RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:58:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The Physical Form Forum 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: The Physical Form Forum  (Read 114318 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2016, 09:05:15 PM »

Well **** SEGA you messed up on that:

https://www.amazon.com/gp...o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the statue but no physical disc?  Huh

It looks like Limited Run is asking to fix this:

https://twitter.com/Limit...status/775705896924090370

I agree, I would have pre-ordered this but no physical game!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2016, 07:49:53 AM »

Thomas Was Alone getting physical on PS4 & Vita Smiley

http://thevitalounge.net/...ne-gets-physical-release/

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2016, 12:34:36 PM »

Yeah, I'm extremely disappointed in SEGA for not giving us a disc with that CE. 

I added TWA, Deponia, and, thanks to Addicted's alertness, Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors on PS4. Day One baby! Smiley

Keelah se'lai
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2016, 07:17:05 AM »

I forgot to add Owlboy is getting a physical release from IndieBox.

http://store.theindiebox....-editions/products/owlboy

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2016, 02:16:38 PM »

The mini documentary on Limited Run Games is out:

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
lendelin
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2016, 12:16:42 AM »

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors looks fantastic, and from what I hear it plays fantastic too. I'll get this one for sure, thank god this game gets a physical release.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:19:10 AM by lendelin » Logged
lendelin
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2016, 01:02:27 AM »

Watching the video about Limited Run Games ('My Life in Gaming' is one of my favorite game youtube channels) I have to make a comment:

I'm heavily opposed to digital relases, I only buy physical releases and I'm really glad that we get more and more physical releases of great games from smaller developers.

However, Limited Run Games is a different kind of a breed. I dislike the idea to release a game with the intention to limit the production run right away in order to increase the value of a game. As a gamer AND collector it doesn't make sense to me to see the value of a new game only in its rarity. Customers who cancel their orders because a game doesn't sell out within hours because they suspect it is not rare from the getgo? There is so much wrong with this attitude, I don't wanna get into this nonsense.

For older games and overlooked games, rarity for collectors is important and makes sense. So does the limitation of production numbers for the publishers for economic reasons, mostly cost and profit calculation. But I just don't get it why great games should be very limited in order to hype the rarity and value of a game in order to make sure it sells. On the other hand maybe I'm just too jaded or too lazy to run to my laptop and get games at a certain time and rearrange my schedule so I can say I got this RARE game. Smiley

So far I don't have any Limited Run-games. It is just too bad that great games like Futuridium und the new Oddworld are so limited that I can't buy them anymore. And I'm afraid it stays this way. I'm way too old to run after every fashionable movement and certainly too old and too cheap to spend more than the original price.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:07:49 AM by lendelin » Logged
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2016, 04:29:14 AM »

Watching the video about Limited Run Games ('My Life in Gaming' is one of my favorite game youtube channels) I have to make a comment:

I'm heavily opposed to digital relases, I only buy physical releases and I'm really glad that we get more and more physical releases of great games from smaller developers.

However, Limited Run Games is a different kind of a breed. I dislike the idea to release a game with the intention to limit the production run right away in order to increase the value of a game. As a gamer AND collector it doesn't make sense to me to see the value of a new game only in its rarity. Customers who cancel their orders because a game doesn't sell out within hours because they suspect it is not rare from the getgo? There is so much wrong with this attitude, I don't wanna get into this nonsense.

For older games and overlooked games, rarity for collectors is important and makes sense. So does the limitation of production numbers for the publishers for economic reasons, mostly cost and profit calculation. But I just don't get it why great games should be very limited in order to hype the rarity and value of a game in order to make sure it sells. On the other hand maybe I'm just too jaded or too lazy to run to my laptop and get games at a certain time and rearrange my schedule so I can say I got this RARE game. Smiley

So far I don't have any Limited Run-games. It is just too bad that great games like Futuridium und the new Oddworld are so limited that I can't buy them anymore. And I'm afraid it stays this way. I'm way too old to run after every fashionable movement and certainly too old and too cheap to spend more than the original price.

Completely agree with this. It's great Limited Run are making these physical releases. But the way they release so few copies is completely illogical. How are they benefitting from the games going out of stock in 5 mins? How are they benefitting from the games doubling in price straight away on eBay?

Instead of helping those who like physical releases they are just giving the finger to those too slow or who missed a game.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:06:22 AM by Schlibby » Logged
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2016, 08:38:17 AM »

In last night's My Life in Gaming livesteam with Limited Run they let it slip that Salt and Sanctuary physical is coming. I'll post a link to the livestream once the archive goes up.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:16:55 PM by Addicted » Logged

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2016, 06:58:11 PM »

Hear! Hear!

Getting access to physical PS Vita games is painful enough without publishers capitalising on the fact.  I like the fact that there is a company dedicated to physical-ising digital exclusives, but LRG releases are, in their own way, just as bad as digital-only releases.
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2016, 01:00:21 PM »

Suda51's game needs to be added:

http://www.hardcoregamer....cal-edition-on-pc/226888/

Limited Run Game's first PC title.

lendelin
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »

@Schlibby and Raidou:
I agree. I have more respect for publishers like Soedesco, Rising Star, XSeed and many others who take a risk than Limited Run whose business model is based on the hype of rarity and in the end is tailored more towards outrageous resellers than gamers. That's why I don't want to be part of this game.
lendelin
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2016, 07:13:52 PM »

@Schlibby: Limited Run's business model makes a lot of sense, and as we can all see, it works. It is based on anticipated rarity and therefore on hype.

Let's say they would release a game without making the production number public (let's say 4000). I guarantee you that the game would not sell out in days or hours. It would be up for weeks and months. Only the perception it might be too late in a couple of days (collectors) and the prospect to sell it for five times as much (terrible resellers) is a guarantee that all the produced games will sell  --  and this for the original well-calculated price and the calculated profit margin. And it is exactly this business model I heavily dislike.

If a lot of people think that Limited Run-games will be rare and pricey or even smell a future Stadium Events, I'd be very cautious.  In my experience, the games which are anticipated as rare and hyped as such will not be rare! There are so many examples for this in the last twenty years. However, the games no-one talks about, the games which fly under the radar and have similar low production runs and/or are underappreciated when it comes to gameplay, THESE are the games which turn out to be pricey and rare.

I bought Lumo a couple of days ago. GREAT game. WONDERFUL game. (It is a Solstice (NES) clone through and through, and if you liked this game and Equinox (SNES) do yourself a favor and buy it.) No hype, no anticipated rarity, no ebay resellers, no babble. Just a great game easily available and cheap; and it might be that the demand and price for the new Oddworld by Limited Run will be very modest in a couple of years (because collectors who are interested in the game have it already) and the demand and price for Lumo high. That's why I'm very careful when it comes to speculations about rarity, and I think that there is way too much craziness and money involved in the current collector's-game-market anyway. Noone needs a business model based on hype under these circumstances.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:45:48 PM by lendelin » Logged
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2016, 07:45:39 PM »

@Schlibby and Raidou:
I agree. I have more respect for publishers like Soedesco, Rising Star, XSeed and many others who take a risk than Limited Run whose business model is based on the hype of rarity and in the end is tailored more towards outrageous resellers than gamers. That's why I don't want to be part of this game.

This.  So this.  (also add Nighthawk Interactive on that publisher list.)

I've ordered some Limited Run games, which I immediately open, only because I desire to support physical releases (and several were titles I wanted.)  I for one support the 'free market' but even more, I desire for every video game to be available for 'reasonable' prices (to support the developers) and am supremely disappointed when a game's price makes it unavailable for many who want to play it.

Finding games like Lumo are exactly why I created this forum (and need to update it more regularly), because it is an excellent game that gets swept under the rug of more highly promoted titles.  (Also, see Assault Suit Leynos, released the same day I believe and for the same price.)  Lumo was great, and I already showed it off to a buddy who immediately went to buy it afterward.  He also played and enjoyed Futuridium (because he saw my physical copy) but he'll have to pick it up digitally, since it was a Limited Run game. Tongue

I'll be back later to update the list with the last few mentioned titles (and I already ordered Owlboy, woohoo!  Or who-who? XD )

Keelah se'lai
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2016, 12:36:59 PM »

Added Owlboy, the Silver Case, Marvel Pinball Vol. 1 and Geometry Wars 3. Looks like a lot of cheap stealth releases over the next few months!

Thanks for the contributions, guys. Smiley

Keelah se'lai
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length