RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 08:09:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August 2016 Community Playthrough - Legend of Zelda & Jaws (NES) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Print
Author Topic: August 2016 Community Playthrough - Legend of Zelda & Jaws (NES)  (Read 40166 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »

Nice job FRO. I've been following most of your live tweets.

And as for you Duke, here's your motivation.

[img width=700 height=393]http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/necrom99/Playthroughs/IMG_20160810_202235844_zpsfcjw4h6c.jpg[/img]

Up to Dungeon 8 on the 2nd quest.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2016, 02:15:36 PM »

@FRO: Buy a large shield. You'll be able to block almost all attacks then.

I've completed objectives 1-9 on LoZ, and hope to get started on the second quest for a little bit tonight.

I have the large shield, but it isn't blocking the Zora's attacks, nor does it block the swords thrown by those centaur-looking pieces of excrement.  Is there a specific shop with a shield that I need to buy to ward off that stuff?

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2016, 06:28:17 PM »

If you can't block those things, you don't have the large shield. You can look at Link and tell the difference. If you bought one in the past, you might have had yours eaten by a Like Like (ravioli looking monster).

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2016, 06:44:16 PM »

If you can't block those things, you don't have the large shield. You can look at Link and tell the difference. If you bought one in the past, you might have had yours eaten by a Like Like (ravioli looking monster).

+1 the Like Likes can eat it, but if you defeat them quick enough when they gooble you, you can save it

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2016, 07:17:17 AM »

I am so mad, went to play Zelda and my save is gone the other two's fine but mine is gone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2016, 08:19:27 PM »

Hey guys, super late to the party here. Started LoZ last night and just completed the third dungeon.

Using a walkthrough and the Retron 5's handy save state feature to cheat and cheese my way through the game because I am modern filthy casual trash.

The gameplay is kind of addictive but the music gets annoying fast. I don't want to turn it off though because I love the sound effects.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2016, 09:19:01 AM »

I am so mad, went to play Zelda and my save is gone the other two's fine but mine is gone

Did you hold reset while turning off the power? That warning is no joke.
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2016, 10:05:48 AM »

Did you hold reset while turning off the power? That warning is no joke.

I think I found out what happened.. I was playing it on my Messiah NEX and I think that corrupted the save. but yes I always held the reset.  The only time I dont is if I was playing on my Retro Duo portable.

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2016, 10:37:43 AM »

I just started today. I beat my first dungeon, in a creepy tree, and then spent 30 minutes wandering around the overworld map not knowing how to get to another dungeon. I may have to look up a map.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2016, 11:00:23 AM »

I just started today. I beat my first dungeon, in a creepy tree, and then spent 30 minutes wandering around the overworld map not knowing how to get to another dungeon. I may have to look up a map.

Yeah, expecting those who have never played LoZ to beat it in a month is asking a great deal. Especially, adults with adult responsibilities. We've never discouraged or chastised members for using maps or walkthroughs. Our number one rule for participating is play how you want to maximize your enjoyment.

Level 2 is far east and a little north. Around the green forest with the Moblins. Good luck and please post any questions for help here any time!

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2016, 12:41:09 PM »

The game came with a partial map and hints. Go for it.

Guess who finished the 2nd quest?
[img width=700 height=525]http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/jackcrow2000/61048C20-B2BF-4ABD-B705-720D827725F3_zpsj01ukgfu.jpg[/img][img width=700 height=525]http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/jackcrow2000/DA76D466-32AC-4A6D-8ADB-D612CAAF3E63_zpssg81vqyt.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:33:11 PM by Duke.Togo » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2016, 05:38:53 PM »

Nice work Duke ole buddy

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2016, 08:34:51 PM »

I'm now midway through the 5th dungeon. Overall, I'm enjoying it a lot. The dungeons in particular are my favourite.

I've always been a big fan of Star Tropics and I knew that was greatly influenced by Zelda, but it's amazing just how much they borrowed. Almost all the enemies in ST are exactly like enemies in Zelda both in appearance and behaviour.

One thing I don't like, which isn't zelda-specific rather a complaint I have about a lot of retro games, is all the secrets. I think secrets can be well done but imagining playing this in the 80s, trying to blow up random walls and somehow finding out you need to burn the 5th bush from the right with a candle just seems ridiculous. I looked up a walkthough and picked up extra heart containers and the blue ring. With those things, the dungeons have not been very difficult. However, without them, it would probably be quite tough. The idea of completely missing upgrades and items because they're very difficult to find bothers me.

Other than that, the only thing that really bugs me gameplay-wise is the knockback when you get hit by something. I've experienced being bounced between two enemies a few times and it sure is annoying.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2016, 09:35:26 PM »

Having played these games back in the 80s, what you say is true. It was difficult to find out all of the secrets, and that's how they added "value" to the games back then in some cases. Where many NES games can be quickly beaten, getting a game that would take you hours and hours to play through made you feel like you got your money's worth. I played games like this and Metroid to death back then, and if you got stuck you had the Nintendo hint line, Nintendo's own guide, or Nintendo Power. Probably the best part was just sharing stories and tips with your friends at school. Once one person figured something out, the word got around really quickly. Different days.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2016, 09:54:20 PM »

Having played these games back in the 80s, what you say is true. It was difficult to find out all of the secrets, and that's how they added "value" to the games back then in some cases. Where many NES games can be quickly beaten, getting a game that would take you hours and hours to play through made you feel like you got your money's worth. I played games like this and Metroid to death back then, and if you got stuck you had the Nintendo hint line, Nintendo's own guide, or Nintendo Power. Probably the best part was just sharing stories and tips with your friends at school. Once one person figured something out, the word got around really quickly. Different days.

+1. Those days were incredible. I remember these school yard and lunchroom conversations vividly. Good times.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length