RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:28:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August 2021 Shmup Club - Galaga 88-90-91 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: August 2021 Shmup Club - Galaga 88-90-91  (Read 11938 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: July 14, 2021, 08:37:11 AM »

When you make a successful game, and it's beloved by millions, what do you do next? Make a sequel, of course! That seems to be the formula, and while sequels don't always replicate the commercial success of their predecessor, sometimes they do enough to improve upon the original that they stand alone. Namco had success with Galaxian in 1979, and quickly followed that up with the massive hit Galaga in 1981. Gaplus followed in 1984, and while it wasn't as successful as the previous games, it did do relatively well. In 1987, Namco brought us the 4th entry in the series, the oddly titled Galaga 88.

Galaga 88 continues to iterate on the fixed shooter formula by adding new elements, and also...by not staying fixed! This time around, there are some scrolling levels, and boss fights, as well as new upgrades, the ability to warp past levels, and more. The game received a PC Engine port in 1988, and in 1990, was rebranded as Galaga '90 for the TurboGrafx-16 release. It has been included on several Namco compilations, such as Namco Museum 50th Anniversary (PS2, GameCube, Xbox, PC), Namco Museum Virtual Arcade (Xbox 360), and Namco Museum Switch. The TurboGrafx version is also included on the TurboGrafx Mini console. Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in August 2021, as we play Galaga 88!

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
Normatron
Reticulan
MiniConsoleMan
shaggy
FauxMacho
ReddMcKnight
Corkman
Normatron
Christapp76
Golem
Ed (Studio Mudprints/Bullet Heaven)
DJPsykoM1 (Twitch streamer)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 05:30:33 PM by MetalFRO » Logged

Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 03:15:09 PM »

I will try and make some time and participate.  This game also means alot to me growing up. Galaga is a game that my dad was a literal pro at. I will not be as good but I will do it for him.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 03:23:16 PM »

Happy to have you on board, Normatron!

Golem
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 10:11:28 PM »

I'm up for Galaga '88!

I gave this an hour last night. This is the perfect game to come after Project Starship X. Where PSX is sugar rush sensory overload, Galaga '88 is pared back and staid. It's pretty soothing!

I'll be playing along on the Turbografx Mini. Do you know how close it is to the arcade version?

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 03:08:11 PM »

I'm up for Galaga '88!

I gave this an hour last night. This is the perfect game to come after Project Starship X. Where PSX is sugar rush sensory overload, Galaga '88 is pared back and staid. It's pretty soothing!

I'll be playing along on the Turbografx Mini. Do you know how close it is to the arcade version?

Glad to have you aboard another month, Golem! As to the TG16/PCE version and the arcade, I don't know exactly how similar they are. The PC Engine had a lot of pretty good arcade ports from the mid-late 80's, so there's a good chance it's pretty faithful, though obviously on a console that would have been for yoko orientation only (tate didn't come into play until the PS1/Saturn generation, I believe), whereas the arcade original would have been on a vertical monitor in the cabinet. So some compromises would have been made. This will ring true with the Game Gear version even more, naturally. It will be interesting to compare them, though, and see how they differ.

4_T_en
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 06:04:21 AM »

I'm in as a first-timer to the forum. I've been listening to the podcast for a few months and decided to join the group. I'm playing the PCE version on the Mini, as well as the arcade port that's part of the Namco Museum collection on Switch.
MiniConsoleMan
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 09:54:28 AM »

I'm in. First shmup club game for me on my PCE Mini as well.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 11:09:10 AM »

I'm in as a first-timer to the forum. I've been listening to the podcast for a few months and decided to join the group. I'm playing the PCE version on the Mini, as well as the arcade port that's part of the Namco Museum collection on Switch.

Welcome to RF Generation, and thank you for listening to the podcast! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the game, and if you notice any major differences between the 2 versions Smiley

I'm in. First shmup club game for me on my PCE Mini as well.

Welcome aboard MiniConsoleMan! Good to see some PCE Mini participation with this game. It really is pretty accessible that way, which is awesome for a game that maybe went under people's radar when it initially came out, despite the well known Galaga name.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 11:22:48 PM »

I may partake in this one as Galaga '90 on the Turbo Grax-16.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 09:28:13 AM »

I may partake in this one as Galaga '90 on the Turbo Grax-16.

Very cool!

FauxMacho
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 09:39:58 PM »

When you already have the game, you have to join.
I love Galaga, and I love Galaga 88 too. I have the Namco Museum Arcade Pac on Switch and played 88 a bit two summers ago. Coming in my highscore is 159,000. I hope to really get into a groove and post something big. : )

And welcome Reticulan!
ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 04:21:56 AM »

Unh-unh. Not good enough. I require more practice.

Corkman
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 06:12:50 PM »

Nice start Redd!

I'll be playing this month as well either on TG 16 mini or the Namco Pac on Switch.

I like single screen shmups (maybe because I'm old) but I've never really played this one much other than just trying it out once. I'm more familiar with the OG Galaga, Galaxian, Gaplus, all those versions of Space Invaders, and Cosmo Gang: The Video among others. So it's way past due that I really play this one.

Do not pursue Lu Bu!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2021, 06:36:20 PM »

Awesome to see so much participation! I will definitely be curious to hear thoughts from those playing multiple versions, as to which you prefer, or which one you like the most.

Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2021, 08:14:47 PM »

Never said which version I'm playing. Turbografx 16 Galaga 90. My first run of the month and not so good.

* 20210803_200354~2.jpg (1552.76 KB, 3000x2830 - viewed 284 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length