RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:00:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Episode 6 - RFGeneration Community Playthrough Wrap-Up 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Episode 6 - RFGeneration Community Playthrough Wrap-Up  (Read 8097 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: October 04, 2014, 02:08:36 AM »

Episode 6 is live on these sites:

Youtube -
Podomatic - http://rfgenplaythroughs.podomatic.com/
Itunes - https://itunes.apple.com/...ythrough/id874327459?mt=2

THIS PODCAST CONTAINS SPOILERS.

Retro: PS1 - Suikoden II
Modern: PS2 - Ico

Join the RFGeneration Community Playthrough hosts Rich (Singlebanana), Jamie (techwizard), Floyd (Fleach), and Shawn (GrayGhost81) along with special guest Sir Psycho as we discuss a PS1 rarity and Team Ico's first game, Ico for PS2.

Introduction: 0:00:15
Suikoden II: 0:01:50
Ico: 0:49:44
Conclusion: 2:47:48

Music:
Opening/Closing theme by Atma Weapon - http://atmaweaponnc.bandcamp.com/

Shownotes:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/rfgenplaythroughs
Twitter - https://twitter.com/RFGPlaythroughs

Edited by Floyd (Fleach) and Jamie (techwizard)

Some of you may be wondering why Episode 6 does not cover Beyond Oasis and Muramasa: The Demon Blade, the playthrough games for August. Several months ago, the four of us had spoken and discussed catching up on the podcast in order to be able to release episodes closer to the end of the month. We had been trying to catch up for a while, but scheduling conflicts and finishing playthroughs early enough (sooooo many RPGs) had always prevented us from recording the show in a timely manner for quick release.  Due to lower than usual participation in August, we thought that this month might be a good time to skip a playthrough discussion and put more effort toward finishing the September playthrough games early. Please remember, if there are things you would like to discuss about the August titles, you can do so on their specific playthrough threads.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 01:40:15 PM by techwizard » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 11:25:41 AM »

Anyone, anyone, anyone???

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 11:52:40 AM »

I think my mic is frying.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 06:40:15 PM »

I think my mic is frying.

your mic was actually perfect when you didn't have a fan on, but wherever the fan was on I went and removed that...which unfortunately makes your voice sound worse, but it was better than with the fan. I think from now on we would probably say it's a requirement for guests to not record in the same room as a running fan or air conditioning unit if possible Tongue
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:47:42 PM »

Not possible with me for the near future. Did I forget to do noise canceling before uploading? Last time I did that and it seemed to come out fine, if a bit lower quality than the regulars.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:51:35 PM »

Not possible with me for the near future. Did I forget to do noise canceling before uploading? Last time I did that and it seemed to come out fine, if a bit lower quality than the regulars.

I don't think you did it this time, Floyd tried some and then I tried it again on the fan segments, but I didn't think it was really any worse than the first time...it might just sound worse because I only used it on the segments with the fan noise, I didn't do it all throughout. so the difference with and without it is probably more noticeable.

edit: not that it's a big deal, you add a lot to the discussion which is awesome. it would just be nice for everyone's mic to sound as good as possible if it's able to.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:54:57 PM by techwizard » Logged
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:54:53 PM »

I always do noise canceling throughout the entire file (when I remember), it keeps the audio level consistent so it doesn't sound like you're talking into a mic while rocking back and forth. That's what I did back when I made my videos.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 10:00:28 PM »

I listened to the show, but not having played either game I really don't have much to comment on. It can be tough for me to follow the conversation without the experience.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 04:57:08 AM »

I listened to the show, but not having played either game I really don't have much to comment on. It can be tough for me to follow the conversation without the experience.

Understandable. Thanks for trying. We were unclear in either segment when describing the games?

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 10:27:34 AM »

You sound so upbeat and...  bouncy during the intro, Rich.  Get your Starbuc*s on before recording?

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 10:30:32 AM »

You sound so upbeat and...  bouncy during the intro, Rich.  Get your Starbuc*s on before recording?

I'm just a happy guy I guess. Also, I prefer McDonald's coffee.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 02:59:52 PM »

I really like enjoyed the discussions.  I do wish I could have gotten a copy of Suikoden II for the playthrough, as Suikoden was my first positive RPG experience on the platform, so it would have been nice to continue see some of the characters again.  Alas, the price keeps me pretty far away from this game.  I should just watch a let's play or something.

About ICO, I did enjoy playing the game again, but I have to say it was more of a melancholy experience for me this time around.  I'm not sure why, but I was wishing the entire time that I could just skip the puzzles and combat and just see the sights again, as this was the reason the game was such a wonderful memory.  I think I might have played this game too much when I was younger.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 08:38:02 PM »

Understandable. Thanks for trying. We were unclear in either segment when describing the games?

Not unclear, but the discussion about the games don't seem linear and sometimes the things you're discussing aren't explained to me. It feels very "inside baseball", which makes a lot of sense for those that are familiar with the game.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 07:28:00 AM »

Not unclear, but the discussion about the games don't seem linear and sometimes the things you're discussing aren't explained to me. It feels very "inside baseball", which makes a lot of sense for those that are familiar with the game.

As always, we appreciate any feedback we get about our show and for the most part, we always try to take new ideas or suggestions into consideration to make our show better. You are correct, our show is "inside baseball" and that is the way it is intended; after all, it is called the "RFGeneration Community Playthrough Wrap-Up." In essence, this means that we are wrapping up our monthly playthroughs by discussing our experience with the games---the entirety of the games we play. Our audience is intended to be those who actually played the game(s) during the month, or for those who have played these games before. We want our audience to have in-depth gaming discussions on these games in terms of what they liked/disliked or things they through were interesting from a philosophical standpoint. We want to break apart and fully analyze games and that's why we often spend hours talking about each of them.

I disagree that our show isn't "linear." Sure we do not go through the entire game and talk about it scene by scene, but our conversation is outlined and organized. Our linear involves talking about different aspects of the game (controls, gameplay, characters, story, etc.) and we always finish a certain segment of discussion before moving onto the next. There is no jumping around in that sense.

I understand that we could probably increase our audience by not spoiling games or using other hand-holding techniques to explain things more clearly for those who didn't play the game, but that really defeats the purpose of our show. Plus, it would hamstring our discussions, like it did when we bounced around not talking about a portion of Chrono Trigger last month when we had a member not finish it. Again, I'm very appreciative of the advice, but I'm not interested in turning the show into something for non-participants or those who have never played the games we do.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 12:13:18 PM »

As always, we appreciate any feedback we get about our show and for the most part, we always try to take new ideas or suggestions into consideration to make our show better. You are correct, our show is "inside baseball" and that is the way it is intended; after all, it is called the "RFGeneration Community Playthrough Wrap-Up." In essence, this means that we are wrapping up our monthly playthroughs by discussing our experience with the games---the entirety of the games we play. Our audience is intended to be those who actually played the game(s) during the month, or for those who have played these games before. We want our audience to have in-depth gaming discussions on these games in terms of what they liked/disliked or things they through were interesting from a philosophical standpoint. We want to break apart and fully analyze games and that's why we often spend hours talking about each of them.

I disagree that our show isn't "linear." Sure we do not go through the entire game and talk about it scene by scene, but our conversation is outlined and organized. Our linear involves talking about different aspects of the game (controls, gameplay, characters, story, etc.) and we always finish a certain segment of discussion before moving onto the next. There is no jumping around in that sense.

I understand that we could probably increase our audience by not spoiling games or using other hand-holding techniques to explain things more clearly for those who didn't play the game, but that really defeats the purpose of our show. Plus, it would hamstring our discussions, like it did when we bounced around not talking about a portion of Chrono Trigger last month when we had a member not finish it. Again, I'm very appreciative of the advice, but I'm not interested in turning the show into something for non-participants or those who have never played the games we do.

tl;dr: every episode is a spoilercast, and if people who didn't play the games enjoy it then that's great but it's intended audience is those that played the games all the way through.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length