RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:07:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | The Current Temperature Now! Thread! Post in F or C! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: The Current Temperature Now! Thread! Post in F or C!  (Read 44382 times)
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2009, 08:27:01 AM »

The snow melted and the sun is shining. Smiley

It's 4 °C / 34°F.

Question: what's the logic behind the Fahrenheit scale because I'm not seeing it. If the converter site I'm using is correct then water freezes at 32°F. Is there a reason for that?

The freezing point of water is 0°C in Celcius. It makes sense because it's easy to see when it'll snow/freeze and when not.

There isn't, really...

The F and C scales actually converge at about -34C and -34F, so it gets even more confusing at lower temperatures. Celsius just makes more sense, but America is one of the few countries still on imperial...

Oh, and now:

Berwyn, IL: -9F, -23F wind chill (-23C and -31C).

Thar be cald.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:28:39 AM by Rob » Logged

Tell me about your variants...
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2009, 12:33:07 PM »

It's kewld for daytime Cinci. Says 12 but I imagine Wind Chill is in the negatives.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Barracuda
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »

It was -21 without the windchill when I left for work at 4 AM. Right now it's -11 with windchill it's -38. I work outside alot it was a fun day.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2009, 02:59:36 PM »

Question: what's the logic behind the Fahrenheit scale because I'm not seeing it. If the converter site I'm using is correct then water freezes at 32°F. Is there a reason for that?

The freezing point of water is 0°C in Celcius. It makes sense because it's easy to see when it'll snow/freeze and when not.
The only part of the Fahrenheit scale that makes sense is that once it gets over 100°F it's generally considered very hot, like hot enough that you don't want to e outside any more than you do when it's -10.
But you're right, the Celsius scale would make more sense to use. It's used heavily in the scientific world, we're just not using it enough to get a "feel" for it like we have with Fahrenheit.

High today was 10°F and the low was -5°F. Supposed to be colder tomorrow and then warm up to the 20's on Saturday.

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2009, 03:10:57 PM »

1°F

BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2009, 06:18:39 PM »

It was -21 without the windchill when I left for work at 4 AM. Right now it's -11 with windchill it's -38. I work outside alot it was a fun day.

It got down to -27 last night here. Supposed to be -22 again tonight. It hasn't been above 0 in something like 68 straight hours.

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2009, 07:14:05 PM »

Here's an explanation from everyone's favorite bastion of "knowledge", Wikipedia.

According to Fahrenheit himself in an article he wrote in 1724,[2] his scale is based on three reference points of temperature. The zero point is determined by placing the thermometer in a mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride, a salt. This is a type of frigorific mixture. The mixture automatically stabilizes its temperature at 0 °F. He then put an alcohol or mercury thermometer into the mixture and let the liquid in the thermometer descend to its lowest point. The second point is the 32 degree found by putting the thermometer in still water as ice is just forming on the surface. The third point, the 96 degree, was the level of the liquid in the thermometer when held in the mouth or under the armpit. Fahrenheit noted that, using this scale, mercury boils at around 600 degrees.

Kinda makes sense when you think of it that way. Fahrenheit didn't base his scale on the freezing of water, but instead something else.

I certainly agree with what you said about the freezing point of water in Celsius. It makes far more sense, but when you've lived in the States long enough, you get used to Fahrenheit and know that the freezing point is 32.

Oh yeah, -13°F (-25°C)

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2009, 10:52:02 PM »

Man, it just keeps going down...

-11F, -31F wind chill (-24C, -34C)

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2009, 06:32:26 AM »

Kinda makes sense when you think of it that way. Fahrenheit didn't base his scale on the freezing of water, but instead something else.

I certainly agree with what you said about the freezing point of water in Celsius. It makes far more sense, but when you've lived in the States long enough, you get used to Fahrenheit and know that the freezing point is 32.
Yeah, it makes some sense indeed, but the things he based his scale on are kind of random for everyday life. The freezing point of water is far more important than that obscure mixture he made or the temperature of your armpit. Tongue (From a nature/environment point of view, that is the temperature that marks the biggest "changes" in the weather, thus it makes sense to make that 0° and not a random number like 32°)

It strikes me that the most important nation in the world is using all these outdated/complicated unit models. (temperature, length, volume, ... everything it seems Tongue)
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2009, 09:20:39 AM »

-10°F

Paully3433
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2009, 10:44:48 AM »

-26F  feels like -48F Shocked

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2009, 11:04:49 AM »

Yeah, it makes some sense indeed, but the things he based his scale on are kind of random for everyday life. The freezing point of water is far more important than that obscure mixture he made or the temperature of your armpit. Tongue (From a nature/environment point of view, that is the temperature that marks the biggest "changes" in the weather, thus it makes sense to make that 0° and not a random number like 32°)

It strikes me that the most important nation in the world is using all these outdated/complicated unit models. (temperature, length, volume, ... everything it seems Tongue)

I actually think F is better than C as well. Applying it to medicine, for example, if you took someone's temperature and it was 98.6 degrees, you'd know that it's "normal". And yes, we're really used to our weather readings being interpreted this way as well, so it would take quite a paradigm shift to get around changing from F to C in this country.

However, for any other things like yards, miles, and pounds...accepting meters, kilometers and kilograms to replace them wouldn't be as difficult. We do have km & kg measurements on many of our vehicles and product labels, respectively. I think American football would be the only obstacle to changing from yards to meters, though. Cool

Current temp this morning was -8 degrees, wind chill -20 (or lower).

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2009, 11:21:17 AM »

I actually think F is better than C as well. Applying it to medicine, for example, if you took someone's temperature and it was 98.6 degrees, you'd know that it's "normal". And yes, we're really used to our weather readings being interpreted this way as well, so it would take quite a paradigm shift to get around changing from F to C in this country.

That's no more normal than 37*C, though.
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2009, 11:47:03 AM »

-24 with a -35 windchill. Starting to get pretty used to this garbage.

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2009, 01:52:39 PM »

0F with -15 Wind Chill. It 'warmed' up quite a bit!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length