RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:01:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | April Community Playthrough - Ys Books I & II 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print
Author Topic: April Community Playthrough - Ys Books I & II  (Read 36102 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2016, 07:25:29 AM »

I just want to start out by saying that I really like the inventory and equipment system. Some games try to overcomplicate things, but in these games, there's not an overabundance of items or armor, which is kind of nice.  You tend to find items pretty often and it keeps the game fresh.

I also like how some of the items are linked into the story and you have to talk to NPCs to piece the story together. Unlike many RPGs, NPCs in this game are very helpful for the most part and since there aren't a ton of them, I never found having to talk to them taxing. I will say (and not sure if this is solely on the PSP version) that I do not care for how you begin conversations with NPCs by mere bumping into them. I know in early titles like Dragon Warrior, you have to run into them and press a button to start a convo. I often find myself running in towns and accidentally bumping into NPCs that I have to go through an entire conversation with, and this is quite annoying.  Other than that, I have very few gripes. I'm enjoying these games.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2016, 03:09:32 PM »

I just added some more detailed checkpoints so that we can start talking about the game before finishing Book I. Smiley

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2016, 07:15:39 AM »

Almost at checkpoint 3. I'm stopping to play some Quantum Break.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2016, 07:31:14 AM »

Almost at checkpoint 3. I'm stopping to play some Quantum Break.

Same here.  I'm in the village right before the Shrine.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2016, 08:20:16 AM »

Im loving this, but i dont know how to get in the tower yet, but level cap at lvl 10 sucks

Which version are you playing, douglie?  I'm playing the TurbografxCD port on the Wii and am currently at level 20 with no end in sight.  I was wondering about the differences between the ports and I think this might be another one.  Not sure if this makes a real difference, though, as levels could mean more in other versions.

I am playing the PSP Chronicles version.  I have finished the first book, and started the second.  I think after this is done I will have to bust out the Genesis Ys III Smiley I didnt think I would like them this much, I think its because when I first tried a Ys game it was after playing Phantasy Star II and I was used to the random battles, and didnt like the lack of choices you have in a Ys battle.  But after play many more RPGs of all types I can enjoy this for what it is.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2016, 09:44:25 AM »

I may be wrong, but isn't Ys III more of a platformer?

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2016, 03:24:47 PM »

I've been stalled out for a week now due to work getting out of hand (suddenly everyone wants seven pass DoD wipes).  Looking forward to getting back into the groove with Ys this weekend (and other games hopefully).

I may be wrong, but isn't Ys III more of a platformer?

Oddly enough, yes.  And the first Ys game I ever played, which seriously skewed the rest of the series for me.  While I did play Ys Book 1 on a Turbo CD, outside of the music I really didn't like the game that much.  I'd say it took me almost twenty years to really appreciate what it had to offer (outside of the music, that is).  I'm still not a huge fan of the "bash into everything" ARPG thing, but I really like the music, the art, and that wonderful 8-bit way the story stays out of the way of the gameplay.  I find this therapeutic in the game way I find smashing zombies in Dying Light therapeutic.  Sometimes it just feels great to turn my brain off and bash Adol into baddies for an hour.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2016, 03:36:15 PM »

I can't stop rocking out in the Palace of Destruction.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2016, 05:08:30 PM »

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
theGrue
Android Developer
Programmers

Stats
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2016, 09:37:25 PM »

END OF BOOK 1

I never want to hear the Darm Tower music again in my life.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2016, 10:42:55 AM »

END OF BOOK 1

I never want to hear the Darm Tower music again in my life.

I muted the music after awhile

theGrue
Android Developer
Programmers

Stats
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2016, 02:02:11 PM »

Checked out what the DS and PSP versions of this game were like, and I think I definitely made the right choice with the Virtual Console. So much talking and being in hospital beds! And on the DS, you need to push a button to swing? Way to take away the thing that makes the gameplay unique. The PSP does seem to have a way better script though, with a nice nod to Hall and Oates in the first scene.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2016, 03:14:48 PM »

I finished the game a few days ago.  I really enjoyed it, and I'm definitely looking forward to trying other games in the series now.

And I also got sick of the Darm Tower music.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2016, 10:32:41 PM »

I put a bunch of time into this the first few days in April, but kinda fell off after this last Tuesday.  I had a chance to sink some time in on Monday due to being stuck in a car for 3.5 hours riding to Des Moines on a business trip, and a little in the hotel that evening, but haven't had much time to go back to it yet.  I found one of the Roda trees, but not the other yet.  I'm playing via the PSP release.  The "overworld" music is awesome, with ripping guitars shredding all over the place.  My boss was driving, and even though I had the sound turned down somewhat, he jokingly said to me, "Doesn't the guy in that game get tired of playing guitar like that?"  I've leveled to either 10 or 11, and I have the Silver Armor, Silver Shield, and a Talwar, and coupled with my HP, I'm pretty much cutting through everything like butter.  Most sections right now are a little too "easy" at my current level.  I'm having fun overall, though.  I was shocked how hard it was to fight enemies and not lose all my HP until I leveled the first time, then I was practically mowing everything down.  It seems like each time you level, you get a really significant boost to strength and ability to fight, which is a bit jarring.  It's definitely more pronounced than any other JRPG I'm familiar with.

Checked out what the DS and PSP versions of this game were like, and I think I definitely made the right choice with the Virtual Console. So much talking and being in hospital beds! And on the DS, you need to push a button to swing? Way to take away the thing that makes the gameplay unique. The PSP does seem to have a way better script though, with a nice nod to Hall and Oates in the first scene.

I noticed that Hall & Oates reference, too!  I took a quick picture of it and tweeted that out, noting that any game that makes a H&O reference has to be awesome, and also wondering if anyone from Working Designs defected to XSEED, because that's the kind of cultural reference they often put in their translations.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2016, 11:17:25 PM »

Level 10 is the cap in the first game. The second one jacks it up to 30.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length