RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:46:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July 2018 Playthrough - DOOM (2016) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: July 2018 Playthrough - DOOM (2016)  (Read 17487 times)
zophar53
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2018, 08:33:32 PM »

Congrats man! I'm about halfway through; this higher difficulty is kind of kicking my butt lol. But I'm getting there, slowly but surely. You're def right though, that last level is pretty insane with the sheer amount of enemies they throw at you. Were you playing in heldheld mode or on a TV? I bought the Switch version but I haven't spent much time with it. It's pretty impressive that they were able to make such a huge game work on that thing, especially while keeping it looking decent.

Also, fun fact, the guy that did the music for Doom also did the music for the new Wolfenstein games.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2018, 08:38:14 AM »

I played DOOM exclusively docked. I appreciate that I could have played it handheld, but honestly, as insane and fast action as the game is, I'm not sure the Joy-Con sticks would have been the best thing to play with. That said, I'm sure plenty of people have.

Effinae
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2018, 09:37:04 AM »

I'll be joining as well!  I'm a bit late to the party (busy summer), but I shouldn't have any problem finishing the game in the next few days.  I bought the collector's edition of the game when it first released, but didn't play too far at that time before it went to my backlog. 

Last night I made it through the first encounter with Barons of Hell before stopping for the night.  I haven't seen anyone discuss this yet, but attached to the platform that you fight the Barons on, there is a small dark cave.  Inside there is a hidden lever (still not sure what pulling it did) and also the iconic Skyrim helmet sitting on a rock.  Neat little easter egg.

Absolutely loving the game!  Playing "Hurt Me Plenty" difficulty on the PC version - game is great to look at.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2018, 10:11:03 AM »

Apparently, there are some hidden levers on each stage that unlock some of the original game maps. Perhaps this was one of them?

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
zophar53
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2018, 12:17:24 PM »

That definitely was one of those Smiley  Not gonna spoil the location for you though, you'll have to look around that area to find the old Doom room it opened up. Nice job finding it. Some of those levers blend in pretty well and are hard to spot.

Effinae
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2018, 03:12:47 PM »

I did quit after the autosave for that area where I found the lever.  And the first thought I had was that it maybe unlocked an original Doom level, because I knew that was a thing within the game.  I'll have to look around a bit more when I get back in.

Another item I found was a little Doom Guy doll in the same map. 
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2018, 03:56:29 PM »

Do those classic levels play out as single experiences in the game, or do you get transported to them when you discover the lever? I saw that you could find them, but never located any to unlock during my play through.

zophar53
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2018, 06:37:46 PM »

They're not separate full levels. The levers just open a door/wall within the level that leads to a room that mirrors a room in classic Doom. There's one in each level, nothing super complex, but they're a fun trip down memory lane.

The bobbleheads are neat too. They unlock 3D character models you can look at and rotate around from the menu screen.

Effinae
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2018, 08:38:47 AM »

They're not separate full levels. The levers just open a door/wall within the level that leads to a room that mirrors a room in classic Doom. There's one in each level, nothing super complex, but they're a fun trip down memory lane.

The bobbleheads are neat too. They unlock 3D character models you can look at and rotate around from the menu screen.

After finding a few of them last night I read the in game codex info on them.  It sounds like you can start a new game slot and choose classic Doom levels.  I believe you get to play through the whole classic map. 
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2018, 10:20:00 AM »

After finding a few of them last night I read the in game codex info on them.  It sounds like you can start a new game slot and choose classic Doom levels.  I believe you get to play through the whole classic map. 

Nice!  What an awesome addition to a very cool game.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
zophar53
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »

If that's the case that'd be awesome! That's not a feature I'd heard of.

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2018, 12:36:02 PM »

I haven't had a ton of time to play this one this month. I'm around 75% through my 2nd playthrough.

DOOM quickly became one of my favourite games every after I first played it in 2016. I love how streamlined it is. No reloading, no cover, just constant movement, fun weapons and the most satisfying strafing. The Cyberdemon is one of the best boss fights from any game. The first time I saw him I emptied by BFG into him in the first phase... not realizing there was a second phase. That second phase, and all the movement it requires, is so good though.

On my current playthrough I've been trying to gather all the collectibles. I've got some mixed thoughts on that. I like to clear out the level then go back and find everything, which works at first. But in later levels you often get cut off from the beginning of the levels and its not always obvious when that is happening. I've had to restart levels a number of times because I was unable to go back to get a collectible. That's no fun. It's definitely better to play 'in the moment' than worry about finding everything.

I also just got my shipping notification for the new double vinyl of the soundtrack Smiley
zophar53
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2018, 10:26:06 PM »

My final thoughts (which were expressed more professionally on the playcast): THIS GAME IS F**KING RAD!!! Lol

Effinae
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2018, 10:54:26 PM »

I just finished it  grrr.  As someone who used to play the shareware Knee-Deep in the Dead campaign over and over again in my younger years, this game did the Doom name justice!  To sum it up with one word - relentless.

To add to the Classic level discussion:
You do get to choose them from the same campaign profile in which you unlocked them.  I only played one of the Doom 2 levels.  I chose it because I remembered it being one of the easier ones...it was not easy.  You start with only a pistol and none of your skills follow you. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length