RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:00:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Pictures of your hometown 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Pictures of your hometown  (Read 6610 times)
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« on: November 09, 2004, 07:35:48 AM »

We haven't had any picture topics for a while, so I figured it's time for a new one. Take pictures (yourself!!) of your hometown. In my case, beautiful Elburg.

streets and alleys

Main street

Buildings

The st. Nicolaas church. Built in the late 1300's. It used to have a sharp tower, but that burned off in the 1600's.

The Vischpoort. There used to be four gates like this, but 3 were taken down in the 1800's, together with most of the wall, to provide stones to build the harbour.

Funky house, built right next to the canal.

Nothing beats an almost castle in the middle of town.

This house was built by some kick ass admiral a long, long time ago. (don't know exactly how long)

Some small houses.

The old monastry. I really like this one. It has a museum now.

Protection

The afore mentioned wall, now mainly used to play soccer against.

LOOK OUT! THAT SHEEP WILL ATTACK US!! (taken through a canon hole in the wall)

A cannon to protect us from that sheep.

Water and Bridges

On the bridge towards the vischpoort.

The bridge towards the vischpoort.

On the bridge you see in the distance on the above picture. Those 2 statues are lions holding our city's valor (weapon? I don't know). Oh, and those little doors allow you to go inside some sort of bunkers.

the Harbour
Elburg used to be a fishing town.

A look at the town from the harbour.

To compensate for all the old pretty stuff, here are some more recent areas

Well, this is just field, but I suppose the grass itself is pretty recent.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 08:28:15 AM »

Some older ones.

Huis Old Putten. There used to be a castle here, but in during the war with spain (around 1600) the people in there used to be pro-spanish, so the castle was destroyed and the stones were used to build the canals in the town. Now it's just a big funky house.

Near the harbour.

A field opposite to Old Putten.

A path next to Old Putten.

Another field nearby.

A bull that didn't like it when my and my girlfriend got a little too close to his bitches.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 12:18:57 PM »

If only I could see it.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 12:20:37 PM »

Why can't you see it? I hosted them all on the rfgeneration server. If you can't see these pictures, you shouldn't see anything at all Huh
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 03:07:16 PM »

Its a nice little place you got there.  What is the area population?

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 03:26:54 PM »

About 20 thousand, together with some nearby villages.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 05:12:13 PM »

Why can't you see it? I hosted them all on the rfgeneration server. If you can't see these pictures, you shouldn't see anything at all Huh

Its something screwy with my Mac.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 07:21:08 PM »

Hillsboro
These are from a small town about 50 minutes away from where I live.  Hillsboro is a decent size, but very small in comparisson to the several million who live in the Cincinnati area.  This is in Ohio, east of Cincy on US 50.

Highland County Court House, I think.

Civil War memorial outside the courthouse.  I don't remember much about it, but Hilsboro apparently had some significance for that war.

Fire station

View down Main Street
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 08:01:40 PM by admin » Logged

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 07:30:24 PM »

Covington
Covington is a small town in Kentucky which is right across the river from downtown Cincinnati.  It is also right next to Newport, KY.  My grandmother was born in Covington about a million years ago, back when it was still heavily segregated between Germans and Irish.

Clock tower in Mainstrassa Village

Some building near the center of Mainstrassa Village

The German church in town, which of course Irish people never attended back in the day.

This is the Irish church my grandmother attended from when she was born until after she was married.  It is the St. Mary's Basillica.

Painted glass from inside.  I know it's blurry.  I forgot my tripod, so cry about it.

This is the school my grandmother attended, across the street from the Basillica.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 07:45:39 PM »

Cincinnati
Originally named Losantaville when it was founded in 1788, Cincinnati was renamed because somebody thought "Losantaville" (meaning "opposite the Licking River") was sissy.  Some of these pictures were taken of downtown, others were from areas a little bit further out.  Keep in mind that some of these are crappy because I took them from inside my car at red lights.

The Union Terminal.  This was built as a (really cool) train station in 1931, and though trains still come through it now, this has been heavily downgraded.  Today, most of the space is used for three museums and an Omnimax (better than Imax) theater.

Interior.  That dumb old man in the bottom right messed up my picture.  I broke his kneecap shortly thereafter.

The first mayor of Cincinnati, still alive and kicking.

This is a picture of Cincinnati's glacier plane, shortly to the north of my house.  Don't tell my girlfriend that you saw this picture.

Crappy photo of Music Hall, from my car.

Crappy photo of Fountain Square, from my car at a red light.  This was a gift to the city from some rich guy.

P&G own your soul!

Taft museum playing hide & seek.  President Taft was the fattest President ever, and Cincinnati is to thank for him.  He once got stuck in a bathtub because he was so fat, and had to have a custom tub (that could fit six men in it) made because he was bigger than an elephant.  (Stories claim he ate three for breakfast each morning.)

Lytle Park

Abraham Lincoln statue at Lytle park.

The Time Warner van destroyed my photo.  Since it didn't have kneecaps, I busted the hubcaps shortly after taking this photo.

View down Fourth Street.

$500 million worth of stadium for a $2 team, as seen from my car at a red light.

Some cool building from my car.

Also taken from my car of downtown.

Suspension bridge where Brooklyn got the idea.

Driving back to Cincy from Covington.

Mt. Storm Park

Krohn Conservatory interior, which is in Eden Park.  This place r0x0rs.

And the panoramic photo taken between Northside and Clifton from Cincinnati State.
http://www.rfgeneration.c..._1831-100_1844___5000.jpg
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 07:57:56 PM by admin » Logged

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 07:52:47 PM »

White Oak
White Oak is the part of town I live in.  Since Cincy is pretty big, different parts of town have their own names.  I also live in Colerain Township, but all that is blah blah details.  Some of these photos were taken in what is truly White Oak, others in Peach Grove, etc.  The point is these are closer to where I live.  So, you people from Cincinnati - don't cry when some of these aren't technically in White Oak.  No one will know the difference.

St. Bernard, a Church near my house.

View of my street

My street from the other end looking in the opposite direction.

My car and house.

MY SHADOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I AM SPOOKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miami Whitewater Forest

What could this be?  SPOOKY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

And of course, the panoramic photo from my back yard:
http://www.rfgeneration.c..._1812-100_1821___4000.jpg
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 08:00:27 PM by admin » Logged

Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 09:08:48 PM »

Edmonton

Edmonton has a population of 937,845 (2002 census).

Edmonton is the second largest city of the province of Alberta (after Calgary) and the country's sixth largest.

Edmonton encompasses an area of 70,152 hectares (270 sq. mi.).

Edmonton is situated at an altitude of 668 metres (2,192 feet).

The city of Edmonton is the starting point for the world's longest crude oil pipeline that connects the city with Buffalo, NY at a distance of 2856 km (1775 mi.).

Metro Edmonton boasts over 70 golf courses including Victoria Golf Course, Canada's oldest municipal golf course (1907).

There are almost 2,000 restaurants serving over 30 different types of cuisine in Edmonton.

(since I don't really have any pictures of my own, this is kind of a collage from pics on the web)

Downtown as seen from the river valley:

Some office buildings not too far from my work:

Shaw Conference Centre (situated down an enbakment into the river valley):

The world's largest mall (Yeah, still kicks "Mall of America's" ass).  West Edmonton Mall - here you can see the Dolphin pool thingy:

Fort Edmonton park:

A scene from the annual "Folk Festival":

The LRT (Light Rail Train):

A parking lot - Football stadium to the right:

The Hotal MacDonald:

A water thing in front of City Hall:

Gateway into Chinatown.  A cop car to the right.  Above are the power lines for the elctric busses:

"Government House" - I'm actually getting married on the lawn in behind this thing next July.

A Roller Coaster in West Edmonton Mall:

A portion of the Water Park in West Edmonton Mall:

The Legislature Building 2 blocks south from my work:

Another pictures of downtown from the other side of the river vally.  The Legistlature building is visible in front of the office buildings:

An Edmonton Police badge:

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 01:23:37 AM »

Those are some pretty neat pictures nep and odo. Keep them coming!
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 05:49:53 AM »

MIke, those are awesome. You should consider posting some of them at www.urbanohio.com.  
Why the hell was there a time warner van there?

OD, that government house looks kick ass.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 05:55:20 AM by hydrobond » Logged

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 06:57:38 AM »

Those pictures of Elburg are great.  It looks like a really nice place to live - or a very beautiful place to say the least.  Cincinnati is a fairly nice place, but there's something about having churches and houses that were built 600 or 700 years ago.  Someday, I really should visit Europe.

I too liked that governement house photo in Edmonton.  The Legislature building was pretty darn cool too.  That reminds me....  I have some photos of the Sammarco house I could post....

P.S.  Who liked the glacier plane photo?  Am I the only one that got a kick out of that?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length