RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:38:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | External Auction Site Discussion Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: External Auction Site Discussion Thread  (Read 76428 times)
nat
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« on: February 25, 2008, 02:29:12 PM »

I apologize to the mods if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it if so.

There is a new video game-exclusive auction site that went online recently:

www.gamegavel.com

I want say I am in no way affiliated with the site, but since I learned about it I'm trying to promote it as much as possible. I've become fed up with eBay over the past few years, and I really like the idea behind this new site. They seem to have a better listing fee schedule than eBay. I'd really like to see these guys succeed.

I've already bid on a couple items and I plan to list some Master System stuff there shortly.

I suggest everyone who's had it with eBay go check 'em out and show your support.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 07:06:54 PM »

I checked it out and there is potential.  I added it as a favorite.  Thanks for the link.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Barracuda
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:56:36 AM »

Could be promising.

nat
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 12:40:19 AM »

I checked it out and there is potential.  I added it as a favorite.  Thanks for the link.

No prob. It's under a week old as of now so I'm surprised at the number of auctions already up.

I plan to list a couple SMS games tomorrow.
Dragon Warrior Jasen
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 01:23:42 PM »

Hey folks, normally, I don't like to be "that guy"... we all know them, the ones who sign up to Advertise on a forum/website, but NAT over at PCEngineFX told me that you were a great Video Gaming Community and would like to hear about this.

My name is Jasen Hicks, and I am a video game collector. I post mostly over at Digital Press, and occasionally at PCEngineFX (since the purchase of my TG setup). A little more about me, I am a 26 year old Naval Officer by day and now a small business owner! Yikes!

About a month ago, I noticed eBay was starting to get on peoples nerves, mostly those in the circles that I chat with... the gamers. I thought to myself, "Hey! I am a decent webmaster, and have some knowledge on Video Games and such... maybe I can start an alternative to eBay!" So I posted up the idea over at DigitalPress and at PCEngineFX. Some people liked the idea, and some people said "Dont do it! It's going to fail! They always do!" But after many hours of cranking away at a business plan, investing in software, learning about setting up a business in Florida, and such I decided the risk was worth it and opened GAMEGAVEL.COM. I figure that if I can help people avoid eBay and cater to the community I love to be a part of, then ill be happy (as long as I can break even at a minimum!)

The original opening date was scheduled to be March 1, 2008. However, I got it to the point where I was comfortable that any bugs that arose I could fix them rather quickly and so GameGavel.com was opened on February 23, 2008 at NOON EST. Within 36 hours, I was completely awe-struck, and humbled at the same time. There were already 70+ users signed up and over 140 auctions!

Why is GameGavel different than eBay, and why should you use it? GameGavel.com has the DigitalPress seal of approval, Joe loves the idea and is backing  it 100% both with his word and the ability to use the Rarity Guide (integration into the GameGavel site is coming soon!) Further, all auctions feature free basic insertions! I don't believe you should be charged to list an item, then be charged at the end when you sell it! If you upgrade beyond the basic listing, the fees are modest, and the Final Value Fees are lower than ebay every time! Additionally, everyone at GameGavel is just as passionate about Video Games as you are! I am trying to cultivate a Community Feel, by incorporating your feedback at all the sites you enjoy! When a person clicks your profile to look at your reputaiton, they have instant access to your DP Feedback, Cheap Ass Gamer Feedback, and more! People instantly know that you are a good seller/buyer/trader! 

If you get a chance, please check it out! the URL is simple... http://www.GAMEGAVEL.com

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 02:27:40 PM »

Welcome to RF Generation! I appreciate what you're trying to do (we passively advertise), but we have some rules that all members agree to when they join our site. From this agreement, we have the following:

Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also inappropriate to this SMF forum and website.

Good luck with your endeavors, but please rather than coming straight onto our site to advertise I ask that you check out our amazing databases, forums, and collection tools.

Best of luck in your operations, but please, do not break our agreement in the process.

Hello World.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 04:09:57 AM »

Like shaggy and Barracuda said, it looks promising and has a lot of potential.
It's a real bummer though that the description entry they have gone with isn't compatible with Safari and obviously I don't plan on changing browser just for the one site. So hopefully they fix that up.
The thing I like is how they are throwing contests out here there and everywhere to try and build up some momentum.

Game Gavel is committed to excellence and ensuring that it is the #1 choice for all video game auctions. To help prove this to our users, we are going to give away $500 to one lucky verified seller as soon as we get to 1000 verified users! Tell your freinds, family, and people on the street to join GameGavel.com! The sooner we get to 1000 verified users, the sooner you could WIN!

That is the latest one, and not to mention the competition I'm really looking forward to.

Dragon Warrior Jasen
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 12:35:47 PM »

Thanks Nat for the mention!

I am the owner of GameGavel.com, and I want to let everyone know about it! I know I have a tough up hill battle against the machine that is eBay, but I think that their policy changes and such have left a sour taste in many gamers mouths! RFGeneration even put a plug on the front page for a while!

Let me take a minute to explain a few things about GameGavel.com!

1. All of your listings are FREE. No insertion fees, no final value fees! The only thing we charge for, which is very modest, is the featured items on the front page, highlighting, bolding, and category featured items. Other than that, its FREE!

2. We allow you to link your auctions to the DP Rarity Guide, to help inform your potential buyers about everything and anything they may need to know!

3. We have multiple feedback references for you to list, including DP, eBay, Shumps, Goozex, Cheap Ass Gamer, 2D Gaming, PCEngineFX, and any others that are brought to my attention!

4. Of the smaller auciton sites, we are the only to offer a Bulk Lister for those sellers with a lot to sell! Its free and easy to use, and you can import your stuff from the eBay Turbo lister too!

5. I am a collector, and a video gamer as well. I didn't start GameGavel to get rich. I started it simply to help out those Gamers that were tired of eBay. My goal is to break even to keep the site running smooth for everyone!

6. We have amazing contests! Remember #5? I am commited to making GameGavel a FUN and EXCITING place. That being said, I run contests like no other site! The first month online we gave away a FREE BOXED NES to one person! All they needed to do to qualify was to sell 5 items on GameGavel! This month we are giving away a FREE NEW GAME ($60 value) to one lucky seller verified person! And we have a running $500 contest going to one lucky verified seller when the site reaches 1000 verified sellers! Awesome!

7. NO CREDIT CARD REQUIRED!

There are many reasons to join GameGavel.com, but the best reason is to take back the community and keep it among fellow gamers! GameGavel and others wont survive unless the community takes a chance and supports us. GameGavel will ALWAYS be the #1 for features amongst the smaller sites though, guaranteed!

If you find anything a feature missing at GameGavel, let me know and I will work to find the answer and solution to make it a reality! I am 100% committed to making GameGavel.com YOUR choice for video game auctions!

** For the Safari Users (My fellow Mac fanatics Smiley ) I am editing the software to fix this bug with Safari!

** For those who like contests, there is 2 days left for the current contest where you can win a free Game just for being a verified seller! Also, May 1 I will announce the next contest too!
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 01:28:52 PM »

Nice site

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 03:51:52 AM »

RFGeneration even put a plug on the front page for a while!
And it's back up there again today, this time promoting that latest competition.

At the moment I'm just testing the waters and just throwing a random auction up now and then, it'll be great once the user base increases and I can't wait for the Safari bug to be ironed out, as I have a lot I plan to put up there after that Wink

I also want to point out how great it is to have the sites owner actually check out gaming forums like this to spread the word, this shows the commitment right there. I want to wish you the best of luck with your site Jasen, keep up the good work Smiley

Dragon Warrior Jasen
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 09:34:40 AM »

Awesome! Thanks for the plug TraderJake! I appreciate it! If you google "gameGavel" RFGeneration is first!

Cobra, I will send you a message offline about the description area fix for safari, but its coming today (time permitting, and family permitting!)

Just a heads up. The second contest at GameGavel.com is closing for eligibility tomorrow! By verifying your sellers account, you are entered for a chance to win a game of your choice for a current generation console of your choice. A $60 Value Free! You will also be automatically entered in the $500 contest as well. When we get to 1000 verified sellers at GameGavel.com I will be giving $500 to one of them!

Let the Gavel Fall!

Jasen
Dragon Warrior Jasen
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 09:37:05 AM »

As for checking the boards... it is silly to not promote the site where people live and breathe. Sites like here, and many others  have allowed me to get the word out. For that I am truly appreciative. They will not be forgotten, and will have a link put up on the affiliates page at GameGavel.com. Without these types of sites, we would all be segregated from each other! The internet and forums have really created a GLOBAL community!
Dragon Warrior Jasen
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 02:37:08 PM »

Cobra, as promised the Safari bug has been fixed! Just tested it out, and it works fine now!
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 11:50:33 PM »

Wow, finally getting to fully utilise the editor, I have to say it's pretty robust. I'll keep playing around with a few smaller auctions at 1st and get to grips with what I am happiest with. Thanks a million, one Karma point for you Wink

In all seriousness I can definitely see myself setting up a store on Game Gavel if user interests continues to grow, I especially like the inclusion to use Google Checkout... just a pity Google hasn't made this available to Australia as yet. Once it does though I'll be sure to use it, and that is where a big advantage lies with Game Gavel as eBay moves further and further in a plan to make PayPal the only payment option available to sellers.

Dragon Warrior Jasen
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 10:19:14 AM »

This month's contest, where you could win a new game of your choice, for any next generation console ($60 value) went very well! There was a last push of new users duing the last few days to get the number of verified sellers up, and there were 47 eligible users when I drew the name.

Without further ado, I am happy to announce "bangtango" as the winner of this month's contest! He won any game of his choice for any next-generation console of his choice! Everyone give him a big round of applause!

With the end of this contest, I have to announce the next contest! This one will be called the 5-5-5 contest where you can be entered up to three times to win! All you have to do is complete, any or all of the following to be eligible:

1. Refer 5 new users

2. Sell 5 items

3. Buy 5 items

All within the May-June 2008 timeframe! If you do one, you are entered once! If you complete 2, you are entered twice! And if you complete all three.... you guessed it! You are entered Three times to win! The next lucky winner will receive a brand new Nintendo DS! Perfect for the beach, pool, or those long summer road trips!

Finally, don't forget about the $500 contest. When we have 1000 verified users at GameGavel.com I will give one of them $500! To get to that benchmark, I need all of your help though! Make sure you buy, sell, and visit often! The more traffic the better resource GameGavel.com becomes!

Just a couple of new features for April:

1. Added Feedback Sections: Shumps, 2D Gaming, Goozex, and a unlabled "Other"

2. Bulk Listing Software for the folks with a lot to sell!

3. No more Final Value Fees!

4. Weekly Newsletters for Featured Auctions and those ending soon!

5. Better Safari Compatibility!

Thank you for your continued support of GameGavel.com! Let the Gavel Fall!

www.gamegavel.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length