RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:18:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Retro Playthrough - February 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Retro Playthrough - February 2015  (Read 60257 times)
cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2015, 09:18:05 PM »

I finally got around to starting it up last night.  Got the master sword and the magic boomerang.

Ready for Checkpoint 2.  Probably gonna go explore a little more and pick up some more goodies.
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2015, 10:38:14 AM »

yeah I finally got the Master Sword last night as well. I ended up getting a lot of extra items not sure when your suppose to get them. Picked up the Flippers, and got the Ice Rod.

I found a few heart pieces as well. 

Now your playing with power!
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2015, 12:27:08 PM »

Beat it.

You can tell when developers give beyond 110% into creating a game. I'll wax poetic about it later, but this game goes past the point of excellence. It's so smart! It's so smart!!!!

I'm missing 8 1/4 heart pieces and.....

Spoiler (hover to show)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:30:51 PM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2015, 01:22:07 PM »

Just got the heart piece from the chest game in Outcast Village...on my second try! Woo-hoo!

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2015, 01:25:58 PM »

Spoiler (hover to show)

Spoiler (hover to show)

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2015, 02:34:38 PM »

Yes, Disposed. You're right about "the item to the right". I'll check out where you told me to search for the other thing, thanks!
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2015, 03:30:44 PM »

Just got the heart piece from the chest game in Outcast Village...on my second try! Woo-hoo!

...and on the digging game, not so lucky, but I got the heart piece and came out ahead, rupee wise.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2015, 06:01:33 PM »

Just got this on my Wii U a couple nights ago and played some last night for a little while, and then this morning for a bit after breakfast before going to work.  Not too far in yet, but I've got the first pendant already, so I feel pretty good about my progress so far, given my relative inexperience with LoZ games.  I got a hint from the old guy about a "useful item" in a cave to the east of the lake, so I went looking, but it looks like 2 rooms in and you are surrounded by blocks you can move, so not sure what that's all about, but I just barely got there before I had to quit and go to work, so I may have to go give that another look.  I'm enjoying it so far, though I must include myself in the camp that hates the low-health sound.  It is so grating.  Also, the music in that first pendant dungeon is WAY too short and super repetitive.  I don't like it at all.  Thankfully, the rest of the music thus far has been pretty good, including, of course, the iconic LoZ theme music, which I've always enjoyed despite not growing up as a "Zelda kid".  I'm having fun so far, and I felt like that first dungeon boss was manageable enough, since I beat it on the first try, so I feel good about my ability to progress through the game.  Just need to put in the time with it over the next couple weeks Smiley

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2015, 10:56:45 AM »

Found the last 2 items I was looking for as well as 2 more 1/4 heart pieces. So only 6 left, although I probably won't find them as I feel I've combed over every area pretty well. I know it's a huge task to find all of them....we'll see.

A small tip that I completely forgot about - You can talk to the trees that have eyes and spit bombs out at you. Half of them tell you to buzz off, but some have good info. Also, it's always a good idea to pay 20 rupees to hear "profitable story" from the NPCs. They always have valuable hints. 

@ Disposed Hero - You're right about the Star Wars music. Never noticed it before.

@MetalFRO - Fortunately as you progress and gain more heart containers, you'll have to deal with the low-health sound less and less. It never bothered me, but I can see what you mean. Also, you won't have to deal with that dungeon music for too long, it'll change. If you've passed the first dungeon, I'm pretty sure you have the tools to get that "useful item" which you DO need to beat the game (if we're talking about the same thing).

As for the music....there's a lot to be said about it. I would rate the general song composition as being good, but not great. The Lost Woods is the highlight in my opinion. However, I think the production is top-notch and probably the best of any video game at the time. The majestic trumpets on the title screen blew my doors off the first time I heard it.

Another small, small hint (early game) that people might not know about...
Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:00:37 AM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2015, 12:13:17 PM »

Somehow I must have not clicked on a thread update email and have been out of the loop. I've been catching up on reading posts and I'm happy to see everyone progressing well. This is a great game and well-deserving of your time. Enjoy!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2015, 01:11:23 PM »

Just got this on my Wii U a couple nights ago and played some last night for a little while, and then this morning for a bit after breakfast before going to work.  Not too far in yet, but I've got the first pendant already, so I feel pretty good about my progress so far, given my relative inexperience with LoZ games.  I got a hint from the old guy about a "useful item" in a cave to the east of the lake, so I went looking, but it looks like 2 rooms in and you are surrounded by blocks you can move, so not sure what that's all about, but I just barely got there before I had to quit and go to work, so I may have to go give that another look.  I'm enjoying it so far, though I must include myself in the camp that hates the low-health sound.  It is so grating.  Also, the music in that first pendant dungeon is WAY too short and super repetitive.  I don't like it at all.  Thankfully, the rest of the music thus far has been pretty good, including, of course, the iconic LoZ theme music, which I've always enjoyed despite not growing up as a "Zelda kid".  I'm having fun so far, and I felt like that first dungeon boss was manageable enough, since I beat it on the first try, so I feel good about my ability to progress through the game.  Just need to put in the time with it over the next couple weeks Smiley

that room you were in  with the blocks you can't move, you have to go outside the cave and to the left and place a bomb to get there to get the item.

Now your playing with power!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »

Yep, always be on the lookout for bomb-able walls. They are usually fairly obvious.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2015, 01:32:48 PM »

@ Disposed Hero - You're right about the Star Wars music. Never noticed it before.

I actually didn't notice it while playing LttP.  I just recently finished playing A Link Between Worlds, and the similarity was more obvious there, at least for me.

I also noticed another strong similarity between the ending theme in LttP and a theme from Final Fantasy.  I'm curious if anybody else heard it.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »

I didn't notice that one, I'll give it another listen.
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2015, 10:35:50 AM »

Yeah, Disposed. You have a great ear! The beginning notes are very very similar.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length