RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:28:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Introduce yourself please 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 100 Print
Author Topic: Introduce yourself please  (Read 407447 times)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #690 on: August 05, 2012, 08:12:09 AM »

Hi everyone, I finally found a great forum for the weird species I find myself part of: the video game collectors Smiley
I've grown up with the NES and SNES and after a few years of only pc gaming I returned to my roots of console gaming. I got into collecting by listening to the retronauts podcast a few years ago and I've been collecting ever since.
I live in the Netherlands and RPG's are my favourite genre, a combination which can suck because of region locking and a lack of RPG releases for PAL regions, compared to Japan and North America. Things have gotten better with the region locking and RPG releases now.
Collecting wise I've been all over the place and I have a lot of different systems now, I think adding my collection to the collection tool on the website will take me a day, but it's a great tool and worth the effort.
I don't come across a lot of retro games or systems in the wild and as such am forced to use ebay a lot. My best finds in the wild were a SNES with Mario Kart boxed for 10 euros at a second hand goods store and Link: The Faces of Evil for the Cdi for 1 euro.
Because I want to set a good goal for myself and get some structure in my collecting, I set the goal of collecting all US RPG's on the SNES, PS1 and a full PAL Sega Saturn set.
If anyone is looking for PAl exclusive games, let me know and I'll see if I can help. There are a few Dutch selling websites where these games regularly pop up.
I'm looking forward to get very jealous of all the great finds you guys are going to post on this forum Smiley

Welcome to the forum! I know that we have a couple people on the site that have hit your goals, although the full PAL Saturn set will take you some time.

If you need any US-exclusive items for your set, let us know! Quite a few of us are willing to ship overseas, and would be interested in exchanging for PAL items (myself included).

vitellius
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #691 on: August 05, 2012, 10:14:02 AM »

Cool thanks. It would be great to do some trades. Just let me know which PAL exclusives you are looking for and I will keep an eye out for you.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #692 on: August 05, 2012, 10:23:16 AM »

Cool thanks. It would be great to do some trades. Just let me know which PAL exclusives you are looking for and I will keep an eye out for you.

Anything PAL, Complete in Box, that I can get my hands on really. I love imports Grin

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #693 on: August 05, 2012, 10:52:32 AM »

Welcome aboard, and I'm also one that is happy to work out some trades. I'm an NES collector, so unique NES games and accessories are right up my alley.

It sounds like you will have a lot of fun building your collection, and don't be a stranger on the forums.

burningtoys
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #694 on: August 10, 2012, 11:54:19 PM »

Hey guys I'm just stopping by to say Hi!

I grew up with Atari 2600 then C64 onto SNES etc.... I never really collected video games but I frequented thrift stores a lot in the lat 90s and early 00s looking for 80s toys but when ever I found something video game related I'd pick it up.  Within the last two months I've been getting back into the video game side of collecting and have been hitting thrift stores almost daily and yard sales every weekend. It was nice having that stuff from old thrift store days to kinda give me an "insta-collection" to begin with.

Currently, I'm in the process of cataloging my collection and building a game room to display/play the stuff I find.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #695 on: August 11, 2012, 01:35:29 AM »

Welcome aboard Burningtoys! It sounds like you found the right place.

It's really great when you have an organic collection like that that just takes shape. Make sure to frequent the forums and jump right in!

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #696 on: August 16, 2012, 06:47:39 PM »

Welcome to the board!  Sounds like you'll fit in nicely. 

jansolee66
Donor

Stats
« Reply #697 on: August 24, 2012, 11:15:03 PM »

I'm different from most people in this hobby in that I'm not really coming at it from a nostalgic point of view. I certainly played some video games as a kid, but I doubt I ever would have garnered the label of "gamer". I even went several years without touching a game (2001-2008 or so). I started collecting on a whim. One day, I was looking up some random factoid on Wikipedia and somehow, I ended up reading about the video game crash of 1983. I was amazed by how little I knew about vintage gaming. I truly found it fascinating. . I started reading about games a lot and then started listening to vintage gaming podcasts and watching youtube videos. I eventually got to a point where I needed to see these things in person in order to satisfy my curiosity. That's when I began collecting.

I started off with really old systems, but then realized that I needed to go with slightly newer games if I wanted to convince friends to join me. I now have a pretty good base of 8 bit games and I'm working on adding to my 16-bit collection as much as I can.

My collection is far from large (or valuable) but it is eclectic. Shortly after starting to collect, my finances changed drastically, which limited how quickly I could grow my collection. I even had to sell my prized collectible (a Vectrex complete in box with the original packing foam). I still made a tidy profit on it, and it helped me pay rent (I bought it for $110 and sold it for $160 cash + store credit), but there isn't a day I don't regret selling it.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #698 on: August 25, 2012, 01:43:03 AM »

Glad to have you jasonlee66!

Sorry to hear you had to sell such a cool item Sad I'm still searching for a Vectrex myself. Eclectic is a very good thing around these parts. I think its a great way to start out too since you never know what kind of niche you might fall into so its a good thing to explore a lot of different avenues in your collecting. Hope to see more of you on the forums!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Dechico2004
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #699 on: August 25, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »

Hi my name is Chico and I'm new to the forum.  I am currently a school teacher  who spends all his free time and money attempting to build a decent collection.  If I had to choose my favorite systems I would say the Ps1, gameboy advanced sp, and snes.  I am a fan of all types of games but currently I'm enjoying every Rpg the ps1 has to offer.  I look forward to meeting great people and learning a lot from this forum.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #700 on: August 25, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »

Hi my name is Chico and I'm new to the forum.  I am currently a school teacher  who spends all his free time and money attempting to build a decent collection.  If I had to choose my favorite systems I would say the Ps1, gameboy advanced sp, and snes.  I am a fan of all types of games but currently I'm enjoying every Rpg the ps1 has to offer.  I look forward to meeting great people and learning a lot from this forum.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Welcome aboard Dechico2004. You'll find RF Generation to be a very great place to talk with game collecting folks, well that's why were here. If your gonna get into playing RPG's on the PS1 your journey will never end. That system is full of great RPG's and it may take a lifetime to complete them all. Great bang for the buck nowadays. I need to grab me some more PS! games. The system has too many great games that I grew up with. Have fun here Chico.

Sent from a MacBook Wheel
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #701 on: August 25, 2012, 09:26:05 PM »

Welcome Dechico2004! I couldn't put it much better than Razor Knuckles did.

Sent from my TI-99/4A

Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #702 on: August 27, 2012, 10:16:22 AM »

Hi, popping in here because why not? Seems like a nice place.

I work nights at a very easy and very boring job. It pays the bills and leaves me with enough disposable income to blow on crap I don't need like video games, comics, cds, movies, and other goodies.

I'm AppleQueso on Racketboy btw.

DaveMMR
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #703 on: August 28, 2012, 09:48:35 PM »

Evening - my name is Dave and I currently reside in Long Island, NY. I've recently gotten back into collecting games a couple of years ago after I sold a lot of my original games. I started with a Colecovision when I was six and soon graduated to a C64, NES, Genesis, SNES, and so forth all the way up to my Wii and PS3.

I've gotten back most of my old consoles and have a modest but rapidly growing collection. Though it's hard for me to narrow it down, I'm quite partial to the NES and SNES library of games.

Besides games, I also collect vinyl records - though that's been taking a backseat as of late.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #704 on: August 28, 2012, 11:03:47 PM »

Hi Quackula, I've seen you over on Racketboy. Glad to see you make an appearance over here!

DaveMMR, it sounds like you are going to fit in well here. I'm guessing you must be around my age as I had a lot of similar gaming experience in my youth. I'm a big NES nut, and SNES has some great titles, too.

There are a few other vinyl collectors here if you poke around.

You'll both find a great community here, and make yourselves comfortable and post often Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 100 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length