RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:15:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | What are you watching right now? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 293 Print
Author Topic: What are you watching right now?  (Read 1017233 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #3960 on: February 26, 2017, 07:24:17 PM »

Paddington - (2014) - A-
--> Charming, sweet and innocent.

Quartet - (2012) - B
--> Quite a novel subject, and worthy to make elderly the centre of a movie. What annoyed me slightly is that the main actors were cast for, well, being good actors. I was annoyed we never saw them sing.

Leviathan - (2014) - A+
--> If you haven't seen a Russian movie before, start here.

Fantastic Mr. Fox - (2009) - A
--> Repeat watching. This is the kind of movie I could watch once a year. I love the style, the camera angles, the witty dialogue. Also refreshing is the short length. I love how it doesn't wait around to get to the good stuff.

On the Waterfront - (1954) - C+
--> This is supposedly some masterpiece, probably because it was innovative for the time. But to me, it has aged too much, the plot is quite cliché and predictable, and overall I feel like there are better movies from this era.

Nebraska - (2013) - B+
--> Great movie. An honest depiction of rural America, without the veneer.

Love in the Time of Cholera - (2007) - D
--> Snoozefest, chick flick. Way too long for a movie where nothing happens.

Bambi - (1942) - B
--> This movie is 75 years old, and yes, it shows. However there are some enjoyable scenes and the animation is great. Funny how hunters were upset at the time of release, haha.

The Dinner - (2013) - B+
--> Great drama movie about people having dinner.

Moneyball - (2011) - B+
--> This is what all sports films should be: barely an sports, but all of the drama.

The Deep Blue Sea - (2011) - D-
--> Despite being about 40 minutes shorter than Love in time... this is just as painful to watch. Minutes-long scenes in which absolutely nothing happens. I guess this is a good depiction of depression, but in reality it's just artsy pretentious bs, and so so boring to watch.

Foxcatcher - (2014) - B+
--> Gripping performance by Steve Carelll and solid performance by Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo.

Courage Under Fire - (1996) - B+
--> Starts out as a war movie but really is more of a courtroom drama type suspense film. Great fun.

The Amazing Spider-Man - (2012) - B+
--> Another superhero movie, yawn. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised. I think Andrew Garfield makes for a great Spider-Man.

Gloria - (2013) - A-
--> Starts a little slow, but really good movie. At the end you feel happy about what you saw.

Pacific Rim - (2013) - C
--> The movie starts out well enough, although the reasoning for having 2 pilots in a mech (ok, "Jaeger") is just a lazy excuse to allow for more emotion and dialogue. For me, the movie starts to fall apart after about 40 minutes, after we well and truly get into the "gifted girl with a troubled past" plot that has been done to death already.
FatherJack
On Hiatus
United Kingdom
Awards: 2015 RFGENERATION TOP RUN N' GUNNER

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3961 on: March 08, 2017, 07:44:20 AM »

Brooklyn 99

Elementary

Person of Interest

The Big Bang Theory

Travelers
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3962 on: March 20, 2017, 05:35:56 PM »

Plowed through The Iron Fist over the weekend.  While I think I mostly agree with the general feelings about the show, I have to disagree with the critique about the choreography.  While I did find it annoying that certain parts of fights where obviously done with stunt doubles (likely due to the inclusion of non-practical techniques), much of it was very good, with the sword-work of Jessica Henwick being the absolute best part, followed by the battle with Zhou Cheng as a close second.

Now back to The Man in the High Castle...

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3963 on: March 25, 2017, 11:44:35 PM »

Just finished Dexter. I feel let down with the ending but o well. Ha

Hoping to start twin peaks. Watched the pilot episode and than didn't have time.

Also might try to start inyuyasha since I never finished it when it was on tv and it's on Netflix's now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now your playing with power!
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #3964 on: March 26, 2017, 06:05:33 AM »

Even more movie...let's go!

The Sting - (1973) - B+
--> Heist/con movie starring Paul Newman and Robert Redford. A little dated in places, but great fun.

Ice Age: Continental Drift - (2012) - C
--> Man, they should've ended this franchise after the second or third movie. They're making the same movie over and over again. Highlight is Peter Dinklage as Captain Gutt!

Take Shelter - (2011) - A
--> Tremendous performance by Michael Shannon in this psychological thriller. You can see his mind unravel. Recommended.

Garden State - (2004) - B+
--> A bit of a simplistic, quirky feel-good movie.

Transsiberian - (2008) - A-
--> Wow, what a thriller! The buildup, and the "things can't possible get any worse - damn, they just did!" feeling is excellent.

Her - (2013) - B-
--> Great concept, but feels like they could've done much more. No idea what though, but towards the end it felt a bit boring watching Joaquin Phoenix just sit around and talk.

Secretary - (2002) - B+
--> Damn, Maggie Gyllenhaal is sexy in some of these scenes. The tension is nicely done.

Selma - (2014) - A
--> Must-see historical drama regarding the Selma protests led by Martin Luther King.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - (2014) - B
--> I remember finding it quite alright, but now that I'm trying to write about it (maybe 2 weeks later), I can't seem to remember what the plot was about...I think that's an issue with these Marvel movies, most of them feel very similar to one another.

Mr. Turner - (2014) - A+
--> Excellent biopic about the 19th century painter J. M. W. Turner. Engrossing characters, great decors and wonderful landscapes throughout.

Kingsman: The Secret Service - (2014) - B+
--> Spy comedy, sort of similar to Johnny English or Austin Powers. Quite graphic in its violence at times, but good fun.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #3965 on: April 17, 2017, 10:05:25 AM »

More movies of the past month.

Noah - (2014) - C
--> The story didn't really work for me.

Angels & Demons - (2009) - B
--> These Robert Langdon film adaptations are always a fun watch.

The Secret of My Success - (1987) - B-
--> Oh man, the 1980ies feel like a hundred years ago. The clothes, the hair, the music...so wrong it becomes "right" again.

Mean Streets - (1973) - C
--> This supposedly is the breakthrough movie that launched Scorsese's career. But to me, it's so boring, the dialog is hard to understand, the story goes nowhere and the movie is just altogether...boring. It's just a bunch of maffiosi going "Hey! You looking at me?" ...and then they start fighting. Repeat this x10 and you have the plot of the movie.

L.A. Confidential - (1997) - A
--> Second time I've seen this movie. Excellent story, great suspense, great actors.

Blue Jasmine - (2013) - A+
--> I did not see "A Streetcar Named Desire", on which Allen based this movie, but I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. An incredible performance by Cate Blanchett.

Moonrise Kingdom - (2012) - A
--> Note to self: watch all of Wes Anderson's movies.

Holy Motors - (2012) - B-
--> I can see what they were trying to accomplish, but the movie doesn't quite get there (for me), and remains partially stuck in just a "weirdness" place.

Far from Heaven - (2002) - A-
--> Great movie with Julianne Moore and Dennis Quaid. They are stuck in a semi-loveless marriage in the 1950ies. From the outside, everything is perfect, but look a little further, and things become more abiguous.

The Remains of the Day - (1993) - A+
--> The tension between Anthony Hopkins' and Emma Thompson's characters is excellent.

The Grand Seduction - (2013) - B-
--> Good hearted comedy movie about a small harbor community trying to welcome in a new character.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #3966 on: May 20, 2017, 06:33:41 PM »

I really need to do another post - have watched a ton of movies over the past month.

Zero Dark Thirty - (2012) - A
--> Fantastic movie about the decade-long hunt for Osama Bin Laden.

Romeo + Juliet - (1996) - C-
--> This movie received good reviews, and has good actors playing in it, but I didn't like it. I think they tried to force the "modern" theme into the traditional Shakespear story (also retaining the original dialogue) but it feels forced. A lot of the minor characters are cardboard buffoons. I'm surprised how Claire Danes looked like a different person altogether. Leo looks exactly as he does now, only younger.

Spy - (2015) - B+
--> Good-hearted British spy-comedy film, following the tradition of Austin Powers, Johnny English, etc...

Apollo 13 - (1995) - B
--> Perhaps a little too moralizing, but a great docudrama about the Apollo 13 space mission.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - (2015) - A-
--> Just like Spy, only a little bit more serious, and with better action sequences. I can't believe this movie didn't do well at the box office. In my opinion it deserves a sequel.

The Sugarland Express - (1974) - B+
--> It takes a very good actor to be able to play someone so dumb, so convincingly.

A Simple Life - (2011) - A+
--> Magnificent movie, a must-watch.

Robin Hood - (1973) - B
--> Definitely not the best Disney movie, however it has enough moments that made me smile, especially towards the end.

The Horse Whisperer - (1998) - B+
--> Somehow I had never seen this one, even though they seem to show it once every couple of months at least, on the various "women" channels we have. It's a long movie, probably a bit too long, but rewarding in the end. The story is quite predictable though.

Rescue Dawn - (2006) - A-
--> Excellent performance by Christian Bale. An incredible story.

Risky Business - (1983) - C+
--> Very similar in style and theme to The Secret of My Success. I can only conclude that these 80ies comedies haven't aged well at all.

Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation - (2015) - B+
--> Jus as good as a Ghost Protocol, if not better.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #3967 on: June 04, 2017, 06:38:14 PM »

I'm a bit behind on my movie log. Here goes..

Source Code - (2011) - B+
--> Seriously cool movie, interesting concept. It's similar to Memento's way of repeating itself. Great watch.

Like Father, like Son - (2013) - A
--> Japanese film about a family who discovers their son was switched with another baby at birth. Excellent movie, with a powerful message.

Drive - (2011) - A-
--> Second viewing. Ryan Gosling is brooding the entire film. The opening sequence alone makes it worth the watch.

Timbuktu - (2014) - A-
--> A must view in my opinion, because it shows the influence of Islamist extremism in an atypical (i.e. non-Western) environment.

Zootropolis - (2016) - B+
--> I just discovered on wikipedia that this movie's original title is Zootopia. Honestly, I didn't really know what to expect. I picked up the Blu-ray a couple weeks ago, despite never even realizing this had come out in the cinema. As I'm looking at the wikipedia page, I see it was a huge box office hit. After watching the movie, I'm not surprised. The story is fun and fairly original, the characters interesting and the animation excellent.

Ocean's Twelve - (2004) - B
--> Great movie if you just want to enjoy some mindless action from a splendid ensemble cast. This is probably the third or fourth time I've watched it. Somehow, it doesn't get boring.

The Player - (1992) - B+
--> A Robert Altman movie. I think from his other movies, I've only seen Gosford Park, which is a great movie. This kind of movie could never be made today. It's about Hollywood itself, in fact, probably about a Hollywood that doesn't exist anymore. It's a shame, as I think there's room for "intelligent" movies such as this, to stand alongside all the action a superhero movies.

Mad Max - (1979) - D
--> Probably my most controversial rating of this post, but I couldn't connect with the movie at all. The villains are so cartoony and stupid, including their outfits, that it makes the entire movie a joke. Some of the car scenes are also quite unrealistic; all of this breaking my immersion all the time. A lot if it just looks like...bad acting to me. It's so bad, I was wondering whether that was the point of the director: to make a movie that's so bad it becomes good again. But I don't think that's the case, which just means it ends up being weird. I know it's a cult classic nowdays, probably because it was one of the first big Australian movies to be made, with a lot of (now) classic cars, etc... But for me, who never saw the movie until now and hasn't developed any nostalgia for it, it's just simly a bad movie.

Calvary - (2014) - B
--> A dark comedy, about an Irish priest trying to find himself in his community during a week. A typical film festival type of movie, although I do watch quite a lot of those (Like Father, Like Son, Timbuktu).

Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome - (2013) - C
--> I'm reading on wikipedia this was actually a miniseries, but I saw it as a movie. You can tell this was made on a limited budget, but the (unknown) cast does a reasonable job given the questionable material at hand.

Nightcrawler - (2014) - A
--> Outstanding movie about a very innovative subject. Jake Gyllenhaal's performance is this a milestone in his career. He nails the sociopath/psycho vibe.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #3968 on: July 18, 2017, 08:51:31 PM »

It's been ages since my last post. I'll probably have to do two posts in a row.

The Good Lie - (2014) - B
--> Gripping movie about Sudanese refugees coping with their new existence in the US. We learn about their past as well.

The Big Kahuna - (1999) - B+
--> Three guys sit in a hotel room and argue. Nearly the entire movie is dialogue. Great performances by Kevin Spacey and Danny DeVito. I don't think this kind of movie would be allowed to get made in 2017.

The Da Vinci Code - (2006) - B-
--> Not the best movie ever made, but always an enjoyable and relaxing watch. It's...interesting to see how this movie holds a really bad score on rotten tomatoes. The plot might not be very believable, but as a movie, it works.

Pokémon movie 16 & 17 - (2013 & 2014) - F
--> I randomly stumbled upon these two movies, being played on a cartoon TV channel during a weekend. As these are only 70-75min long "movies", they're a very quick watch. Genesect and the Legend Awakened and Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction are the specific titles. To be honest, they're really bad movies, and I found myself losing interest quickly, despite the short play time of both. The plots do not make a lot of sense, and the pacing somehow feels wrong. The regular Pokémon anime episodes are much better than this stuff.

Hot Fuzz - (2007) - B
--> Silly but well executed action comedy about cops in the UK.

Frequency - (2000) - C+
--> Decent movie, but the plot loses credibility after too many illogical plottwists.

Jack and Sarah - (1995) - B
--> Feelgood style romcom of the mid 90ies starring Richard E. Grant. Judi Dench and Ian McKellen play supporting roles. Overall good acting. There are a lot worse romcoms out there.

Argo - (2012) - A
--> Great from beginning to end, with an interesting story and characters you care about.

Hot Shots! Part Deux - (1993) - C
--> Good for a quick laugh, but I prefer other comedies over this one.

Stardust - (2007) - B
--> I've seen this one before. Robert De Niro plays a funny role here.

Northanger Abbey - (2007) - A-
--> Excellent costume drama with good performances by all actors.

Insomnia - (2002) - B
--> A fairly straightforward thriller which, in my opinion, doesn't match Christopher Nolan's better movies such as Memento, Inception or Interstellar.
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3969 on: July 19, 2017, 10:14:05 PM »

The Warriors

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #3970 on: July 22, 2017, 07:09:00 PM »

The Man with the Golden Gun - (1974) - C+
--> The Roger Moore era was probably the cheesiest in Bond movies. Christopher Lee is a highlight as Scaramanga.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - (2014) - C
--> Much worse than the original "Amazing Spider-Man" movie. This movie suffers from way too many rediculous subplots and characters.

Jerry Maguire - (1996) - B+
--> Excellent movie and something a bit different from the typical Cruise fare. Although the "from zero to hero" story is still there, come to think of it. There's a hilarious bit written by Roger Ebert in his review of Days of Thunder, where he basically sums up the ingredients that make up every Tom Cruise movie (at that time), pointing out that they're more or less all the same. It's hilarious, I recommend checking it out. Jerry Maguire, too. It's a good movie.

Swingers - (1996) - A-
--> Very similar to The Big Kahuna, in that this movie is very heavy on the dialogue, with "nothing" going on (which is the point of the movie). I love these type of movies, which are a thing of the past, except maybe for small indie movies. I wonder if today's generation of teenagers could sit through this movie without checking their smartphone every 2 minutes. Great watch if you can, I highly recommend it.

Sliding Doors - (1998) - B-
--> This is effectively just another romcom that relies on a gimmick to tell the usual story with a bit of a twist. The basic story isn't the strongest in the genre, but the genuine performance by Gwyneth Paltrow raise the movie above the mediocre.

Manhattan - (1979) - B
--> Woody Allen plays...his neurotic self again. The movie is in black & white and has music by Gershwin, which gives a great atmosphere. On the other hand, this feels too much like a rehash of Annie Hall, with the same actors no less.

Tropic Thunder - (2008) - B
--> Wow, I can't believe this movie is 9 years old already. Fun stuff. Robert Downey Jr.'s character steals every scene he's in.

Inside Man - (2006) - B+
--> Interesting version of the bank heist story. Some interesting plot points. Nearly every role in this movie is played by a big time actor. Denzel is his usual self, with Jodie Foster and Clive Owen delivering standout performances.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - (1988) - B+
--> Classic comedy starring Steve Martin and Michael Caine. Great stuff.

Billy Elliot - (2000) - A
--> Fantastic "against all odds" type of story about a boy with a working class background with a talent for ballet.

Coco avant Chanel - (2009) - A-
--> Excellent semi-biographical movie about the early life of Coco Chanel.

Snow White and the Huntsman - (2012) - B-
--> Good movie, mostly held together by Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron, however I didn't like Kristen Stewart's performance as Snow White. She's so passive in most scenes, with the same facial expression throughout. She also doesn't look like the actress that portrays the "young" Snow White, who is far more beautiful, and shows more expressions during the first 5 minutes than Kristen Stewart does during the rest of the movie.
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3971 on: July 22, 2017, 10:07:59 PM »

The Fog

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #3972 on: August 16, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »

From Russia with Love - (1963) - B
--> I think I prefer the Sean Connery Bond movies over the Roger Moore ones. Especially towards the end of the Moore era, the films no longer take themselves even the slightest bit seriously, which hurts them overall, in my opinion.

Café de Flore - (2011) - B+
--> Touching drama about a mother and her Down syndrome son, alongside an unrelated story set in modern day Canada. This could've been a lot better had there been some incredible revelation at the end, but there wasn't.

Rock the Casbah - (2013) - A
--> Terrific movie about three Morrocon women whose father dies. They all get together in the family home, and quite soon a lot of old feuds and annoyances rear their ugly head...

About Time - (2013) - B+
--> British romcom about a young man who learns that all men in his family can travel back in time. The film seperates itself from the typical romcom tripe by a heartfelt story and some terrific performances, especially by Bill Nighy.

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby - (2006) - C+
--> So good it's bad...but it's still pretty bad. I know this entire movie is a tounge-in-cheeck, laughing-at-ourselves type of movie, but it's still kind of a bad movie in my opinion.

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - (2015) - B-
--> The movie stalls in some moments and the character of Sonny is simply annoying. Other than that, some good laughs to be had, plus there's a whole bunch of great british actors playing.

Dangerous Liaisons - (1988) - A
--> Splendid movie. I love costume dramas, and this is one of the best. The performances by Glenn Close, John Malkovich and Michelle Pfeiffer are equally impressive. I also enjoyed seeing a younger Uma Thurman and Keanu Reeves, both playing innocent roles, quite different from the roles they became big stars through.

Ocean's Thirteen - (2007) - B+
--> The trilogy is Ocean's movie might just be one of my favorite "perfect movie to enjoy without having to pay too much attention". The colors in this one are vibrant, and the music is great as usual.

Le Gendarme de Saint-Tropez - (1964) - B+
--> This is the first movie in which Louis de Funès plays Cruchot, a local gendarme chef in Saint-Tropez (France). He and his troops end up in a series of comical situations, despite good intentions. You have to understand French to grab the subtle nuances of some of the jokes though.

The Farewell Party - (2014) - A-
--> Israeli dark comedy about a group of elders helping others perform euthanasia, because doctors refuse to help. It might sound somewhat macabre, but the movie is very funny.

Le gendarme à New York - (1965) - B+
--> Sequel to the Gendarme à Saint-Tropez. In this one, the group goes to New York, for an international police conference. More gags follow. Also, vintage 1965 New York can be seen in a lot of scenes.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #3973 on: August 22, 2017, 08:28:59 PM »

I've been watching nearly one movie per day for the past couple of weeks, so I have to keep up with my posts. Here goes...

The Jane Austen Book Club - (2007) - C+
--> A rather tepid romcom movie. It has its moments, but the overall story is quite predictable. I would recommend to read Jane Austen's books before watching (it's only 6 books, so not a big deal), as there are obviously a ton of references during the book club scenes.

Miller's Crossing - (1990) - B+
--> Solid movie, very much a throwback to the old noir thrillers of the 1940's. Expect a lot of gangsters, old buildings, staircases and a plot too complex for its own good. A movie fan's movie.

Red Eye - (2005) - B-
--> A bit of a weird thriller. It feels oddly low budget in places, especially the end, where it almost feels as if they ran out of money and then just quickly did the final few scenes. The motives of the movie's villain aren't well defined, which makes the entire plot feel just a bit off.

Le gendarme se marie - (1968) - B+
--> Third movie in the "gendarme" series. In this movie, Cruchot gets married. More gags ensue.

Mommy - (2014) - A+
--> Incredible movie. Simply amazing. Strong performances and a gripping story that will stick with you for a long time.

Sideways - (2004) - A
--> Fantastic film. While I was watching it, I thought it was a movie ten years older than it actually is, but in a good way. It reminded me of movies such as Swingers and The Big Kahuna, which are movies of the 1990's. It manages to be very heavy in dialogue, yet at the same have a lot of "action" scenes as well. The story is well written and the main character's arch is well executed.

A Perfect Plan - (2012) - C-
--> This romcom is formalaic in nature and lacks chemistry between the two leads to be convincing.

Sleep Tight - (2011) - B+
--> Very creepy thriller centered around the movements of an apartement concierge in a building in Spain.

All Is Lost - (2013) - A
--> This movie is unlike any other I've seen. The entire movie shows Robert Redford struggling with his boat after a collision with a shipping container. Redford's performance is incredible, given his age and the fact that there is almost no dialogue in the entire movie.

Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot - (1953) - C
--> Buster Keaton style "series of gags" movie with barely any plot to speak of. It's supposedly a milestone in French cinema, but it feels very dated today.

Mademoiselle Chambon - (2009) - B+
--> This film poses an interesting moral dilemma for the main character. There are several great scenes in which hardly a word is being said.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3974 on: September 11, 2017, 06:05:27 PM »

Taking a break from bad movies (a la, MST3K) for a good one, that being The Hound of the Baskervilles (the Basil Rathbone version).  Excellent movie, and I feel inclined to watch several more of the Rathbone flicks.  Not all fourteen, but certainly two or three.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 293 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length