RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:14:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Killzone 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Killzone 2  (Read 10783 times)
Kimoosabi
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 02:28:19 PM »

Only problem is you're speaking from a multiplayer perspective Tan, and from that perspective, you're absolutely correct. However, what separates Resistance 1 and 2 and Killzone 2 is the fact that they all have campaigns, whereas obviously a sports series like Madden does not. The single player campaigns are what make me want to buy/play all 3. If the campaigns didn't exist, and they were strictly multiplayer affairs, then I'd agree with you.

For anyone who only cares about multiplayer the same holds true, so it really depends on what the individual gamer cares about.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:14:23 PM by Kimoosabi » Logged
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 02:46:14 PM »

Gotta side with Tondog on this one.. when I do get a PS3, I plan on playing both Resistance titles AND Killzone 2, I don't really see how one makes the other obsolete. If that were true, then why buy any game in any genre at all, every new release would make the older titles in a genre obsolete following that logic.

At this point, not much is known about the features in KZ2 that differentiate it from other FPSs. But this is where the debate begins.

Looking at some of the FPSs from the past year or so (using multiplatform titles for purposes of this example), how many of them actually have retained their popularity and have done enough to differentiate themselves from other FPS titles to stand the test of time...thus far?

CoD 4: Modern Warfare? -- Yes
CoD: World at War?  -- Yes
Battlefield: Bad Company? -- No
Rainbow Six Vegas 2? -- No
Far Cry 2? -- No

Granted, "obsolete" is a bit harsh of a term to use because obviously a game like Resistance 1 or 2 (or the titles mentioned above) won't ever be considered shovelware. And the point of this discussion isn't whether KZ2 is a good game. Early reviews have supported that it is. The question is will it hold up when compared to other FPSs or will it eventually end up on one's gaming backlog as just another shooter when something new comes out to replace it (i.e.Resistance 3, CoD: MW2)? Also, what happens to Resistance 2's longevity after KZ2 comes out?  

All of the games listed above were reviewed well on their own merits, but the CoD series is still on top in terms of longevity (multiplatform). This indicates that it has the blend of features and gameplay that players continually want to participate in, and that the game itself created enough of a breakthrough in the genre to sustain its popularity.

So for purposes of this argument, a few things remain to be seen:
1. What differentiates KZ2 from other shooters in the genre and what will give it longevity?
2. Will Resistance 2 be a "backlog" title in PS3 libraries when KZ2 comes out?
3. Is KZ2 good enough to compete with the CoD series for PS3 gamers over the course of time?

Obviously, time will tell.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »

then buying 2 of them when one has already been eclipsed for online activity and technical prowess seems pointless.
What makes you think Resistance 2 isn't worth anymore to be playing online? Maybe I'm wrong but I have a hunch you just don't like the Resistance franchise. That's perfectly fine, but you shouldn't try to make it look as if it isn't even worth looking at anymore. I pulled these stats from wikipedia:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Resistance 2 has been well-received by critics, with a current Metacritic aggregate score of 87 out of 100, based on 74 reviews,  and a Game Rankings aggregate of 87%, based on 55 reviews.

Also, your comparison to the Madden games isn't really a fair one. Those are the same thing every year except a little bit better (or in some cases: a little bit worse) while these are two distinctly different franchises with different stories, etc...

You make it seem like only gaming "masterminds" will be able to differentiate both titles, but I'm convinced even the more casual player will be able to tell the difference. Wink
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2009, 04:25:11 PM »

Only problem is you're speaking from a multiplayer perspective Tan, and from that perspective, you're absolutely correct. However, what separates Resistance 1 and 2 and Killzone 2 is the fact that they all have campaigns, whereas obviously a sports series like Madden does not. The single player campaigns are what make me want to buy/play all 3. If the campaigns didn't exist, and they were strictly multiplayer affairs, then I'd agree with you.

For anyone who only cares about multiplayer the same holds true, so it really depends on what the individual gamer cares about.

I agree. I love single-player FPS campaigning. It makes me sick when games like CoD only have 3-6 hour campaigns; as good as they may be. For online stuff there's Valve, I want an awesome, epic campaign.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tan
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2009, 07:27:50 PM »

I obviously haven't been communicating very well. Something I should work on perhaps. Maybe then I wouldn't have to waste my time here typing ridiculously long posts and rebuttals all the time for no good reason.

- I wasn't comparing Madden's gameplay to any other game.
 - I have no ill will towards the Resistance series
 - My perspective was from a balanced point of view (online/campaign)

I tried to explain but folks are reading way too much into this. Is KZ2 the biggest badass sci-fi shooter on PS3 or is there something better? That's it.

Is CoD 5 the best WWII game because I don't want to waste money on any of a half dozen inferior clones? See, same question.

If I hadn't wasted my time in this thread I could've just tried the fucking demos in that same time frame. Live and learn I guess.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 07:39:06 PM by Tan » Logged
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »

I tried to explain but folks are reading way too much into this. Is KZ2 the biggest badass sci-fi shooter on PS3 or is there something better? That's it.

Is CoD 5 the best WWII game because I don't want to waste money on any of a half dozen inferior clones? See, same question.

It's just kind of a silly argument.

If I like Sci-fi shooters, I don't want just the best one. I want them all, because I like them. I will buy the new one because it is new, and as a good little consumer, I like new things. Especially if they're shiny. If you wait around all the time and never buy anything for fear that something better is coming, then you might as well kill yourself. (Not you specifically, Tan)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 07:42:09 PM by The Maligned Leon » Logged

Tan
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 11:30:36 PM »

There's no argument. I asked as a casual shooter fan who may want to be impulsive and buy a mindless action game they know will be traded in later when something new comes out, which $60 sci-fi FPS game is the best on average on the PS3. Maybe casual means something different to everyone else but to me it means I'd dabble in a good game of that genre every once in a while. I certainly didn't say I was gung-ho for the genre. Hence the "all go bang, throw grenades and pretend there's a story" statement. I just wanted to know if the game was the nicest looking and best sounding on the PS3 at this time. Read my replies again folks, it was a simple question.

Maybe I should start a Killzone 2 thread and ask someone if this is the hottest FPS on the PS3 right now. Roll Eyes
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2009, 02:37:28 AM »

Well it isn't out yet. Tongue

I think it's silly because we're all inventing these classes of people who don't exist.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2009, 10:24:44 AM »

I obviously haven't been communicating very well. Something I should work on perhaps.
Maybe you should, because everyone here had trouble with what you were saying.

Is KZ2 the biggest badass sci-fi shooter on PS3 or is there something better? That's it.
Yes it is:
Killzone 2 has been met with positive reviews. Based on 39 reviews, Killzone 2 currently holds a Metacritic score of 93/100 and 93% on Game Rankings based on 24 reviews.

If I hadn't wasted my time in this thread I could've just tried the fucking demos in that same time frame. Live and learn I guess.
That would've been the logical option indeed. A picture is worth a thousand words, right? Well the same goes for games.
Tan
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2009, 02:28:01 PM »

I obviously haven't been communicating very well. Something I should work on perhaps.
Maybe you should, because everyone here had trouble with what you were saying.

Is KZ2 the biggest badass sci-fi shooter on PS3 or is there something better? That's it.
Yes it is:
Killzone 2 has been met with positive reviews. Based on 39 reviews, Killzone 2 currently holds a Metacritic score of 93/100 and 93% on Game Rankings based on 24 reviews.

That would've been the logical option indeed. A picture is worth a thousand words, right? Well the same goes for games.

I wasn't looking for return input on my communication skills. It was an introvertive thought nothing more. But thanks anyway, I can always rely on you to be completely tactless when the need arises.

I find Metacritic an unreliable source for scores. The scores cover everything from professional journalism, to blatant fanboys and biased paid for reviews. They hold no value in determining a game's quality. If I want opinions, I'll get them from people I know and trust, not nameless, possibly fabricated reviewers and those in the publishers pockets. Scores for that game range from (so far) 8 perfect scores of 100% all the way down to 80%. Some of the reviewers like G4TV, gave both Resistance games and Killzone 2 perfect 100's. That doesn't help at all. Resistance 2 goes from a perfect score all the way down to 60%.

Those ranges aren't consistent enough to rely on when it goes from "perfect game" down to "bargain bin shitter" for the same title.

I wanted to avoid downloading the demos on PSN, I find the process needlessly long and tedious as opposed to XBL. With all the time I wasted here, I still would have saved plenty compared to downloading 3 demos and installing each. Besides, FPS demos are hard to gauge, I was hoping for input from those who have beaten a few of them on the system.
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »

I DL'd the demo from the European PSN yesterday.  Its shaping up to be a pretty kick ass game.  The demo was pretty short (only two small missions), but I liked it so far.  The lighting, blood spatter, and the details all make the visuals pop.  The controls work great, and seem to flow.  I highly recommend getting this demo if you have a PS3
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2009, 06:44:06 PM »

Meh, I don't think the demo was  short, but rather it was perfect length. It gets you a good taste of the game and leaves you wanting more, as any good demo should do.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2009, 02:19:12 AM »

Game's out now and I just bought it. I hope all of you do the same because it is truly fantastic.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2009, 07:44:32 AM »

Game's out now and I just bought it. I hope all of you do the same because it is truly fantastic.
That's good to hear. I liked the first Killzone so I'll like this one as well. Smiley
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »

That's good to hear. I liked the first Killzone so I'll like this one as well. Smiley

Is the PS3 under $200 yet?...I'll continue to wait. And the time it drops, KZ2 may be a $29.99 title.  evilhappy

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length