RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:10:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | CD-i Movies Digital Video on CD-i or Video CD: Green vs White book 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CD-i Movies Digital Video on CD-i or Video CD: Green vs White book  (Read 5283 times)
sharp
DB Contributor
Netherlands

Stats
« on: December 05, 2021, 07:38:03 AM »

I just got into CD-i and I noticed that in the US movie seems to have been sold all sold as CD-i Movies. Though there are two different standards, there are discs which are according to the Green Book standard (Digital Video on CD-i) and those on the White Book which are Video CD and compatible with dvd-players or 3DO/CD32/Saturn with MPEG-module or a PlayStation 1 SCPH-5903.

Can we consider alle Video CD's as part of Cdi or should just be the discs according to the Green Book be in database.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Books
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 02:40:18 PM »

My personal opinion on this would be that if this was opened to having these available for the CD-i only with the Green Book movies, that would be all I would like to allow since Green Book specifies CD-i only. Otherwise, we will quickly open the huge can of worms that would allow all CDs, VCDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, and LaserDiscs in the DB as well just because they are capable of being played on a console. I'll happily defer to some of the DB guys for input also, but at a certain point, this could start to change the DB from a video game only one to a general purpose media one.

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 03:04:13 PM »

My personal opinion on this would be that if this was opened to having these available for the CD-i only with the Green Book movies, that would be all I would like to allow since Green Book specifies CD-i only. Otherwise, we will quickly open the huge can of worms that would allow all CDs, VCDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, and LaserDiscs in the DB as well just because they are capable of being played on a console. I'll happily defer to some of the DB guys for input also, but at a certain point, this could start to change the DB from a video game only one to a general purpose media one.

I would tend to agree with this. I know there are a handful of UMD video discs in the database and realistically, unless they include game play, they probably shouldn't be listed.

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 03:11:24 PM »

I get why they are though. They cannot be played by anything but the PSP. Same kind of thing as the GBA video to a certain extent.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length