RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:23:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | January Modern Community Playthrough - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: January Modern Community Playthrough - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker  (Read 27546 times)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2014, 06:30:08 AM »

Yeah I'm just being a crank about it. Environmental puzzles are maybe my least favorite thing in 3-D games most of time. Although I'm getting better at figuring out what to do about half of the time, I still get stumped a ton and have look at faqs. I'm an idiot that way. I like to play games that just flow with few or no speedbumps. This game is all speedbumps. It's just my preference. I had the same experience with Beyond Good & Evil and people worship that freakin' game.

I'm certainly going to stick with it for now, don't worry.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2014, 04:02:09 PM »

if you get through all of windwaker maybe your 3D puzzle skills will improve and other games like it won't be so difficult Tongue it's all about practice, no one instinctively knows how to be good at these. as a kid i could never figure out how to get past the Great Deku Tree dungeon in Ocarina of Time and that's the simplest one, but when i went back to it years later i breezed through the whole game (except the water temple, f*** that)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2014, 10:04:48 PM »

I agree with all that. Plus sometimes you have to think vertically because some levels have areas or items on the same floor but at different heights.

Oh and my time spent with the Water Temple went like this:

[img width=620 height=465]http://www.quickmeme.com/img/e1/e10454a85c5f1c58533f80c931429333bff7440a9c05af2a511c4db300c6eb1a.jpg[/img]

Then I rage quite the game.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2014, 10:27:43 PM »

Going to be taking a brief hiatus for a few days. Im on night shift for the next four days and life (gaming included) all but shuts down for me.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 04:10:55 AM »

I really liked the Water Temple in OoT, as it was a good three dimensional logic puzzle.  Admittedly I liked it a lot less on subsequent playthroughs as the pace slows down...
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2014, 05:17:42 PM »

Just made it to the Tower of the Gods. After all the legwork you have to do before you get there, I don't feel like starting a new dungeon right now so I'll pick it back up tomorrow.

Usually when a good game gets blasted for the one or two things that aren't so great it really peeves me out, but the sailing in this game, as everyone and his mother has already told us, is tedious and boring. It's not that I'm mad about it, but you know it's not a great part of the game when you can set your direction, whip out the sail, and go check your email or use the restroom or something. 

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2014, 09:40:26 PM »

you can set your direction, whip out the sail, and go check your email or use the restroom or something. 

How'd you know that's what I do while sailing in this game?

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2014, 10:55:33 AM »

Alright, banged through The Tower of the Gods and the thing that comes after (which I won't spoil). Not looking forward to going back to the Forsaken Fortress but I did spend way too much time there the first time so I'll know the layout pretty well I think.

I'm curious, are you guys taking each dungeon all at once or saving and coming back, in which case you have to backtrack all the way through each time? So far I've been going all the way through each one, and I've been fortunate enough to beat each boss on the first try (though it got a little hairy on the last one), so I haven't had to go back through any dungeons, which I think would really be a bummer.

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2014, 08:17:26 AM »

I tend to do things in one playthrough (I've burnt through my Game Pad's battery numerous times playing this game), although it sounds like the HD remake is more forgiving than the version you're playing.  Firstly, you don't have to quit to save in the Wii U version, and secondly there are teleportation cauldrons.

That bit after the Tower of the Gods was fantastic, and I didn't see it coming.  I especially liked...

Spoiler (hover to show)

Currently at:
Spoiler (hover to show)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2014, 09:05:24 AM »

Firstly, you don't have to quit to save in the Wii U version, and secondly there are teleportation cauldrons.

To clarify, you don't have to quit when you save and yes there are the warp bowls but still I'm such a spoiled modern gamer that to do anything more than once (or more than absolutely necessary let's say) is a pain to me.

Just finished Forsaken Fortress II. Short and sweet and the boss is pretty easy. The revelatory plot exposition that happens there is awesome.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2014, 09:28:02 AM »

I beat the phoenix thing at the Forsaken Fortress last night as well. It was a fun area.

I saw the big reveal coming, because...

Spoiler (hover to show)

This part of the game reminds why I have a love-hate relationship with the Zelda series. You do a lot of work to get to a major plot event then someone says, "hold on, not so fast. You have go get more stuff to be able to face the final boss."

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »

Earlier today I was watching the Giant Bomb quick look for Wind Waker HD because I was curious how it looked compared to the GameCube version.

In the video Brad Shoemaker mentions a thread on NeoGaf which compiles all the differences in the two versions of the game. I found it interesting and thought you guys might as well.

http://www.neogaf.com/for...m/showthread.php?t=689649

Is anyone besides me playing the GameCube version?

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2014, 09:00:57 PM »

I watched a speed run of this game last night as a part of the Awesome Games Done Quick 2014 fundraiser. It was a lot of fun to watch, but not sure if it would be a game for me to go through. Hope you guys are having a blast with it.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2014, 08:42:53 AM »

Yesterday I got a little stumped on what to do but it seems that getting the Ballad of Gales from Cyclos is actually imperative to proceeding the story. Is this as much of a pain in the ass as it seems? I encountered Cyclos once and he chucked my sorry behind all the way to Windfall Island and I haven't seen him since.

The bright side is that I put my rush job on the game on the side last night and just sailed around picking up treasure and such. Ended up finding the 1000 rupee capacity wallet and finally winning the battleship game, completing a heart container I was working on.

So I guess I have find Cyclos now. For those who have already done this (Raidou?), any tips?

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2014, 08:57:53 AM »

Isn't Cyclos found by sailing into one of the large tornadoes?

Have many of you been doing the side quests in this game? I've spent a fair bit of time sailing around looking for hidden treasure using the treasure charts and finding fairy caves.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length