RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:42:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Community Playthrough Suggestion Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 37 Print
Author Topic: Community Playthrough Suggestion Thread  (Read 205743 times)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #465 on: August 01, 2015, 01:08:28 PM »

Hey, community! I'm feeling the Playstation Vita for November. Any requests or suggestions for titles?

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #466 on: August 04, 2015, 02:30:08 PM »

Astyanax

I've been wanting to suggest an off-the-beaten path NES game that I really enjoy to share it with the board.  However, a lot of those games are now very expensive (WTF, Rockin' Kats?)

However, Astyanax meets my criteria and can still be had for under $5.  I was slightly worried that the game would be too difficult/frustrating for new players, but Little Nemo has neatly allayed those fears.

Astyanax is a fantasy hack & slash action platformer.  It has a unique look with large sprites for the hero and the enemies (especially bosses).  The music is excellent.  The story, while a bit "anime" for some, I'm sure, is well told through plentiful cut scenes.

As I said, I was worried about the game being too frustrating, as it has endlessly spawning enemies designed only to screw with your jumps.  However, you have the tools to mitigate these problematic enemies, unlike in Little Nemo.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:42:02 PM by Ikariniku » Logged

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #467 on: August 04, 2015, 03:08:49 PM »

Astyanax will alienate PAL gamers a bit. It's pretty rare here. Us PAL A gamers have to import ours from Australia!
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #468 on: August 04, 2015, 03:21:27 PM »

Astyanax will alienate PAL gamers a bit. It's pretty rare here. Us PAL A gamers have to import ours from Australia!

Man, that was the opposite of my intent.  Well, we can make it up by making it a dual month, Astyanax/Super Turrican.  Then both NTSC and PAL can have a frustrating, out of region game search.  Wink

More seriously, would importing the Famicom version, Lord of King, be a more affordable option for PAL gamers?  Senseiman has it available for $6 USD plus shipping.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #469 on: August 04, 2015, 04:29:12 PM »

Hey, community! I'm feeling the Playstation Vita for November. Any requests or suggestions for titles?

Yeah, buy me a Vita.......... Tongue

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #470 on: August 04, 2015, 06:49:18 PM »

I may be wrong, as I haven't been following this too closely, but has an Original Xbox Game been done yet? If not, might I suggest one of the following:

Shenmue II
Ninja Gaiden Black
Far Cry Instincts
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
Fatal Frame 2
Shadow The Hedgehog

I would enjoy an excuse to play Ninja Gaiden Black.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #471 on: August 06, 2015, 02:41:35 PM »

What's the game planned for October? I did not see it on the schedule yet, so just putting out a few ideas, I have.  I think it should be Horror Themed, which I believe is what usually happens.

I think Single Banana mentioned the Castlevania series at one point to me, which is great. Which ones, should we play?

Other suggestions, I have are the Splatterhouse series? or a selection of Horror themed games? for example, Friday the 13th on the NES, Monster Party, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, etc.

I would love to be a part of the playthrough in October.  I love Horror, so its a perfect month for me to join in

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #472 on: August 06, 2015, 03:03:05 PM »

What's the game planned for October? I did not see it on the schedule yet, so just putting out a few ideas, I have.  I think it should be Horror Themed, which I believe is what usually happens.

I think Single Banana mentioned the Castlevania series at one point to me, which is great. Which ones, should we play?

Other suggestions, I have are the Splatterhouse series? or a selection of Horror themed games? for example, Friday the 13th on the NES, Monster Party, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, etc.

I would love to be a part of the playthrough in October.  I love Horror, so its a perfect month for me to join in

Funny you mention it. Floyd and I have been knocking around ideas for the retro playthrough just recently and we have a nice little short list. We have played a Castlevania game ever October in the past. Will we play another or will we go off the rails this year?Huh  NO SPOILERS right now, but I will say that it will be horror themed. Wink

The boys on the modern side have also been in contact with me about what they want to play and I think people are going to be very pleased.

We will probably be announcing the year's remaining games soon, so keep your eye on the front page. Cheesy

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #473 on: August 06, 2015, 03:37:40 PM »

Astyanax

I've been wanting to suggest an off-the-beaten path NES game that I really enjoy to share it with the board.  However, a lot of those games are now very expensive (WTF, Rockin' Kats?)

However, Astyanax meets my criteria and can still be had for under $5.  I was slightly worried that the game would be too difficult/frustrating for new players, but Little Nemo has neatly allayed those fears.

Astyanax is a fantasy hack & slash action platformer.  It has a unique look with large sprites for the hero and the enemies (especially bosses).  The music is excellent.  The story, while a bit "anime" for some, I'm sure, is well told through plentiful cut scenes.

As I said, I was worried about the game being too frustrating, as it has endlessly spawning enemies designed only to screw with your jumps.  However, you have the tools to mitigate these problematic enemies, unlike in Little Nemo.

That sounds great, an off the beaten path NES game.  Also, the Ninja Gaiden series on NES.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #474 on: August 06, 2015, 06:22:33 PM »

How about a Red October? The Hunt for Red October vs. Silent Service

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #475 on: August 06, 2015, 09:01:21 PM »

That actually sounds interesting.  Has anyone ever played Silent Service?

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #476 on: August 06, 2015, 11:53:37 PM »

That actually sounds interesting.  Has anyone ever played Silent Service?

Does anyone even own it? So rare.

Gamer4Lyfe
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #477 on: August 19, 2015, 02:21:29 PM »

Silent Service on NES does not look to be rare or expensive at all...
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #478 on: August 19, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »

Silent Service on NES does not look to be rare or expensive at all...

It's a site meme, based on a Craigslist ad advertising it to be rare and selling for $40.  laugh
I presume you haven't seen the special "gold-plated" Silent Service yet.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:27:21 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #479 on: August 19, 2015, 02:37:39 PM »

@Shadow: The meme sort of turns in on itself once you realize that Silent Service was developed/ported for NES by Rare.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 37 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length