RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:50:29 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Pokemon GO Discussion Thread for Non-Haters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Pokemon GO Discussion Thread for Non-Haters  (Read 51275 times)
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 03:58:27 PM »

Nobody (possibly a ridiculous small percentage) born after 1985 is playing this, unless they have kids.

I've seen people of all ages playing.

Anyway, when the game launched there was nothing in downtown Austin for some reason, now it's rotten with Pokestops and Gyms. My wife works there and I'm jealous. Where I work there ain't shit.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 03:59:25 PM »

No, we don't have it in Canada yet. People are playing it here though, by either getting the mirrored illegal version, or changing their region settings. I am probably biased (I hate Pokemon) but I cant see many people, late 30's to early 40's, being on board for this

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 04:01:00 PM »

Just realized my original post was wrong: I meant people born BEFORE 1985

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 04:05:04 PM »

Dude, you're way off base. I'm thirty five and my wife is....well, older than that and we're having a blast. Never played a Pokemon game in my life. There's more to it than that. Read my original post, the fun part is getting out in the world.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 04:20:47 PM »

Yeahhhhhhh....so you don't have it there yet. Out your element there Donnie. Honestly even if I didn't have kids I would have tried this based on seeing it at E3. I think you'll be really surprised at how many people over 30 without kids are playing this when you finally get it.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
RobotWillie
Don't You Know Blackmail is Way Uncool
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 04:36:43 PM »

No, we don't have it in Canada yet. People are playing it here though, by either getting the mirrored illegal version, or changing their region settings. I am probably biased (I hate Pokemon) but I cant see many people, late 30's to early 40's, being on board for this

I can't stand Pokemon either. I was one of the only kids at my elementary school who didn't own any of the cards. (I'm 26, so I was in the thick of the craze)

My dad recently bought me a new smart phone for my birthday, before he gave it to me he downloaded the official Pokemon app to tease me. I got pissed that it was the first thing on my new phone and the first internet search term.

So, you can tell I really don't like it if my dad teases me with it.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 04:40:24 PM »

Y'all are killing me. Go start a "We hate Pokemon" thread.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 04:44:49 PM »

Y'all are killing me. Go start a "We hate Pokemon" thread.

+1 .  Thanks for coming here to throw some shade on stuff other people enjoy. But hey, I guess that's just what the Internet's for right? As I said, I never cared for Pokémon, but tried this and it's fun. Come back when you've actually played it and have something constructive to say. Better yet, do us a favor and don't come back to this thread.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 04:47:25 PM »

#TEAMVALOR

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 05:23:38 PM »

[img width=450 height=800]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/grayghost81/Screenshot_2016-07-13-17-16-37_zpsjfwpppu8.png[/img]

My home base here. The Pokestop on the right is a water tower that seems to always have a lure on it, even early in the morning.

The gym is at a nice little park that I didn't even know was there until I started playing. Looks like it's Valor now but it is highly contested. I've even seen it neutral.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 08:23:36 PM »

This right here is what the game is all about for me on a personal level.

A little over a week ago my wife and I were falling into quite a rut of slothiness. I even asked my wife a few times to go for walks and it simply wasn't happening.

Since the game has come out we're going venturing into the neighborhood up to three times a night. We usually hit our stops as soon as we get home from work, then after we finish dinner, then one last time before we go to sleep.

The weather in Austin has been beautiful lately. I have no qualms that it took a cell-phone game to get me off my butt and back into physical activity.

[img width=482 height=800]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/grayghost81/Snapchat-1308364877214785120_zpsd7dqsbap.jpg[/img]

We tried again, and failed again, to win a battle at the gym, but we're just not strong enough yet.

A little tip about that if you don't know, multiple people on the same team can enter a battle at once. Just set up your Pokemon, and make sure you hit "GO" at the same time. You'll all deal damage to the same opponent, but he or she will attack you and your crew simultaneously, so if they're a lot more powerful than you (as was the case tonight) you'll still get your butt whooped.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 10:14:31 PM »

My GPS goes crazy when I am inside but here is my neighborhood
There is another check in directly behind the red gym.
Also angle in between those two shots has another several check ins within walking distance  couple churches, library, post office and some local land marks.

Reds gym is at level 9 blues are only level 4. I went with blue team. Mystic? ARTICUNO!!

How do I select a Pokemon as my started for gym battles?

Edit

Oh yeah I almost forgot. With the help of some other Trainers we encountered on our trip I was able to get my son fully up and running. For some reason the he connected back to my phone's wifi by default instead of running off the data plan. Soon as we got that squared away and launched the game again Pidgie, Caterpie, and Zubat all popped up and were caught after a little struggle since he is still new to most firms of technology believe it or not.

* Screenshot_2016-07-13-23-09-18.png (663.35 KB, 800x1280 - viewed 241 times.)

* Screenshot_2016-07-13-23-08-25.png (707.65 KB, 800x1280 - viewed 237 times.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:24:12 PM by Izret101 » Logged

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 10:59:52 PM »

@Izret I'm sure you figured it out, but when you get to the gym, if it's your team hit the boxing glove icon to fight. If it's the opposing team's gym it'll be two Pokeballs. I think it defaults to whichever Pokemon is at the top of you list but you can change it simply by tapping on it.

Today was a ton of fun. Walked to a Pokestop near work early on a break and a random lady yelled at us "Don't mess with my gym!"

So at lunch time we made sure to at least try to f*ck up her gym lol. We lost overall but knocked it down a level.

After work my wife and I went to the gym, which was Blue when we got there. No sooner had we started deciding if we were going to fight or not, when the gym turned Red, and a car pulled up and a guy asks "Are you guys Red? I just took the gym and some slots are open. Jump in." Thus, I was in a gym for the first time. It was amazingly short lived however as minutes later another car pulled over and took it back for Blue.

Back out at home this evening the Pokestops on my block were lure city. I was out there for almost an hour. Had a Pikachu on my radar but never even got close.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 11:14:52 PM »

Did you know that you can start the game with a Pikachu? Basically when you start you have 3 choices of Pokemon. Ignore them and walk away without capturing one. You will walk on them again. Again walk away. Keep doing this and eventually a Pikachu will show up in the group for you to capture.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 07:04:27 AM »

Did you know that you can start the game with a Pikachu? Basically when you start you have 3 choices of Pokemon. Ignore them and walk away without capturing one. You will walk on them again. Again walk away. Keep doing this and eventually a Pikachu will show up in the group for you to capture.

Great tip for beginners. I found this out way too late.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length