RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:36:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Any other Magic players on RFG? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Any other Magic players on RFG?  (Read 14975 times)
InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2014, 08:21:14 PM »

Modern. I have a few decks built that I think I might like enough to play for 9 hours (W/B weenie/tokens, Bloom Titan, Storm). Just gotta get some more practice in and see what clicks.

On a related note, screw modern for being so damn expensive. The above decks are reasonably affordable, but man...it's not legacy, but it's seriously getting close.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2014, 08:33:43 PM »

Modern is very expensive indeed. I have a Soul Sisters deck for modern. It's not amazing, but it's something. I might upgrade it to a Norin the Wary deck sometime in the future.

I'm thinking of getting into Legacy on a budget, too. I really like Enchantress, although it isn't as good a deck anymore as it used to be. I could probably build a budget version of that (skipping the mana base, essentially) for €350-400. That's still a lot of money, in my opinion. If I managed to do that, I'd have a deck for every format though, which would be sweet.

EDIT: About Modern: I feel like there's a bubble waiting to burst. Prices have risen insanely fast. I don't have any of the staples. They're getting more expensive by the month. Fetches, Bob, Clique, Lilliana, ... everything costs a fortune.

Modern was supposedly created to "replace" Legacy as a non-rotating format not affected by the Reserved list. Atleast that's the way Wizards explained it. Modern Masters hardly changed prices (only Standard can, imo) and Modern decks are already as expensive as Legacy decks were back when they announced Modern, if not more expensive.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:39:21 PM by Sirgin » Logged
InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2014, 10:13:56 PM »

No joke - last week, I traded a Scalding Tarn for this bad boy:

Mint condition. Only one of those two will hold its value, and it's not the one I gave up.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2014, 07:44:57 AM »

I wish I could exile something for 1 cost, let alone gain life equal to its power...

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2014, 12:45:23 PM »

^ Neat. It's obviously an Alpha or Beta version (can't tell which).

If it were me, I'd buy a cheap 4th edition version or something though. Tongue

Anyway, I'm leaving for Vienna in 2 days. I bought a deckbox and new sleeves today for the event. I'm going to try and be there at te event hall early (9-10AM) on friday so I can get my hands on one of the limited free playmats. They printed 900, so I assume if I'm there friday morning, I should be ok.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2014, 02:24:53 PM »

It's Alpha. Didn't realize they kept reprinting that card...
Handy flow chart for reference:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:28:14 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2014, 02:26:50 PM »

It's a Beta one, actually. Wink

I have a Commander deck that I'm "blinging out" and while I had a foil version of the card, this is way cooler.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2014, 04:27:44 PM »

Hard to tell without it in front of me. Cry

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2014, 05:13:27 PM »

I'm back from GP Vienna. The GP was awesome. I was quite unlucky with my sealed pool, but that can happen. Comically, the pool I opened (you don't get to play with the cards you open) was awesome. Three mythics: Elspeth, Xanagos and the UW God. Yeah. :p

On sunday I played all day constructed pickups, which was pretty fun as well. I ended up doing 5 Standard pickups and 1 Modern pickup.

I got the sweet-looking playmat this time. I didn't manage to get one on my previous GP's.

Vienna was a nice city as well.

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2015, 12:02:07 PM »

I really, REALLY liked these cards from about 2001 to like 2003. I never met a soul who was into them other than 1 friend at high school but it seemed like he was burnt out on them at the time. I never met anyone else who liked them til I was in the Army and the ones who liked them were tool bags. I can't imagine getting into them now and trying to understand all the different sets, the rules, the variations, etc. If I met someone cool, locally who was into them, I could see getting back into it but like I said, I've only met a couple people who were into it. I have the same problem with meeting anyone who plays video games that were made prior to 2014.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2015, 01:08:50 AM »

I stopped collecting them after like Apocalypse or thereabouts, but I have a pretty sizable collection of the older stuff, '97ish-'05ish. Lots of stuff from Urza's Saga, Legacy, and Destiny, Ice age, Legends, and Invasion. Also a lot of 6th and 7th edition stuff too. I have some stuff from a couple newer sets that I have picked while thrifting, but haven't looked much into them. I still have my rainbow deck together though, never gonna tear that piece of deck-building away. I put months into doing what I could to make it work efficiently.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »

I really, REALLY liked these cards from about 2001 to like 2003. I never met a soul who was into them other than 1 friend at high school but it seemed like he was burnt out on them at the time. I never met anyone else who liked them til I was in the Army and the ones who liked them were tool bags. I can't imagine getting into them now and trying to understand all the different sets, the rules, the variations, etc. If I met someone cool, locally who was into them, I could see getting back into it but like I said, I've only met a couple people who were into it. I have the same problem with meeting anyone who plays video games that were made prior to 2014.

The easiest way to find other Magic players is going to tournaments at your LGS. Go play sealed or draft at first, which eliminates the need for you to already own a Standard deck.

I haven't played in a tournament since late August last year, but I am going to the Dragons of Tarkhir prerelease tommorow. Smiley I hardly know what the cards are, but in my experience with prereleases, it really doesn't matter. Just build a sealed deck, stick to the 23-17 rule and you're good to go.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length