RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:34:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | January 2016 Community Playthrough - Super Mario Bros. 3/Super Mario World 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: January 2016 Community Playthrough - Super Mario Bros. 3/Super Mario World  (Read 31397 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 07:20:31 PM »

Nice stick Russ!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2016, 09:17:13 PM »

I love the raccoon tail and tanooki suit. I never noticed that he's all orange when flowered up. That's funny!

Is the thing that turns you into a statue still considered to be the rarest power-up in the Mario universe?

I actually think that the shoe is more rare than the Tanooki Suit.  How about adding me to the list of participants.  Grin

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 07:11:30 AM »

How about adding me to the list of participants.  Grin

You got it man! And a big congratulations and thank you for your service. Now we know what console you have hooked up!

Seriously, nice to finally have you aboard!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 08:43:34 AM »

I added russlyman to the list as well. Wow!  We have 16 participants. I think this is our most popular event to date.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 10:17:10 AM »

I'm in for 100% SMW.

I just beat SMB3 with a buddy about 2 months ago so I probably won't be playing it again. I also have a dark secret: I'm not a big fan of SMB3  ninja
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 04:55:08 PM »

Beat SMB3.  I recorded a playthrough of this game, but for some reason my capture screwed up, so I'm missing pretty much all of World 8.  I'm still going to upload it to our Youtube channel anyway.

Edit:  or maybe I'll just use a Game Genie to start at World 8, record it, and append it to the first video.  I'd much rather the video show the entire game, even if I have to cheat a bit to make it happen.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:00:31 PM by Disposed Hero » Logged

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 11:07:02 PM »

Well, I got to the mid castle in level 8.  I had super trouble with Level 8-1.  I found out for level 8-1 is to use Raccoon Mario to fly through a portion of the level. Level 8-2 has a nice shortcut to get to the end quickly.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2016, 08:18:16 AM »

It's a little corny, but I used to save all my P-Wing's for world 8 and just blow through it.
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 08:23:08 AM »

I finished last night after having left the console on from the night before. Played straight through and beat every level but one, not even a hard one, just one I skipped for a bit and forgot to go back to.

When I have more time I'll talk about it more, took some pictures too.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2016, 02:12:59 PM »

Glad to hear that everyone's enjoying themselves. I missed out on a lot of Mario games because I had a Genesis, and this plays very differently than the Sonic games I'm used to.

Rich and I talked a little bit about the game looking yellow-ish - like it had a filter on it. Looks fine to me. Anyone else noticing this?

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2016, 02:40:29 PM »

Glad to hear that everyone's enjoying themselves. I missed out on a lot of Mario games because I had a Genesis, and this plays very differently than the Sonic games I'm used to.

Rich and I talked a little bit about the game looking yellow-ish - like it had a filter on it. Looks fine to me. Anyone else noticing this?

Look at the first two games. Then pop in SMB3.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2016, 04:15:52 PM »

Emulator-wise, where these were captured, it's not as apparent, but take a look at the sprite and you'll notice the yellow tint. It's worse on newer televisions that have problems with progressive scan.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2016, 04:25:09 PM »

The colors are definitely less colorful and vibrant than they were in the earlier games. It seems that they choose to use more "earthtoned" and pastel colors for SMB3. They return to using brighter colors in SMW.

NeoMagicWarrior
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2016, 07:35:51 PM »

I also have a dark secret: I'm not a big fan of SMB3  ninja

I never really was before, and apparently still am not a fan either. Smb3 has too many "on rails" or slow scrolling areas. It slows the game down to a pace that isnt the one i usually play at.

I currently made it to halfway through world 3 before saying "screw it" for the night. I may or may not go back to it, although im totally looking forward to SMW.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

Always looking for more Xbox Live Friends!!!!
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2016, 11:09:54 PM »

I don't think putting up pics from an emulator is fair, as least not the time I saw it being played recently. A few weeks ago I was watching Twitch and someone was streaming SMB3, he was new to it and I walked him through some tricky parts and secrets. At one point early on I told him the colors didn't look right and he said he was using an emulator. Ah! An emulator! I was kinda bummed to find out that they aren't perfect. All those people without actual hardware are missing out on what it was actually like.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length