RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:44:48 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | March 2017 Playthrough - Diablo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: March 2017 Playthrough - Diablo  (Read 29459 times)
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2017, 09:30:52 AM »

I played the PC versions several times in my youth. I never owned it so I had to play a friends house. This game has possibly my favorite atmosphere of any video game. The general creepy disgusting scary vibe I get when playing it is second to none. And the first time you encounter enemies like The Butcher or the Succubi is so freaking awesome. I remember playing through it as the Warrior and the Wizard, but I think I snubbed the Rogue. Gonna join in and try a Rogue run for March Smiley

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2017, 11:03:02 AM »

Hey guys and gals, the Diablo playthrough is right around the corner. I have posted checkpoints for the 4 weeks, which are basically based on the four areas of the original game (this will differ for those playing Hellfire).  Because this game will require participants to play at their own pace and since the story really isn't deep or spoilable (except for maybe the ending), I'm not putting a muzzle on game discussion, so feel free to discuss all you want.

Also, I'm looking for some achievements for the main post if anyone has anything they would like to add.  One thing pretty unique to Diablo is that quests can not only differ by class, but can also switch up with every new game.  This makes achievements a little tougher to pin down. However, I know that The Butcher is always available and I am adding it as an achievement. If any of you more seasoned players know of any others that show up across the board, please let me know and I will add it to the initial post.

I have to admit that the first time I played the game 20 years ago, I was very green to this style and became very frustrated.  This time around, I'm having a much better time because I am approaching the game much differently. In the next day or two, I'll be adding some tips under a spoiler tag in the main post, so you can check them out if you want. I'll also add anything that some of you would deem helpful to other participants.

Thanks, and let's have some fun! 

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
NeoMagicWarrior
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2017, 05:41:30 PM »

I cheated and started early...but you can watch some of my play through here:

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2017, 08:52:21 PM »

My daughter is disappointed that you didn't include The Butcher fight.... Ha ha!

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »

Made my way down to Level 7 last night and character is up to 15. Decided to try the Rogue out and stick solely to ranged weapons. Because of that I've put every stat so far into Dexterity and Strength, completely ignoring Magic and Vitality. This build has yet to disappoint. She is fast, doesn't miss and does enough damage that nothing gets remotely close to me. Feels kinda cheaty so far. I'm sure some of the bosses will prove to be a pain in the ass with my dangerously low vitality though. My item drops have been so crappy so far. I keep getting "Unique" drops and get super excited and then when I take them back to town to get identified they are typically "of the night", "of the fool" or "of pain" and have terrible effects that hurt my character and sell for a whopping 1 gold!

ACHIEVEMENTS:
**Diablo is unique in that available quests can change from game to game.  If anyone has any ideas for achievements for this game that are available across classes and overall availability, please let me know.**

1.Find Wirt the pegleg boy.
2. Enter the Catacombs.
3. Complete The Chamber of Bone.
4. Enter the Caves.
5. Enter Hell.
6. Finish two of three quests: The Butcher, The Poisoned Water Supply or The Curse of King Leoric
7. Finish either quest: Gharbad the Weak or Ogden's Sign
8. Finish two of three quests: The Magic Rock, Valor, or Halls of the Blind
9. Finish two of three quests: Zhar the Mad, Black Mushroom, or Anvil of Fury
10. Finish either quest: Lachdanan or Warlord of Blood
11. Destroy Archbishop Lazarus.
12. Defeat Diablo.

[img width=700 height=393]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2814/32342998204_bf7c6de25b_c.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:16:30 AM by Crabmaster2000 » Logged

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2017, 09:31:18 AM »

Your post reminds me of another Tip.  Be sure to get all of your items identified by the elder in town before selling them. Having them identified will earn you much more gold.

Well, today's the day!  Happy demon slaying to all!

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2017, 09:35:49 AM »

The movement speed in the original game is too slow. I'm glad they sped it up for Hellfire.

Achievements finished:

Spoiler (hover to show)

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2017, 09:38:34 AM »

The movement speed in the original game is too slow. I'm glad they sped it up for Hellfire.

Achievements finished:

Spoiler (hover to show)

I feel slow when I'm in town. When I'm in the dungeon it feels appropriate though.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2017, 09:42:34 AM »

Worked my way down to the final floor prior to Diablo last night. This Rogue build is crazy overpowered. Even against some of the bosses it's been a breeze just playing hit and run. I've not had a single amulet drop the entire game. Finally broke down and purchased one from good ole' Griswald. Tried to go back and clean up some of the quest in my log that I missed, but my game froze in the loading screen. Sucky.

I don't know if it's as bad on the PC side, but the time it takes to save a game is stupid long on the PS version of the game.

Here's what I'm looking like prior to taking on the Big Bad:

[img width=700 height=393]https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3871/32363084224_99d3dd9f76_c.jpg[/img]

1. Find Wirt the pegleg boy.
2. Enter the Catacombs.
3. Complete The Chamber of Bone.
4. Enter the Caves.
5. Enter Hell.
6. Finish two of three quests: The Butcher, The Poisoned Water Supply or The Curse of King Leoric
7. Finish either quest: Gharbad the Weak or Ogden's Sign
8. Finish two of three quests: The Magic Rock, Valor, or Halls of the Blind
9. Finish two of three quests: Zhar the Mad, Black Mushroom, or Anvil of Fury
10. Finish either quest: Lachdanan or Warlord of Blood
11. Destroy Archbishop Lazarus.
12. Defeat Diablo.

What's up with this? When I was searching for the Golden Elixir on Level 15 I found a spot that "Down to Level 16" appears, yet there are no stairs in site (and 16 isn't a thing I don't think). I goofed around there for a while, but couldn't make anything happen. Anyone know anything about it?

[img width=700 height=393]https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3770/33079574311_7962206b01_c.jpg[/img]

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »

I'm starting tonight.   I read the tips in nanner's first post (thanks, Rich) I might stream if anyone wants to watch someone who has no idea what they are doing in Diablo

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2017, 10:54:29 AM »

I don't know if it's as bad on the PC side, but the time it takes to save a game is stupid long on the PS version of the game.

What's up with this? When I was searching for the Golden Elixir on Level 15 I found a spot that "Down to Level 16" appears, yet there are no stairs in site (and 16 isn't a thing I don't think). I goofed around there for a while, but couldn't make anything happen. Anyone know anything about it?

[img width=700 height=393]https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3770/33079574311_7962206b01_c.jpg[/img]

The save on PC is instant with absolutely no lag. So great!

As far as the level 16 stairs, that's odd and not a part of the PC game.  I know that in the PC game, you have to go back to town and talk to the elder (Cain?...poor man's Sean Connery) again after the Lazarus battle to open the pentagram gateway to Diablo.

BTW, I found that Golden Elixir first the other day and swapped it with my own urine. Drink up. You're welcome.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2017, 11:00:47 AM »

You open the Diablo battle the exact same way in the PS version. This is something else. Something I can't actually figure out how to walk down. Programming error maybe?

And jokes on Lachdanan...he chugged the whole elixir!!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2017, 11:04:11 AM »

You open the Diablo battle the exact same way in the PS version. This is something else. Something I can't actually figure out how to walk down. Programming error maybe?

Yeah, sounds like an error.

And jokes on Lachdanan...he chugged the whole elixir!!

The undead are so susceptible to practical jokes.

Also, why don't you quit being a wiener and take out The Butcher? You are missing out on one of the best "s@#t your pants" scares in video game history.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2017, 11:05:59 AM »

I'm starting tonight.   I read the tips in nanner's first post (thanks, Rich) I might stream if anyone wants to watch someone who has no idea what they are doing in Diablo

Ooooh!  Shoot me a text with your Steam info. That could be enjoyable, especially explaining it to my in-laws who are over tonight.  What class are you playing Bil?

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2017, 11:26:36 AM »

I have a copy of Hellfire, for a first time playthrough do you suggest that I install Hellfire or play vanilla?  Don't know what my build will look like.  I;m usually a warrior type that doesn't pay attention to Magic but I dont know how that will work out in a game like this...may try to go rogue

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length