy.  Starfish are points, shells are currency, which you trade to power up at the ports, and the crabs I believe increase your swimming speed (could be wrong here and going from memory).  The smaller sharks always drop shells.  Try to collect these items before they hit the bottom, since you'll later encounter jellyfish that go from the bottom of the screen to the top and can surprise you.  I think you have to power up at the ports at least 3 times before you can have a chance to take down Jaw's energy within the time limit. However, if you're a new player, you probably want to power up 4 times.

Anyone found the mini-sub yet?

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2016, 01:36:35 PM »

@Shaggy:

Crabs=
Spoiler (hover to show)

@singlebanana:
Spoiler (hover to show)

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2016, 01:46:22 PM »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH, so that's when that appears?  Had no idea, but that's good to know. Grin

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2016, 06:41:42 AM »

My highest score so far is just above 61,000.  So from playing this, here is assumption of how to play the game.  Do you always have to get the tracker?  I assume so, even though it is useless.  I'll list it as a spoiler in case anyone wants to figure this out on their own.
Spoiler (hover to show)

When does the Bonus Scene kick in?  For me it's kicked in after I had a small shark but not every time I had one in the shooting sequence.  Is that the trigger?  I finally figured out in the Bonus Scene that you can actually slow down and  speed up the play by pushing left or right but it doesn't help too much.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2016, 06:44:12 AM »

I take it the mini sub appears randomly on the screen after 30,00 points?  I found it once but it wasn't in the same spot the next time.  It also sucks that each time you die that you lose the tracker, 1 power level, and a number of shells (5, I think).

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2016, 06:46:25 AM »

High score: 79,360

SMS set complete!
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2016, 07:09:01 AM »

@Shaggy: You are correct in your assumption.

Every time you die you lose:

Speed
Half of your shells
1 Power Level

You always have to get the tracker.

Sub appears every 30,000.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:10:34 AM by Addicted » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2016, 07:29:28 AM »

BUENOS NOCHES JAWS!

[img width=700 height=393]http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/necrom99/Playthroughs/IMG_20160803_190355831_zps3k32fmg4.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:34:21 AM by singlebanana » Logged

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2016, 07:59:40 AM »

@singlebanana: Conglatulations! You have finished a great game.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2016, 07:42:10 AM »

I think I'm going to plug away at Zelda and try Jaws on those when I have less free time. Going back to the first Zelda game has been tougher than I thought. Maybe being so familiar with Link to the Past has made this harder.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2016, 08:03:35 AM »

Like ridin' a bike for me.  Let me know if you have any questions or need any hints. Happy to help.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Also beat Jaws again last night.  Took a longer time with the game and worked to get the mini-sub. Grin

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length