RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:57:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August 2016 Community Playthrough - Legend of Zelda & Jaws (NES) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: August 2016 Community Playthrough - Legend of Zelda & Jaws (NES)  (Read 38799 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2016, 09:02:36 AM »

For those of you having a tough go at The Legend of Zelda, here's a bit of a guide to get you started to make the game the least frustrating as possible.  So here's a Beginner's Guide to Least Frustration:

1. Get bombs and a blue candle early - You should pick up some bombs on your way through the first dungeon, but the blue candle will need to be purchased from a shopkeeper.  In the outworld, there are several bushes that can be burned by the candle that reveal stairs and some rocky formations that can be bombed to reveal shops and people who will give you gems. However, be careful, since going down some stairs will cost you rupees (door fee). However, there are a few heart containers in some of these spots and having more life goes a long way, especially early.  You will need to find these hidden heart containers if you want to max out your hearts (but it's not necessary). If you get super frustrated, maps to these treasures are readily available online.

2. Get the blue ring early - one of the best, but most expensive items in the game is the blue ring. This ring reduces the damage you take by half.  It can only be found in one place in the outworld (in an easy to access location), but costs 250 rupees!!  Collecting this many rupees when they typically appear 1 to 5 at a time seems tasking, but there are at least two places where you can quickly get 100 rupees each.

Spoiler (hover to show)

3. Acquire the Letter to the Lady to get medicine - For newer players, it's important to get the medicine early.  Blue medicine fills all of your life upon use, and red medicine fills all of your life as well and turns blue after the first use (essentially, red is two fills). However, in order to get medicine, you have to find the letter to give to the lady first.  The letter can be found...

Spoiler (hover to show)

4. Upgrade your sword ASAP - Doing mas damage is always important in LoZ. Being able to dispatch many enemies quicker will help you clear rooms in dungeons faster and help you maintain hearts.  It's important to note that being able to acquire a new sword is not based on how many dungeons you complete (though you get a new container for beating the last dungeon boss in each), but by how many heart containers you have. You need 5 containers total for the white sword and 12 for the magical sword. This means acquiring the hidden outworld containers early is great because it means you can get your swords much earlier, even upgrading to the white sword before the first dungeon!  

5. NPCs give good advice - Unlike many early games, the NPCs in LoZ give good advice and it's typically not too cryptic so that you can figure it out. Pay for it when needed or consult a walkthrough. Just don't get discouraged.

Hope this helps some of you.  If you have any questions, need advice, or feel stuck, please ask for help or send a PM.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:12:46 AM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2016, 09:28:35 AM »

Added some achievements for fun!  If any of you experienced players can think of any I missed or want to add some, let me know. Grin

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2016, 10:13:33 AM »

Here's a tip for beginners. Never, ever, ever, EVER pick the Red Potion over the Heart Container.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2016, 10:46:34 AM »

Here's a tip for beginners. Never, ever, ever, EVER pick the Red Potion over the Heart Container.

YES!!!!  Read my mind.  I neglected to add this, but thought about it when doing the write-up.  Thanks for the mention!

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2016, 11:01:58 AM »

Jaws reminds me so much of Friday the 13th, as it should seeing both were developed by LJN.  In both games you meet the final boss randomly throughout the game and must power up enough to defeat them.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2016, 11:49:17 AM »

Jaws reminds me so much of Friday the 13th, as it should seeing both were developed by LJN.  In both games you meet the final boss randomly throughout the game and must power up enough to defeat them.

That's a good point. One is a shooter and the other is a bit "shooterish".  However the final boss encounter isn't so random in Jaws as it is in F13.  You can park your boat at any time and just wait on him to attack you. Still, I like the comparison. Wink

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2016, 12:33:36 PM »

Jaws reminds me so much of Friday the 13th, as it should seeing both were developed by LJN.  In both games you meet the final boss randomly throughout the game and must power up enough to defeat them.

That's a good point. One is a shooter and the other is a bit "shooterish".  However the final boss encounter isn't so random in Jaws as it is in F13.  You can park your boat at any time and just wait on him to attack you. Still, I like the comparison. Wink

True, Friday the 13th was truly random but in Jaws it was more like an RPG random but I see a similar styles between the two games, which is believable seeing they were both made by LJN.

SMS set complete!
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2016, 01:49:11 PM »

Friday the 13th and Jaws, only shared LJN as a publisher. Fun Fact: Friday the 13th was actually developed by Atlus.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2016, 09:12:56 PM »

Friday the 13th and Jaws, only shared LJN as a publisher. Fun Fact: Friday the 13th was actually developed by Atlus.

Doh, you're right.  The games are still similar. Tongue

SMS set complete!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2016, 10:33:57 AM »

Okay, I'm going to tackle TLoZ.  I didn't get that far in LttP, but I have more of a feel for the gameplay style now, so I want to go back to the original and see what all the fuss is about.  I'm in!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2016, 04:00:28 PM »

Cool!

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2016, 12:04:27 PM »

Completed all of these: (Next stop Star Ocean 4)

ZELDA
1. Acquire the blue ring
2. Acquire the white sword
3. Acquire the magical sword
4. Acquire the Power Bracelet
5. Summon a tornado and dodge it
6. Use the raft and ladder to acquire two outland heart containers
7. Find the proper use for the Enemy Bait
8. Acquire all of the heart containers
9. Finish the 1st quest
10. Finish the 2nd quest

JAWS
2. Reach Power Level 5
3. Acquire the mini-sub
4. Defeat Jaws
5. Defeat Jaws by using only one strobe

1st Quest:

Spoiler (hover to show)

2nd Quest:

Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 12:06:05 PM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2016, 01:19:04 PM »

For the achievements I have done 1 thru 6, I don't know what the tornado did so I dodged it Smiley how many heart can you get? I also used my note to get a red medicine, after I used it the notes back and the old lady doesn't want it... what can I do to get more red medicine with the note in the way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »

@douglie007: There are a total of 16 hearts.

You should be able to buy medicine from any old lady. You only need to show the note once to any of the old ladies.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2016, 04:16:54 PM »

Correct and correct.

Congrats Addicted!  Im currently through dungeon 4 in the 2nd quest. Frustrating at times, but fun!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length