RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:17:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Moniker Mania: RF Generation User Name Origins 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Moniker Mania: RF Generation User Name Origins  (Read 63550 times)
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2014, 11:31:57 AM »

I rarely dream.

How did you become the Dreamkiller when you have few dreams of your own to practice your craft on?

If he can't dream then no one will!!

Correct.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »

I rarely dream.

How did you become the Dreamkiller when you have few dreams of your own to practice your craft on?

If he can't dream then no one will!!

Sounds like the tag line to an Inception sequel/spinoff. Or a new take on the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise.

Anybody want to help me with the story treatment I'll be pitching to the Hollywood producers?

I'm in as long as there are boobs involved

Crabby's only vice in an otherwise Straightedge lifestyle.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »

I   <3   ( o ) ( o )

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2014, 12:28:45 PM »

I   <3   ( o ) ( o )

I love Cookie Monster eyeballs too, big guy.
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2014, 01:12:44 PM »

I   <3   ( o ) ( o )

I thought that was 1337 speak for, 1 is less than 3101101.

Which is true.
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »

I   <3   ( o ) ( o )

I thought that was 1337 speak for, 1 is less than 3101101.

Which is true.

Good thing you had a calculator nearby to figure that out, huh?

In other news: what's YOUR story?
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »

Have I not told it here before? I know I've not made a secret of it, must have said in chat and pm's and the like....

Back in the 90's a friend and I (ironically I just emailed him not 5 minutes before I saw this) needed a user name for something. He literally just mashed his hand on the keyboard and "nupoile" appeared. We both were like, "Hey! That actually looks like a word." So we used it.

I like it because it has no meaning, isn't related to anything, only uses letters and no one else has it. That's also why there's no capitalization.

I'm not really a stickler for pronunciation either (because it's not a word) normally I say it like, "new poil ee" though.
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2014, 02:18:03 PM »

Have I not told it here before? I know I've not made a secret of it, must have said in chat and pm's and the like....

Back in the 90's a friend and I (ironically I just emailed him not 5 minutes before I saw this) needed a user name for something. He literally just mashed his hand on the keyboard and "nupoile" appeared. We both were like, "Hey! That actually looks like a word." So we used it.

I like it because it has no meaning, isn't related to anything, only uses letters and no one else has it. That's also why there's no capitalization.

I'm not really a stickler for pronunciation either (because it's not a word) normally I say it like, "new poil ee" though.

When I first saw it, I thought it might have been French, and pronounced, "new-pwahl."

Dodged a bullet there, that's for sure.

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2014, 02:26:56 PM »

"new-pwahl."
That's sort of how I think it is too...
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2014, 03:00:26 PM »

"new-pwahl."
That's sort of how I think it is too...

If that is the same as new-poil. That is how i have always read it and i agree.

EDIT
Damn typos.

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2014, 09:17:13 PM »

My real first name is Erik, and 'ErGII' is the result of my attempt to spell out my name in the original Dragon Warrior...with the Power Glove. It had already been a half hour, and that seemed close enough.

Adding 'Invader' was meant to make it sound like an Invader Zim character, I think. I'm not very clever.

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2014, 11:18:04 PM »

While it would seem mine is pretty obvious, like anything to do with me it has a long-winded story...

Back in my college days, due to some interesting developments concerning an engagement, homelessness, medical issues, and close friends, I ended up paying $150 each month for rent to live in a walk-in closet at a 3-bedroom house shared amongst 24-hour-partying twenty-somethings.  There was a constant presence of anywhere between a dozen to fifty anything-goes people hanging out everyday, and the place was colloquially if not universally coined "The Slacker House."

Years after its inevitable collapse, I was setting up my Xbox Live account, and despite getting in early, 'slacker' was taken.  'slackur' was the first derivative that worked.

I've actually been working on writing 'The Slackurhouse Memoirs' off and on for a few years now.

Keelah se'lai
TheSaintOfPain
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2014, 09:18:04 PM »

I briefly did some backyard wrestling back when I was in high school, and The Saint Of Pain was my "ring name."  I didn't do it very long, but the name just stuck with me, and I've used it and variations thereof for various email accounts, my XBox Live handle, here of course, and a variation (Saint Pain) is the codename of a superhero character I created for a comic book idea I've been developing off and on for a few years now.

Just Take A Look Around And What Do You See?
Pain, Suffering, And Misery.
It's Not The Way The World Was Planned;
It's A Pity You Don't Understand.

--Black Sabbath, "Killing Yourself To Live"
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2014, 01:16:47 PM »

My name comes from my days when I worked at Tattoo shop. I was mostly a customer service and clean-up person but I also did piercings. So, the boss at this place starts calling me Fokakis because there is a guy with that last name who runs an Amusement Arcade Distribution company. My boss says he always is busy and gets shit done no matter what, so he thought the same about me. The nickname stuck and soon everyone that I knew started calling me this.

I have since used the name for any username, character names on video games. D&D characters.

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2019, 09:29:17 PM »

Hey now! I'm dredging up this thread in the hope that some of RF Generation's newer members will share their user-name origin stories. Have at it...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length