RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:08:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | May Retro Community Playthrough - Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: May Retro Community Playthrough - Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2  (Read 17872 times)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »

congrats! how's everyone else doing on checkpoint 1? week 2 checkpoint will be going up tomorrow
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 02:28:23 PM »

week 2 checkpoint is up!
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2014, 02:11:19 PM »

[img width=700 height=933]http://i.imgur.com/2KGsTge.jpg?1[/img]

I missed like 1 or 2 bonus rooms but I don't feel like looking for them. (Middle was my playthrough)
Silent Scythe
TurboGrafx-16
United States

Stats
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »

Beat DKC, pretty rough week in the real world so I was just using the game to unwind after work. I'll be paying more attention to the achievements in DKC 2 since I've never beaten that one before. I thnik I only got like 40 something percent.
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 06:01:57 PM »

Ending get!!

[img width=700 height=933]http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w365/adsanislo/20140510_155631_zps740cce81.jpg[/img]

57% complete :/ lame I know.  I didn't play this game a whole bunch when I was a kid so I don't know where most of the bonus rooms are or the K.O.N.G. letters for that matter.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 10:00:56 PM »

congrats to everyone who finished already! i finished at only 50%, this was my first time ever playing any of the DKC games.
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 08:54:30 AM »

I'm up to Chimp Caverns world now, so I'll probably finish the game either tonight or tomorrow.

I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I'm not having as much fun with this game as I remember having as a kid.  Maybe I'm just old and bitter now, but I get very frustrated with dying in this game.  That's not to say that I think it's a bad game by any means.  I'm probably just spoiled by modern gaming conventions and wish there were more than the one checkpoint in the middle of the levels.  I get a little tired of playing the same sections over and over again.

The soundtrack is pretty nice.  There are some standout tracks on some of the levels that are really good.

Ack!  It's almost time to start DKC 2 and I still don't have a copy.  Better start searching ebay!

ericeskapade
DB Contributor
Germany

Stats
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 06:47:24 AM »

even if i do not partake this month, i read the discussion out of curiosity: it's interesting to see your game and tv-sets on the monitor-pictures you post. I hope you all enjoy the game! i was amazed how bad i got ("reaction-time!!!") at DKC when i played it some months ago. 
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 08:33:57 AM »

Since the music was mentioned, David Wise and his team were fantastic in these games. If anyone's familiar with OCRemix, David Wise and his team actually created a song to put on their Kong in Concert album, which was remixes from Donkey Kong Country:
http://ocremix.org/album/...g-country-kong-in-concert

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
Re:
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 10:02:50 AM »

I'm almost done with the first one, the gba version keeps track of the kong's found

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »

Just finished Donkey Kong Country.  64% completion and I only found all KONG letters in the first world.

Hopefully I'll have my copy of DKC2 before long so I can keep up with you guys.

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 10:06:42 AM »

[img width=512 height=384]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r534/Blood-Spattered_Angel/dkcwin.jpg[/img]
Finished the remainder of the game today.

This took me somewhat longer because I was determined to get every bonus room and KONG letter.  Unfortunately, I could not find the 'O' in Croctopus Chase, and I got sick of repeating Tanked Up Trouble, so I'm missing a bonus room.
[img width=512 height=384]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r534/Blood-Spattered_Angel/dkc100percent.jpg[/img]
This is the third time I've completed the game at 100% and oddly, it is never the same bonus room I'm missing.

Anyhow, achievements attained:
 - Find all 4 of the K.O.N.G. letters in Kongo Jungle world*
 - Find all 4 of the K.O.N.G. letters in Monkey Mines world*
 - Find all 4 of the K.O.N.G. letters in Vine Valley world*
 - Find all 4 of the K.O.N.G. letters in Kremkroc Industries, Inc world *
 - Find all 4 of the K.O.N.G. letters in Chimp Caverns world *
 - 25% or more completion
 - 50% or more completion
 - 75% or more completion
 - Beat the game
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 12:26:37 PM »

Since the music was mentioned, David Wise and his team were fantastic in these games. If anyone's familiar with OCRemix, David Wise and his team actually created a song to put on their Kong in Concert album, which was remixes from Donkey Kong Country:
http://ocremix.org/album/...g-country-kong-in-concert

Yeah, I actually looked up the composer to see if it was a name I recognized.  One of the tracks in the game (I forget which one) reminded me of a track from Parasite Eve, which also has an awesome soundtrack.  And the final boss theme has a definite Iron Maiden vibe, which in my opinion is a good thing.  Smiley

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »

Speaking of the soundtrack listen to the whole boss theme. There's a reference to a certain horror series.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:13:31 PM by Flee » Logged
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 09:47:16 PM »

I started playing DKC2 for the first time yesterday.  I was pleasantly surprised with how good it is!  The music is great, the variety of enemies is larger than the first game, and every level has a unique theme.  The bosses are way tougher too.

The only small gripe I have is when Diddy Kong finished a stage he does that lame boombox dance.  Yarsh....

Oh yeah, and having to pay to save the game is pretty lame too.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length