RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:05:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | December 2018 RF Generation Open Golf Tournament!!! 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: December 2018 RF Generation Open Golf Tournament!!!  (Read 48467 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: June 05, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »

As followers of the Playcast and loyal members of our site playthroughs know, December is a fun month on the site where we typically play a few titles and compete against each other for high scores or fastest times.  In the spirit of this competition, the Playcast has decided to host a video gaming golf tournament in December of 2018.  

But wait a minute Banana, December is still 6 months away!  Why the early notice? Well Timmy, this year is going to be a little different in terms of competing for high scores (well...low scores, this is golf after all).  December 2018's competition will be a team event!  Participants will be placed on a team with 3-4 other members where you and your teammates will vie for the overall lowest total score during the month. Teams will be randomly drawn in early November and play will of course begin on December 1st.  We will dedicate 10 days to each of the three games and determine the winner by the lowest overall team score.  There will be NO Battle Royale days this year. And yes, each member of the winning team will get a prize!

In an effort to let participants sign up and get in the most practice time possible, we are engaging with site members now.  We are also interested in putting together a list of three titles to play across retro and modern consoles, so put in your suggestions now! With your suggestions keep in mind that you should try to pick games for systems that the majority of our members would own and the games should be on the cheaper side. As usual, we would like to keep the total game cost under $30 if possible (maybe even lower).  Once we have a good list of games, we can put them to a vote.

GET READY TO SWING AWAY!

GAMES CHOSEN
Hot Shots Golf Fore! (PS2)
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Neo Turf Masters (Neo Geo & Wii/PS2/PSP via SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 & Switch e-Shop)

PARTICIPANTS:
singlebanana
GrayGhost81
bickman2K
NeoMagicWarrior
Crabmaster2000
MetalFRO
Wempster
douglie007
Fokakis79
zophar53
BuriedOnMars

RULES:
1. One starting course for each game will be selected prior to December 1st.
2. Each course will be played for 10 days.
3. The team with the lowest overall score WINS!
4. The use of any save states or devices that improve your game are prohibited. If you are unsure of what is prohibited, just ask.
5. Scores must be submitted to the thread via photograph.
6. Scores must only be submitted for the game being played during its 10 day run starting at midnight on the first day of the game and ending at midnight on the last day of the game. Late or early scores will not be accepted.
7. You can play a course as many times as you want during the allotted 10 day period and submit your lowest score.
8. Have fun, offer advice to and cheer on your teammates!

Prizes - Yep, I'm at it again and just picked up an item today in hopes of fabricating some prizes.  This year, each member of the winning team will get a prize to display in their game room/gaming area, and I will also give out a special prize to the participant with the overall lowest score for the month.

Team Selection - As a means of keeping it interesting (in terms of s#$t talking), Shawn and I have decided to captain opposing teams, and we have invited bickman2k to captain a third, since he was the Punch-out champion from last year.  This means that after the 23rd, I will draw names (videoed of course) and place each participant on a team.  So far we have 10 people signed up, so if these numbers hold, there will be two teams of 3 and one team of 4.  In this instance, what will happen is that the third place score from the team of four will be dropped at the end of the month. Here's an example:

Let's say that myself, Fokakis, FRO, and Crabby are on the 4 person team.  Crabby's overall score is a -14, Fokakis is -10, FRO is -9, and I (banana) am at -6.  FRO's score would be dropped for an overall team score of -30.  Don't worry, if you are on the four person team and your team wins, you will still receive the team prize. Smiley

If other people join before the 23rd, then we will adjust accordingly, but I would like for teams to be comprised of at least 3-4 members.

**Rules subject to change prior to December 1st**

9 IRONSWORD: METAL CRABS & MAGIC WARRIORS
bickman2k (Cpt.)
crabmaster2000
neomagicwarrior
MetalFRO

THE FORE COURSEMEN OF THE AGOLFOLYPSE
singlebanana (Cpt.)
BuriedOnMars
Wempster
zophar53

TRES ACES
GrayGhost81 (Cpt.)
Fokakis79
douglie007

COURSE SELECTIONS & REQUIRED SETTINGS
Neo Turf Masters - Australian course, Difficulty = Normal, Stroke Play - December 1st - December 10th.

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour - Lakitu Valley course, Difficulty = Normal, 1 Player, Stroke Play, no Mulligans, Back tee box play, character selection limited to default toons, Mario through Bowser - December 11th - December 20th

Hot Shots Golf Fore! - Northern Fox C.C. course, Single Play, Tournament, character selection limited to default toons, standard club & standard ball (no easy club as it eliminates the 3 button press swing)  - December 21st - December 30th

STANDINGS

Neo Turf Masters:
Crabmaster2000.   -15
singlebanana         -13
Neomagicwarrior    -12
douglie007             -11
bickman2k             -10
BuriedonMars           -8
Fokakis79                -7
MetalFRO                 -6
GrayGhost81            -5
Wempster                -2

9 IRONSWORD: METAL CRABS & MAGIC WARRIORS   -33
THE FORE COURSEMEN OF THE AGOLFOLYPSE           -23
TRES ACES                                                              -23

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour:
Crabmaster2000       -15
BuriedOnMars            -13
bickman2k                -12
douglie007                -12
singlebanana            -10
Wempster                  -10
MetalFRO                   -6
Fokakis79                 -5
NeoMagicWarrior        -3
GrayGhost81              -2

THE FORE COURSEMEN OF THE AGOLFOLYPSE           -33
9 IRONSWORD: METAL CRABS & MAGIC WARRIORS   -30
TRES ACES                                                              -19

Hot Shots Golf Fore!:
bickman2k                 -11
crabmaster2000           -8
singlebanana                -7
douglie007                   -3
GrayGhost81              +11
BuriedOnMars             +13
Fokakis79                   +13

OVERALL TEAM STANDINGS
9 IRONSWORD: METAL CRABS & MAGIC WARRIORS   -63
THE FORE COURSEMEN OF THE AGOLFOLYPSE           -56
TRES ACES                                                              -42

OVERALL INDIVIDUAL STANDINGS
Crabmaster2000   -30
douglie007             -23
singlebanana         -23
bickman2k             -22
BuriedonMars           -21
Neomagicwarrior    -15
Fokakis79                -12
MetalFRO                 -12
Wempster                -12
GrayGhost81            -7

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 11:00:07 AM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 09:46:50 AM »

First off, I'm in.

I think Wii Sports with the motion controls would throw a nice wrench in to things and could really shake up some results. Or even Wii Sports Resort golf so you could use the Wii Motion Plus.

Toadstool Tour is my favorite Mario Golf game, so I'm all about playing that one. I think I still have my old save with everything unlocked.

I also had a ton of fun with CyberTiger on the N64, but I'm going to guess it's not one that a lot of people own. Probably pretty cheap, but I'd rather play Toadstool Tour than CyberTiger as well.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 10:26:37 AM »

Surprisingly, Toadstool Tour is around $10-$12 and would be a cheaper Mario title if people were interested in going that route. CyberTiger goes from $8-$12 it seems for N64, but the game sellers for about half that price on the PS1.  I think any of these titles would work. I don't expect that people would own all of these titles, but keeping all three games under budget and with the competition beginning in December, I don't see much of an issue.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
NeoMagicWarrior
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 12:38:01 PM »

I'm totally in.

Neo turf masters is out on practically everything (switch is the newest at 9$).

The PGA golf games for Genesis were also pretty spectacular.

We could also try one of the myriad of mini golf games out there.

Always looking for more Xbox Live Friends!!!!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 01:02:48 PM »

I'm totally in.

Neo turf masters is out on practically everything (switch is the newest at 9$).

The PGA golf games for Genesis were also pretty spectacular.

We could also try one of the myriad of mini golf games out there.

Love Turf Masters, but I will have to look more into the availability and cost. I know it's part of some collections, but looking into those I found that they were $20-$25 a pop....  However, I love this game, GrayGhost loves this game, and if there is enough interest from everyone, we can make it happen.

Yeah.....no mini golf
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 03:02:52 PM by singlebanana » Logged

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 01:36:46 AM »

I'm so up for this. It sounds like a blast. If Kirby's Dream Course counts that would get my vote. One of my favorite golf type games.

Lots of great suggestions so far and the only one I havn't personally played so far is Cyber Tiger so where ever we end up I think I'll be happy. Should probably add just a good old Tiger Woods games to the list also. Very affordable, cross platform availability and pretty decent golf sims too.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 10:08:41 AM »

As much positive stuff as I've heard about Neo Turf Masters, and given its appearance on a ton of compilations at this point, I'd say that almost seems like a no-brainer. I should probably check out Toadstool Tour, because I suspect it would be utterly charming.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 10:52:21 AM »

As much positive stuff as I've heard about Neo Turf Masters, and given its appearance on a ton of compilations at this point, I'd say that almost seems like a no-brainer. I should probably check out Toadstool Tour, because I suspect it would be utterly charming.

So you in FRO? You don't have to answer, I already put you down. Looks like we have at least two groups of three so far.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »

If anyone else knows that they will be interested in participating in this tournament in December, let me know.  I plan on narrowing a game list down soon with participants and determining what our three games are by early July.  Thanks!

Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 06:27:55 PM »

I'll throw my clubs on the green, why not.  I live the idea of Kirbys dream course, but can I suggest a less than $5 game? Outlaw Golf.  Fun to play and ridiculous in its premise.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 06:32:46 PM »

I'll throw my clubs on the green, why not.  I live the idea of Kirbys dream course, but can I suggest a less than $5 game? Outlaw Golf.  Fun to play and ridiculous in its premise.

Awesome man! I'll sign you in at the RFG Club House. Unfortunately, we are in the process of voting right now on most of the games that we already recommended. We should have our three games picked by next week, so follow this thread and stay tuned so that you can practice before December.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 11:41:40 AM »

Game picks are in and listed in the initial post.  Team draws and course selections for each game to be announced in November, so start practicing!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 01:40:40 PM »

Okay, so I need to track down Toadstool Tour, and check my SNK compilations, and see if I have Neo Turf Masters already. If not, to the Switch eShop!

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 07:06:49 PM »

Time to fire up my NEO GEO

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 07:18:54 PM »

Time to fire up my NEO GEO

Also just added to the Switch

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length