RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:00:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Moniker Mania: RF Generation User Name Origins 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Moniker Mania: RF Generation User Name Origins  (Read 63547 times)
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2019, 10:37:36 AM »

I suppose I've been here long enough, I should explain mine. It's not that complicated. "FRO" was a high school nickname I had, because of my hair. I hated it at first, but it stuck, and eventually I embraced it. I'm still "FRO" on the shmups forums. Most other forums either wouldn't allow a username that short, or it had already been taken by someone, or by a bot. So I added "Metal" to the front because, well, I love heavy metal. Thus, MetalFRO was born.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2019, 10:48:57 AM »

He's the funkiest dude in the mosh pit

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
RobotWillie
Don't You Know Blackmail is Way Uncool
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2019, 03:00:43 PM »

I don't think I explained this yet. I am too lazy to look back through this.

My real name is William but my family and friends call me Willie. In high school one of my friends starting calling me this one day and I hated it. Soon some other started to, thankfully it was only a few people. He explained he thought I talked like a robot, in a kind of monotone voice. I disagree but maybe when I was younger I was more like that. I think the older me speaks with more emotion. But I don't think I ever agreed with this assessment. However even though I hated it I realized soon after it gave me a unique nickname I could embrace and use on social media platforms such as this. I always had trouble thinking of usernames before and now I had a good one to use. An example of a username I used on the music sites LastFM and Rate Your Music were CantDecideAName and ThisDesiredName. I literally just used the fact I couldn't think of one as the username. I loved the wittiness of those but RobotWillie is more personal and has more to do with me. I also used the name of the city I live in, its a good sized city and there isn't really any other cities with the name so it was often not taken when signing up for services such as the main Shenmue fansite which a member there showd me this place (Ryudo) as he went by then. If it was used I would put Will on the end, another shortened version of my real name. I did this on MySpace. It is dangerous to use the name of where you live in retrospect but its large enough that I don't fret about being picked out of the haystack somehow and my first name is common enough, and I never told anyone my address unless I trusted them (such as a guy who exchanged games with me).

The bottom line is I finally had a name that was more unique and personal and ironically I hated it at the start. I do like being called Bill less for some reason. Its because I have been given the nickname Willie and calling me Bill sounds wrong to me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 03:02:18 PM by RobotWillie » Logged

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2019, 04:55:53 PM »

I suppose I've been here long enough, I should explain mine. It's not that complicated. "FRO" was a high school nickname I had, because of my hair. I hated it at first, but it stuck, and eventually I embraced it. I'm still "FRO" on the shmups forums. Most other forums either wouldn't allow a username that short, or it had already been taken by someone, or by a bot. So I added "Metal" to the front because, well, I love heavy metal. Thus, MetalFRO was born.

He's the funkiest dude in the mosh pit

The first time I read "MetalFRO," it conjured up images of some guy wearing a wig made out of Brillo pads.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2020, 10:54:52 AM »

Wow, I'm shocked I haven't posted in this yet.  Mine is very simple, people say I look like Shaggy from Scooby-Doo.  I don't see the resemblance.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
koola6
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2023, 06:52:01 AM »

I've actually had quite a few over the years, but to save you guys trouble here's the two that I use on RFGen:

MerryGoRoundGaming (barely use it anymore but you can still see it in the url of my blog) was something I came up after going on a merry-go-round when I was like 8. It's that simple lol

The one I use nowadays is koola. koola comes from my old email koolaidman@tocomail.com, which has its own backstory. I was looking through the Windows file directories about 2 years ago, and came across koola as my user folder (abbreviation of koolaidman from the afformentioned email address). I really liked it and it's the moniker I've used ever since.
Beardcore84
that TMNT guy
Donor

Stats
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2023, 06:57:47 PM »

I like the band NOFX, I was born in 1984, they have a song called "Hardcore 84", I have a beard, so I just changed it to "Beardcore84", mostly because "Beardcore" as a possible music genre makes me laugh.

Running out of games to buy.
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2023, 11:05:02 PM »

Wow, I'm shocked I haven't posted in this yet.  Mine is very simple, people say I look like Shaggy from Scooby-Doo.  I don't see the resemblance.

Yeah, you look  lot more like Bonk to me.
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2023, 11:09:05 PM »

I've actually had quite a few over the years, but to save you guys trouble here's the two that I use on RFGen:

MerryGoRoundGaming (barely use it anymore but you can still see it in the url of my blog) was something I came up after going on a merry-go-round when I was like 8. It's that simple lol

The one I use nowadays is koola. koola comes from my old email koolaidman@tocomail.com, which has its own backstory. I was looking through the Windows file directories about 2 years ago, and came across koola as my user folder (abbreviation of koolaidman from the afformentioned email address). I really liked it and it's the moniker I've used ever since.

Oh wait, you didn't  name yourself after your favorite brand of menthol cigarettes? I feel kinda let down now.

Hey, remember the times Family Guy made all those Kool-Aid Man references?

https://youtu.be/Xrod7IsY5vk
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2023, 11:11:41 PM »

I like the band NOFX, I was born in 1984, they have a song called "Hardcore 84", I have a beard, so I just changed it to "Beardcore84", mostly because "Beardcore" as a possible music genre makes me laugh.

Well I hope the beard covers more than just your neck.

BTW thanks for dredging this thread up from the depths once again.

So, does anybody else out there care to share their story? Don't be scared...
Beardcore84
that TMNT guy
Donor

Stats
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2023, 01:27:34 PM »

Well I hope the beard covers more than just your neck.

BTW thanks for dredging this thread up from the depths once again.

Yes, nice and full in the face region! Cheesy

Running out of games to buy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length