RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:09:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | December 2017 Site Competition - Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: December 2017 Site Competition - Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out  (Read 24958 times)
FatherJack
On Hiatus
United Kingdom
Awards: 2015 RFGENERATION TOP RUN N' GUNNER

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2017, 07:51:10 AM »

Here is my Gabby Jay knockout

* Super Punch-Out!! (U)002.png (20.09 KB, 256x224 - viewed 387 times.)

* Super Punch-Out!! (U)004.png (23.71 KB, 256x224 - viewed 379 times.)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2017, 10:20:33 AM »

Nice start to the Super Punch-Out event guys!  Scores have been updated to this point, but be sure to check them to ensure correctness.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2017, 08:33:16 AM »

Scores updated to here.

Oh look, there's a new sheriff in town! Wink

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2017, 09:59:53 AM »

Scores updated to here.

Oh look, there's a new sheriff in town! Wink

bickman2k
Director
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2017, 06:07:20 PM »

New times!

Gabby Jay

Masked Muscle

Mad Clown

Narcis Prince
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:53:05 AM by bickman2k » Logged

alatinolawyer
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2017, 07:49:10 AM »

Hey guys just wanted to pop in and say hello. Cartridge Club member here, but saw on Twitter the December contest and even though I missed the deadlines for NES submissions and I don't have time really to hook up the SNES Classic and play Super, I have enjoyed the time with Punch-Out on my 3DS thanks to VC. So cool reading everyone's posts and seeing how you're all doing. I just got up to Sandman which is further than I ever did as a kid when I'd have to go to a friend's house and maybe get up to Popinski. Happy New Years guys!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2017, 08:19:25 AM »

Hey guys just wanted to pop in and say hello. Cartridge Club member here, but saw on Twitter the December contest and even though I missed the deadlines for NES submissions and I don't have time really to hook up the SNES Classic and play Super, I have enjoyed the time with Punch-Out on my 3DS thanks to VC. So cool reading everyone's posts and seeing how you're all doing. I just got up to Sandman which is further than I ever did as a kid when I'd have to go to a friend's house and maybe get up to Popinski. Happy New Years guys!

Happy New Years to you as well!  Sorry that you couldn't get in on the competition this year, but glad that you got in a little time with Punch-Out! this month. 

As always, I'd love to hear your (and everyone else's) thoughts on these games.  A few questions that we addressed on the recording were: (1) What are your earliest memories of Punch-Out!/Super Punch-Out!?, and (2) In essence, Punch-Out! is a sports title. What do you think makes it such a beloved game and stand the test of time?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2017, 10:01:22 AM »

Scores updated to here. Please remember that the Battle Royale begins tomorrow.  If you posted times or achievements for either game during it's competition week, you can post new scores/achievements for either game starting tonight after midnight until the end of the year (server time).

bickman2k
Director
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2017, 10:17:47 AM »

So, I briefly talked about this on Twitter early on.

I first played Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! at a neighbor's house. I never owned it growing up. I think I was probably 6 or 7 the first time I played it. After some practice, I could get to Bald Bull, but could never beat him. I got to the Bull Charge in the round and then just kept dodging. I didn't know that you could hit him at all during that, so I kept dodging, eventually just getting knocked out after moving too slow.

I have always enjoyed Punch-Out!! and really spent a lot of time honing my skills when it came out on the eShop. I bought it on both the 3DS and Wii U. Even though the later fights got tough, I still had a ton of fun learning the tricks and picking up new methods to take down fighters even faster. I finally was able to beat Mr. Dream probably 2-3 years ago with a lot of practice.

Super Punch-Out!! was a game that I purchased with some birthday money from Toys R Us. I bought it along with Zoop... I think I was 12. I spent a lot of time working through the game, picking up the quirks, and eventually finding and beating the Special Circuit. It was tough, but a lot of fun! After I finally beat the game, I worked on getting my times down on each fighter so I could have the fastest time on each. It may not beat the original, but I feel like it is still a great entry in the series.

I think one of the reasons that Punch-Out!! is so beloved and holds up so well is that it doesn't take itself too seriously. If this was a pure boxing game, it loses a lot of its charm. I don't think the fighters and their personalities could show as well and the mechanics of fighting would completely change.

I've seen a couple of people who have called Punch-Out!! a rhythm game more than a boxing game. I had never considered that side of things before, but it's absolutely true. The fighters have a tell and if you get them just right, you either stun them or can even get a knock down. The cartoon graphics (rather than a realistic look) age incredibly well. And the gameplay is solid. Simple controls on your end coupled with a mix of fighting styles for your opponents means that even though your options are limited, you still can use that limited moveset to defeat your opponent.

wattswc
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2017, 11:28:29 PM »

Didn't want to disappear without posting my result, despite not being able to beat Super Macho Man on *either* version.

Gaby Jay - 21.01
Masked Guy - 1.23.07
Mad Clown - 1.42.01

Minor
Major

https://imgur.com/a/Ovmga

Maybe next year the RFGen competition will be Overwatch and I'll rule with an Iron Fist. Thanks for the games this year guys, and congrats to the winner.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2018, 08:29:30 AM »

Maybe next year the RFGen competition will be Overwatch and I'll rule with an Iron Fist. Thanks for the games this year guys, and congrats to the winner.

Thanks for participating Will!  Hope that you enjoyed your time over the holidays with the Punch-Out! series.

Overwatch was a game that we had considered for a December competition, but with the price of the game still a little high and since we'd only be able run it on PS4 (since I don't have an Xbox One), we thought it might lack participation.  With that said, we also kicked around several other ideas that involved breaking members up into teams.  I'd like to revisit this idea for next December and of course, am always open for suggestions.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2018, 08:33:14 AM »

BIG CONGRATULATIONS to bickman2k, our new 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Thanks to all who participated and made December another great, fun-filled month!  If you enjoy the Punch-Out! series, be sure to tune in to the next Playcast episode where we discuss these games, pick our Top 5 favorite playthroughs of 2017, and reveal the best game we played in 2017.

FatherJack
On Hiatus
United Kingdom
Awards: 2015 RFGENERATION TOP RUN N' GUNNER

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2018, 08:51:11 AM »

Well done to bickman2k  Grin

Good effort to all who participated  Cool
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2018, 09:14:18 AM »

I made 3rd place, super punch out I sucked soo bad at, the Jamaican guy kept killing me.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length