RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:00:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | September 2020 Playthrough - Gears of War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: September 2020 Playthrough - Gears of War  (Read 13196 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2020, 09:32:48 AM »

That's a pain. You must not be playing on easy. I was far away and in cover when the kryll swarmed in and they didn't kill me, but that may just be from playing on easy.

You do not have to do any tasks, only kill Rizz, so just focus on that. Maybe watch a youtube walkthrough for the difficulty level you're on?

I'm on the second difficulty (normal or casual?).  I didn't want to use a guide, trying to drum up some community conversation and old school playground talk. Smiley

Anyways, I think I figured out the Kryll part:
Spoiler (hover to show)

I still can't kill him, though.  I think being out in the open is what is killing me now.  UGH.  I'f unloaded a full Lancer and some Sniper Rifles into him and he still doesn't go down.  How long does it take?!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2020, 10:36:29 AM »

That's a pain. You must not be playing on easy. I was far away and in cover when the kryll swarmed in and they didn't kill me, but that may just be from playing on easy.

You do not have to do any tasks, only kill Rizz, so just focus on that. Maybe watch a youtube walkthrough for the difficulty level you're on?

I'm on the second difficulty (normal or casual?).  I didn't want to use a guide, trying to drum up some community conversation and old school playground talk. Smiley

Spoiler (hover to show)

I still can't kill him, though.  I think being out in the open is what is killing me now.  UGH.  I'f unloaded a full Lancer and some Sniper Rifles into him and he still doesn't go down.  How long does it take?!

Drop the Longshot and grab the Torque Bow and extra ammo for it. The explosion will cause the kryll to fly off of Raam leaving him open for damage from the Lancer. If the kryll are on Raam he’s invincible. I played on the normal difficulty and it only took a few minutes with this method.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2020, 02:28:22 PM »

I'm on the second difficulty (normal or casual?).  I didn't want to use a guide, trying to drum up some community conversation and old school playground talk. Smiley

Spoiler (hover to show)

I still can't kill him, though.  I think being out in the open is what is killing me now.  UGH.  I'f unloaded a full Lancer and some Sniper Rifles into him and he still doesn't go down.  How long does it take?!

Drop the Longshot and grab the Torque Bow and extra ammo for it. The explosion will cause the kryll to fly off of Raam leaving him open for damage from the Lancer. If the kryll are on Raam he’s invincible. I played on the normal difficulty and it only took a few minutes with this method.

Thank you!  I was wondering if when the Kryll are on him if he is invincible.  Now, I have to go back as far as I can and see if there is a Torque Bow somewhere.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2020, 03:35:34 PM »

I'm on the second difficulty (normal or casual?).  I didn't want to use a guide, trying to drum up some community conversation and old school playground talk. Smiley

Spoiler (hover to show)

Thank you!  I was wondering if when the Kryll are on him if he is invincible.  Now, I have to go back as far as I can and see if there is a Torque Bow somewhere.

I ended up finally beating it and with the sniper rifle.  I couldn't go back at all as the doors shut on me so I had to use the sniper.  Liked the ending and the game over all and want to play the 2nd one now.  A few things I didn't like was once you went through a door, the door shut and you couldn't go back through if needed to and the lack of an instructions manual.  When I first got the sniper rifle I figured it's a sniper rifle, it must scope right?  Well, I hit buttons and it didn't scope.  I didn't find out until I was in the theater that pushing the Right stick in accesses the scope and that was on accident.  My thumb slipped and ended up pushing in the Right stick.  I also found out through luck that when you are "attached" behind cover that you can fire grenades and your gun without aiming.  I accidentally shot my weapon without holding the aim button down.  This is another reason why we need manuals especially when the game doesn't tell you how to do these things.

SMS set complete!
Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2020, 05:21:18 PM »

Glad to hear you finally beat Raam. There should have been a Torque Bow in the train car right before you go outside to fight him. I think the reason why you didn’t see it is due to it being in a different place than than the longshot and the lancer that’s appear in the center of the car.

I’m trying to remember if there was a tutorial pop up that explained shooting from cover but I’m not sure, I honestly just remember it being a thing when I played the original on the 360 years ago. If it never does than that doesn’t really surprise me considering this game doesn’t explain a whole lot if you think about it. Looking back at it there really is a lot of information that is missing from the story of the first gears game. From the very beginning you don’t exactly have a full grasp of what is going on. When Marcus shows up on screen you see he’s in jail, but you don’t know why he is there or how long he’s been there. You also don’t know a whole lot about your enemy the locust horde. Except that they are a race of underground creatures that rose up during E day and started attacking everyone. When I first played this game many years ago I remember wondering why are the locust attacking, why did they come up to the surface, and how long were they down there? With all of these loose ends the story really relies on what’s happening in the moment and the overall goal/mission that Delta Squad is trying to complete.

With all that being said I think it’s the wanting to know what’s going on that drove me to play the first three games way back when, because I wanted to know why these things were happening. Luckily the games that follow fill in a lot of those holes. I’m really glad I decided to play through the current 6 games of the series. It’s really fueled my love for the franchise, and while I’m about halfway through Gears 5, I’m already looking forward to a Gears 6. And would recommend that everyone play the other games as well when you get a chance.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2020, 06:39:45 AM »

I’m trying to remember if there was a tutorial pop up that explained shooting from cover but I’m not sure, I honestly just remember it being a thing when I played the original on the 360 years ago. If it never does than that doesn’t really surprise me considering this game doesn’t explain a whole lot if you think about it. Looking back at it there really is a lot of information that is missing from the story of the first gears game. From the very beginning you don’t exactly have a full grasp of what is going on. When Marcus shows up on screen you see he’s in jail, but you don’t know why he is there or how long he’s been there. You also don’t know a whole lot about your enemy the locust horde. Except that they are a race of underground creatures that rose up during E day and started attacking everyone. When I first played this game many years ago I remember wondering why are the locust attacking, why did they come up to the surface, and how long were they down there? With all of these loose ends the story really relies on what’s happening in the moment and the overall goal/mission that Delta Squad is trying to complete.

That's the other thing, I had no idea why Marcus was in jail and who these locust are and why they have been attacking for years.  I didn't like that at all.  Why, why, why?!

SMS set complete!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2020, 09:55:16 PM »

It doesn't appear there are weekly checkpoints/goals to meet, at least not that I found. I had a little time off, so I jumped in on Friday afternoon and evening, and have been playing some today. Just finished Act 4. I'm enjoying it so far, though even on Casual difficulty, there are definitely some "gotcha" moments where you might get mobbed, if you're not expecting it, like that first encounter with the Berserker. I definitely like the wealth of checkpoints, though. Some spots in this game took me numerous tries to get through. the shakiness when you're firing a machine gun makes it hard to aim, and whether you're firing your not, you don't aim very quickly, so when enemies are moving around a lot, it's hard to pin them down. The auto-healing is a great feature, and if the game didn't have that, it would be totally brutal. Despite all the cover available in the game, there are still spots where it's hard not to take damage, like when you're in cover from a bunch of Locusts, but then the Wretches start coming your way. Either you stand up and take a few bullets while popping off Wretches, or you stand up to melee them and take a few bullets. Either way, you're gonna get hit.

Oh, and the Troika gunners can be a real pain.

Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2020, 08:23:57 AM »

That's the other thing, I had no idea why Marcus was in jail and who these locust are and why they have been attacking for years.  I didn't like that at all.  Why, why, why?!

That's because they want you to play the other games!

It doesn't appear there are weekly checkpoints/goals to meet, at least not that I found. I had a little time off, so I jumped in on Friday afternoon and evening, and have been playing some today. Just finished Act 4. I'm enjoying it so far, though even on Casual difficulty, there are definitely some "gotcha" moments where you might get mobbed, if you're not expecting it, like that first encounter with the Berserker. I definitely like the wealth of checkpoints, though. Some spots in this game took me numerous tries to get through. the shakiness when you're firing a machine gun makes it hard to aim, and whether you're firing your not, you don't aim very quickly, so when enemies are moving around a lot, it's hard to pin them down. The auto-healing is a great feature, and if the game didn't have that, it would be totally brutal. Despite all the cover available in the game, there are still spots where it's hard not to take damage, like when you're in cover from a bunch of Locusts, but then the Wretches start coming your way. Either you stand up and take a few bullets while popping off Wretches, or you stand up to melee them and take a few bullets. Either way, you're gonna get hit.

Oh, and the Troika gunners can be a real pain.

Honestly that's just kind of how these games are. More often then not your character will have to be a bullet sponge while you take care of enemies. It does get easier to manage though the more you are used to the games because you can get an understanding of how much damage you can take before you get killed/knocked down. Once you get that down you just go back into cover to heal then repeat. I will add that there is definitely some rough edges to the combat in the first game. I always hated shooting at enemies behind cover/troika's because even if you can sight them in and a have a clear shot at them, it rarely hits them. Its almost like being in cover has an invincibility to bullets. You can still use grenades to kill enemies in cover, but if you're using them to close emergence holes you probably don't have any to throw behind cover. Luckily this is improved on in the later games.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2020, 11:07:52 AM »

The discussion here is amazing, guys. Thank you for all of the input.

I'm sorry about there being no checkpoints. If it helps, there are five acts total and the game is about eight hours long depending on difficulty. Because of the aforementioned nonsensical/confusing story, I don't think there is much to spoil.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2020, 02:07:35 PM »

One thing that's nice about approaching the Troika gunners is that the game usually gives you a way to get around to the side, and snipe them from behind cover that way, while your partner is taking fire, so that helps. With only 5 acts, it looks like I'm almost done, so I might try and finish this up tonight or tomorrow, and then give my final thoughts.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2020, 11:59:23 PM »

Okay, so I beat it earlier this evening! I rage quit last night, after 30 or so attempts at the final encounter with Raam. That battle is quite a difficulty spike, after what is mostly a manageable game, with a couple tough spots. Despite watching a Hardcore difficulty video, showing a strategy for the final fight, I couldn't execute it well enough. I'd either get shredded by the Kryll, or cut to ribbons from the Troika he was toting. But after putting a little over an hour into it earlier, I reached the point where I was about to quit again, and on what was to be my final attempt for the evening, I pulled out the win. A solid game with some control quirks, and some minor complaints from me, regarding the combat. Still, I can see what they were going for, and if the combat and control is improved in future games, they're probably well worth playing.

Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2020, 11:12:19 AM »

If you have the time, you should definitely consider playing the other gears titles. They aren't huge time sinks, with the campaigns for each only running about 7 - 10 hours each. I'll also add that the controls are definitely better compared to the first game, and in my opinion continually improve as the series progress. Also with each title you learn more and more about the main characters as well as the locust horde and glimpses of what was happening during the Pendulum Wars

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2020, 01:18:20 PM »

If you have the time, you should definitely consider playing the other gears titles. They aren't huge time sinks, with the campaigns for each only running about 7 - 10 hours each. I'll also add that the controls are definitely better compared to the first game, and in my opinion continually improve as the series progress. Also with each title you learn more and more about the main characters as well as the locust horde and glimpses of what was happening during the Pendulum Wars

I don't have my 360 copy of Gears 2 at my house, is there a physical copy available for the One?

SMS set complete!
Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2020, 02:09:40 PM »

I don't have my 360 copy of Gears 2 at my house, is there a physical copy available for the One?

I don't believe so. I'm fairly certain they only redid the first one for the Xbox One. However all of them are on game pass (except gears 5, but that is on Game pass ultimate) if you have access to that.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2020, 07:10:53 PM »

I don't believe so. I'm fairly certain they only redid the first one for the Xbox One. However all of them are on game pass (except gears 5, but that is on Game pass ultimate) if you have access to that.

Naw, not buying that junk either.

SMS set complete!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length