RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:19:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | March 2019 Playthrough - Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: March 2019 Playthrough - Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest  (Read 19964 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: February 06, 2019, 01:12:10 PM »

Here's a funny video that has a walkthrough of the whole game.

On our last show I made an uninformed case against the GBC version. Here, Derek Alexander makes a strong case that it is actually the preferable version:

If playing the NES, may I suggest using a controller with turbo on it? I'm using my favorite NES controller, the NES MAX, and it is making the trash mob grind a whole lot more tolerable.

Participants
grayghost81
singlebanana
addicted
duke.togo
douglie007
disposed hero
link41
buriedonmars
reddmcknight

Checkpoints and Recommended Level*
Week 1 (3/1 - 3/9) - Key Shopping in Rimuldar - Level 9
Week 2 (3/10 - 3/16) - Rescue Gwaelyn - Level 12
Week 3 (3/17 - 3/31) - Slay the Dragonlord - Level 20

*Recommended Levels courtesy of the Explorer's Handbook.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:23:55 AM by GrayGhost81 » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 01:35:46 PM »

ah yeah, Dragon Warrior!

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 11:20:30 PM »

I ordered a copy of the Super Famicom version to try a new flavor as I have beat the NES version many times.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 12:07:55 PM »

I ordered a copy of the Super Famicom version to try a new flavor as I have beat the NES version many times.

Sounds awesome!  Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Thought about trying a handheld version. Any of them worth playing?

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 12:22:41 PM »

I've leveled up a character to level 13 on the NES on original hardware for the playthrough but I really wanna mess around with the Super Famicom version and the handheld versions.

Japan got a pretty sick collection for the Wii too. I'm an amateur pirate at best, but I cannot for the life of me find the iso for it on the web. 

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 02:21:57 PM »

I'm in... if I only I can finish 3

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 06:26:11 PM »

Sounds awesome!  Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Thought about trying a handheld version. Any of them worth playing?

I have the Game Boy Color version, but I've never put time into it. I may pop it in for a bit just for a comparison.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 07:51:36 PM »

I've been getting into the Dragon Quest series over the last couple of years, so it will be nice to experience the series' roots. I'm going to play the NES original.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 08:41:41 AM »

I found my NES copy so I'm going to join you guys this month!

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 10:12:26 AM »

I went ahead and got a head start on this game last night. I gotta say, I thought I was going to have a hard time getting into this one, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Sure, it's fairly primitive in comparison to other RPGs and it has its quirks, but it's not hampering the experience much for me. Although this game may be before my time, I'm still accustomed to the grind of early RPGs and don't have a problem spending hours fighting hordes of enemies. One thing I like about these older RPGs is just how satisfying it is every time you level up or get a new piece of equipment. It's also amazing to me how many of the series' conventions that still exist to this day got their start right here. To be honest, Dragon Quest as a series hasn't changed or evolved nearly as much as many other franchises over the years, and I really appreciate just how closely it sticks to its roots.

As far as my progress goes, I've explored the world map a bit but I'm not sure exactly where I'm supposed to go. I've already been to the cave and the town northwest of the starting castle, and I'm currently at level 5 if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure I need to go somewhere in the east, but I've explored that region a bit and couldn't find any towns, so I'll probably need to reference a map.  However, all the wandering around has been good for grinding XP and gold.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 12:15:47 PM »

Also starting out today and have been enjoying what I thought would be a total borefest. I should've given this game a shot a long time ago.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 01:43:06 PM »

Also starting out today and have been enjoying what I thought would be a total borefest. I should've given this game a shot a long time ago.

Glad that you guys are enjoying it so far!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 01:45:01 PM »

As far as my progress goes, I've explored the world map a bit but I'm not sure exactly where I'm supposed to go. I've already been to the cave and the town northwest of the starting castle, and I'm currently at level 5 if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure I need to go somewhere in the east, but I've explored that region a bit and couldn't find any towns, so I'll probably need to reference a map.  However, all the wandering around has been good for grinding XP and gold.

Yes, you want to head NE to the town of Kol next Disposed. You will want to grind up a bit first and I suggest around that town you have been to NW of the castle. The Magicians there drop about 10 gold each and I typically try to upgrade everything before moving on. After you cross the 2nd bridge to the east, the enemies get much stronger. Level 5 is tough going against Skeletons, Scorpions, and Magidrakees. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 01:48:58 PM by singlebanana » Logged

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »

I will go ahead and say I'm in for this one. Based on what I'm seeing, I'll be able to bring the GBC game to work with me and play on lunch breaks, and probably finish this in a couple weeks. Will be nice to finally be able to say I've played this game in some form, especially since DQXI looks really good, and I kinda want to play it.

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 04:05:11 PM »

Good to know magicians drop more gold. The slimes and others don't drop much at all. Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length