RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:04:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Pokemon GO Discussion Thread for Non-Haters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Pokemon GO Discussion Thread for Non-Haters  (Read 50998 times)
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: July 12, 2016, 10:18:58 PM »

If you couldn't tell by your social media feeds the augmented-reality cell phone game developed by Niantic known as Pokemon GO has taken the world by storm since its release last week.

The game is played by walking around in real life hunting Pokemon who appear on the map which can caught in a mini-game in which they float around on whatever is seen through your phone's camera.

The game, quite frankly, is one of the most fun things I have ever played in my life.

As someone who enjoys the outdoors as well as video games, this is such a great blend of these two things. The best part for me is the social aspect. Not only is my wife playing and walking around with me, but I've actually met and made friends playing around my neighborhood.

Though the performance of the game has improved greatly since launch, it crashes a lot. I can only hope that performance will continue to improve.

So what say you RFGen? Are you playing Pokemon GO? What team are you on? What tips can you share? What's the rarest Pokemon you've caught? What's the coolest real life experience you've stumbled into while playing?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 07:21:57 AM by singlebanana » Logged

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 10:26:46 PM »

I see people walking around, doing this in front of my house. Mostly on the other side of the street but they are definitely playing it. Best meme I've seen so far on it was something along the lines of, "It's raining, so I can't go outside and play video games"

PC Gamer put up a video on how you can play it from your PC without leaving your house:

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 10:32:03 PM »

I was going to start a thread like this lol

I ran into some trouble tonight i was going to use the tablet and phone i bought and use my WP as a hotspot. I'm guessing that it can't handle the load so it wasn't allowing them to connect.
Additionally the phone never seemed to find GPS which i am hoping was a fluke.

I'm about 3/4 of the way thru level 4 so no team yet. Will end up on Moltres or Articuno tho. Leaning towards Articuno as it was my preference in the games.

Strongest is an Oddish at 110.

Caught:
Rattatta
Oddish
Shelder
Zubat
Pidgeotto
Krabby
Paras
Raticate
Pidgey
Weedle (evolved to Kakuna)

Started with Charmander.(Always my starter in the games.)

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 10:36:59 PM »

@nupoile Talk about defeating the purpose!

Supposedly San Francisco is a great place to play it too, as the developer is located there and it is apparently rich with Pokestops and Gyms.

@Izret Definitely go Moltres (Team Valor in this game), matches the site's color scheme!

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »

@nupoile Talk about defeating the purpose!

Supposedly San Francisco is a great place to play it too, as the developer is located there and it is apparently rich with Pokestops and Gyms.

@Izret Definitely go Moltres (Team Valor in this game), matches the site's color scheme!

Hmm... Pokemon Go with PC, or not at all? I may try the PC method, just to participate with co-workers.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 11:24:47 PM »

I'm guessing you went Moltres Tongue

Also saw this.
Fact?
https://pbs.twimg.com/med...CnGOYHBW8AAGGG3.jpg:large

EDIT
Meh image not working. Too tired to care. I tried it anyways.
Downloaded the whole north east more or less lol

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 01:33:13 AM »

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 09:40:26 PM by tactical_nuke » Logged
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 06:24:13 AM »

I'm guessing you went Moltres Tongue

Yes, and I don't want to spoil anyone else's choice but I'm not the only one.

I have seen this from multiple sources but have yet to try it myself. Should be legit.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 08:22:59 AM »

I know that many of you are probably familiar with my disdain for all things Pokémon (too old when it came out, wrong time in my life, annoyed by super fanboys, etc.). However, if you listened to our E3 podcast, you probably heard me express some genuine interest and well yeah, even excitement, about the release of Pokémon GO.  I never saw myself purchasing the app, but when I heard it was free, I thought, "Why not?"  Well, I'm pretty hooked....up to the point where I walked 10 miles yesterday playing it on work breaks, my lunch break, and around my neighborhood last night with the kids.  The funny thing is that my boss plays it and collects Pokémon and balls for her kids to play at night, and my place of employment is a PokeStop!!  I work close to downtown in a fairly big city, so there is a great deal of activity during the day in regards to the game.  My house is out in the country so no Pokestops or gyms, but lots of space to walk and find critters.  My kids absolutely love it and we had a blast last night running around the neighborhood and hunting together.

Like Shawn, I think the game has some great positives such as the social aspect, the exercise, getting outdoors, and for me, spending time doing something fun with my kids.

And oh yeah. VALOR beeyotches!!! 

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 01:03:53 PM »

I am 10 XP shy of level 5. When get home tonight I guess I get to decode where I am siding.

Also got my sons phone activated. When I changed my plan to add him I was given 2 android phones. So now I have 3 android phones and a tablet... Not at all excessive. Plus side back up for inevitable breaking and with a sim swap that means back up batteries lol

Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 02:50:58 PM »

I've been playing since the first day or two.  It's been great going around my small town and catching things.  I showed my wife who likes to walk around and has her FitBit so she downloaded it and is now more into it than I am.  Of course my 17 year old daughter saw it and thought it was dumb....until she tried it.  Now we are all 3 walking around looking for Pokemon and trying to keep the Keystone Heights Library Gym for Team Valor!!!  (At least me and my wife are, my kid chose Team Mystic)  Having a great time with this game and really enjoying seeing people out and starting hunting groups with people they would have never otherwise met.  We went to the Atlantic side of Florida yesterday and caught all the MagiKarp I could want.  Even caught a Dratini!  I hope this momentum can sustain itself. 
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 03:44:13 PM »

I am a Gen X'er, and I don't have kids. 'Nuff said.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 03:47:37 PM »

I am a Gen X'er, and I don't have kids. 'Nuff said.

Not really, I can't tell if that means you're playing or not.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »

Nobody (possibly a ridiculous small percentage) born before 1985 is playing this, unless they have kids.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 04:03:53 PM by EngineerMike » Logged

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »

Nobody (ridiculous small percentage) born after 1985 is playing this, unless they have kids.

I don't think that's true at all from what I've seen. Do you even have it yet in Canada?

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length