RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:01:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Introduce yourself please 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 100 Print
Author Topic: Introduce yourself please  (Read 407718 times)
polykill_trav
Tiger Gizmondo

WWW Stats
« Reply #1425 on: April 03, 2019, 07:55:26 AM »

Hello. I'm Travis (@travplaysgames). I co-host the Polykill Podcast and have a NES dedicated YouTube channel called NESfriend. (youtube.com/nesfriend)

I've been aware of RFGen for a while but digging in more and more now and trying to embrace the community some. Cheers!

/s
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1426 on: April 03, 2019, 08:32:38 AM »

Hey, new to the site! You can just call me Hiro.

I'm a big SHMUP fan and am here by way of stumbling upon the Shoot the Core podcast. Despite loving the genre I find I have a hard time keeping up with playing because there's no drive there beyond dabbling now and again. I find I'll play SHMUPs in short bursts then not touch any for months. None of my local friends are into STG type games and I've not had much success turning any of them onto such games. A club that focuses on a game each month seemed like a good way to stop making excuses and indulge that interest more.

Been playing since I was pretty young starting with the NES. My favorite genres are probably RPG's (I love a good story and particularly games with mechanics that allow interesting strategies) and arcade-y type games (particularly SHMUPs and fighting games).

Fun story with my username. Growing up I was lucky to have a Sega CD. I became enamored with the game Lunar and particularly its sequel Lunar 2 Eternal Blue whose protagonist is named Hiro. Around the time of the PS2, with a friend I really started to delve deep into all the RPG's I had missed out on from the NES era. In so many of those games, you needed a very short usually four or five letter name for your character. Hiro was the first thing that came to mind that could always make it under the limit. After using it so much, it became my default name if a game asked for one and didn't have some canon name for the main character. Not sure that I could stop using it at this point.

Hey Hiro!! Great game to take a name from. Lunar 2 still stands as one of my favorites.

Hello. I'm Travis (@travplaysgames). I co-host the Polykill Podcast and have a NES dedicated YouTube channel called NESfriend. (youtube.com/nesfriend)

I've been aware of RFGen for a while but digging in more and more now and trying to embrace the community some. Cheers!

Just checked out a couple of your videos and subbed. I like what you've got going on.  We are doing a little challenge here this year as a community to beat every north american licensed NES game in 2019. Check out the thread and help us take down a few games!

http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=18893.0

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #1427 on: April 03, 2019, 09:24:58 AM »

Hey, new to the site! You can just call me Hiro.

I'm a big SHMUP fan and am here by way of stumbling upon the Shoot the Core podcast. Despite loving the genre I find I have a hard time keeping up with playing because there's no drive there beyond dabbling now and again. I find I'll play SHMUPs in short bursts then not touch any for months. None of my local friends are into STG type games and I've not had much success turning any of them onto such games. A club that focuses on a game each month seemed like a good way to stop making excuses and indulge that interest more.

Been playing since I was pretty young starting with the NES. My favorite genres are probably RPG's (I love a good story and particularly games with mechanics that allow interesting strategies) and arcade-y type games (particularly SHMUPs and fighting games).

Fun story with my username. Growing up I was lucky to have a Sega CD. I became enamored with the game Lunar and particularly its sequel Lunar 2 Eternal Blue whose protagonist is named Hiro. Around the time of the PS2, with a friend I really started to delve deep into all the RPG's I had missed out on from the NES era. In so many of those games, you needed a very short usually four or five letter name for your character. Hiro was the first thing that came to mind that could always make it under the limit. After using it so much, it became my default name if a game asked for one and didn't have some canon name for the main character. Not sure that I could stop using it at this point.

Welcome, Hiro! So glad you found the site via Shoot the Core-cast! We would definitely love to have you participating in the Shmup Club. It's a great way to dabble in a shooter here and there, find what you like, and put some time into it, without having to dedicate too much time to any one game. Plus, we try to mix it up, and keep things fresh, by changing the type of shooter we play from month to month, so things don't get stale. Hopefully, we'll see you participate with us soon Cheesy

Also, Lunar 2 is great! I don't have experience with the Sega CD original, but after playing through the PlayStation remake of the original game, I got Lunar 2 as a birthday gift, and over the next month or so, I devoured it. I played through it again a few years ago, and it's still a great game.

Welcome to the site! As Crabmaster2000 said, you should definitely think about jumping into the NES Challenge, and take down a few games with us. I'll check out your channel as well Smiley

HiroTsukasa
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #1428 on: April 03, 2019, 07:59:37 PM »

Welcome to RFG, Hiro. We're all a friendly bunch here, so feel free to hop into the forums!

Thanks! Beyond gaming, I'm a huge manga/anime fan as well. Golgo 13 is a true classic.

I started using "Aran" for practically every game name  for similar reasons. Now I switch between Aran and Raidou.

Nice, glad to know I'm not the only one who does that.

Hey Hiro!! Great game to take a name from. Lunar 2 still stands as one of my favorites.

Thanks for the welcome! And I agree, Lunar 2 is one I have to revisit quite often. Just wish it could have endured on as a franchise. Between it and Suikoden I have a bad habit of falling in love with RPG series that taper off into nothing.

Welcome, Hiro! So glad you found the site via Shoot the Core-cast! We would definitely love to have you participating in the Shmup Club. It's a great way to dabble in a shooter here and there, find what you like, and put some time into it, without having to dedicate too much time to any one game. Plus, we try to mix it up, and keep things fresh, by changing the type of shooter we play from month to month, so things don't get stale. Hopefully, we'll see you participate with us soon Cheesy

Also, Lunar 2 is great! I don't have experience with the Sega CD original, but after playing through the PlayStation remake of the original game, I got Lunar 2 as a birthday gift, and over the next month or so, I devoured it. I played through it again a few years ago, and it's still a great game.

Thanks, I'll be sure to pop over to the latest SHMUP Club thread when I get a chance. While I have a lot of nostalgia for the Sega CD just from growing up with it, you're not missing much. I think overall the PSX remakes for both Lunar games were improvements across the board. I was blown away the first time I played each one being able to compare back.
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1429 on: June 24, 2019, 03:24:16 PM »

About a year ago, I joined RFGen, but didn't find this page until much later. Being around the 1 year anniversary of my signup, thought it would be a good time to share some info.

From 2015 to 2018 I helped manage a small chain of mom and pop retro game stores in the midwest. One of our regular customers was MetalFro, who would talk about having his whole collection on the database. I also enjoy shmups (although I'm not good at them) and when he told me about starting the shmup club on the site I was sold.

I'm more a collect to play type, concentrating my collection more on things I want to try rather than games I have no interest in, and the meat of my collection is NES/SNES.

My collecting started in the late 90's, acquiring titles here and there, but with the ultimate goal of 5 games: Dragon Warrior I-IV (thanks for reeling me in Nintendo Power), and Tengen Tetris (which I rented as a kid, and always felt like the better Tetris to me, didn't realize why I couldn't ever find it until I was an adult).

Obvious from the name, I love racing games, and my favorite is F-Zero for SNES. I've done some amateur speed-running of it. Non-racing favorites include Super Metroid, the NES Ninja Gaidens, and Tecmo Super Bowl. But really there are hundreds more I could list that I enjoy thoroughly.

I've loved the shmup club, and have also gotten a lot out of the NES challenge, because I had started to create quite a backlog that I needed an excuse to dive into. Thanks for a great year and looking forward to more.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1430 on: June 25, 2019, 08:14:58 AM »

Cool to get to know you a bit more. Didn't realize you know MetalFRO, that's awesome! Also working retro stores can be a lot of fun.

What is it about F-Zero (SNES) that you love so much? I don't dislike it at all I just felt like every entry in the series got better and better though just making the original the weakest in the series in my mind.

Really happy to have you participating in the NES Challenge thread. You've been a huge asset for us for sure. Hope to see you around posting for years to come!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1431 on: June 25, 2019, 09:22:35 AM »

About a year ago, I joined RFGen, but didn't find this page until much later. Being around the 1 year anniversary of my signup, thought it would be a good time to share some info.

From 2015 to 2018 I helped manage a small chain of mom and pop retro game stores in the midwest. One of our regular customers was MetalFro, who would talk about having his whole collection on the database. I also enjoy shmups (although I'm not good at them) and when he told me about starting the shmup club on the site I was sold.

I'm more a collect to play type, concentrating my collection more on things I want to try rather than games I have no interest in, and the meat of my collection is NES/SNES.

My collecting started in the late 90's, acquiring titles here and there, but with the ultimate goal of 5 games: Dragon Warrior I-IV (thanks for reeling me in Nintendo Power), and Tengen Tetris (which I rented as a kid, and always felt like the better Tetris to me, didn't realize why I couldn't ever find it until I was an adult).

Obvious from the name, I love racing games, and my favorite is F-Zero for SNES. I've done some amateur speed-running of it. Non-racing favorites include Super Metroid, the NES Ninja Gaidens, and Tecmo Super Bowl. But really there are hundreds more I could list that I enjoy thoroughly.

I've loved the shmup club, and have also gotten a lot out of the NES challenge, because I had started to create quite a backlog that I needed an excuse to dive into. Thanks for a great year and looking forward to more.

You didn't happen to work at a Game Cycle, did you?

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1432 on: June 25, 2019, 12:54:51 PM »

You didn't happen to work at a Game Cycle, did you?

So, either you are familiar with the stores, or I met you as well at some point?
calebjross
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #1433 on: July 28, 2019, 02:31:11 PM »

Hello. My name is Caleb. I'm a long-time game player, a seldom collector (good for the collectors here, then. More for you), a sometimes youtuber, a once-was author, and now an RFGeneration forum poster. Finally. I've been stopping by and taking in the fun every once-in-a-while over the years, but never set up an account. Until now. Why? No idea. Just got to thinking that I should contribute a few thoughts when I have them.

I love retro and modern games alike. Favorite game of all time is Red Dead Redemption 2, BUT (before you hate me) my previous favorite of all time was Super Metroid. Super Metroid survived a couple of decades of contenders, so that has to say something both about my respect for the game and about how great RDR2 is (it's pretty great).

I recently re-played Jak and Daxter. Perhaps that's what got me thinking about games from my youth (psuedo-youth; the game came out originally when I was in college), and therefore perhaps how I ended up here.

Also, I'm a long-time member of the Cartridge Club. I believe there's some Venn diagram style overlap between this and that community.

Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #1434 on: July 28, 2019, 04:26:44 PM »

Hello. My name is Caleb. I'm a long-time game player, a seldom collector (good for the collectors here, then. More for you), a sometimes youtuber, a once-was author, and now an RFGeneration forum poster. Finally. I've been stopping by and taking in the fun every once-in-a-while over the years, but never set up an account. Until now. Why? No idea. Just got to thinking that I should contribute a few thoughts when I have them.

I love retro and modern games alike. Favorite game of all time is Red Dead Redemption 2, BUT (before you hate me) my previous favorite of all time was Super Metroid. Super Metroid survived a couple of decades of contenders, so that has to say something both about my respect for the game and about how great RDR2 is (it's pretty great).

I recently re-played Jak and Daxter. Perhaps that's what got me thinking about games from my youth (psuedo-youth; the game came out originally when I was in college), and therefore perhaps how I ended up here.

Also, I'm a long-time member of the Cartridge Club. I believe there's some Venn diagram style overlap between this and that community.

Welcome!

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

RobotWillie
Don't You Know Blackmail is Way Uncool
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1435 on: July 28, 2019, 09:53:45 PM »

Actually the first RDR is my favorite game so.......

I ain't even played 2 yet either, I wait to see if there is a version with all the DLC pretty much always, even when its the sequel to my favorite game I guess lol. I am starting to acquire retro stuff and loved playing the first Final Fantasy recently, it is an all time fav now (although its the PS1 version, but I do have a PS1 now). But yes 99% of my stuff is from the last 15 years. I am mostly focusing on Sony stuff right now. Just to have a focus to put my money on. It doesn't mean I don't want Nintendo or Sega or Xbox... etc.

And I didn't play Jak and Daxter until I was.... like 22 when the HD Collection came out and I loved it (also the soundtrack, which was made by a main Devo bandmember who I am a fan of, funny enough). It is also one of my all time favs. I do like it more than 2 and 3 but I loved those too. So, you seem to have a little in common with me albeit you are at least 10 years older or more it sounds, I am 29.

But yes uh...... Hearing that from you I may need to get it sooner now. It is a rule I have, the way they come up with Game of the Year Editions these days I always wait for that, unless its clear there won't be one (although sometimes games you don't expect get one, so I wait years sometimes until the game is like 15-20$ new even). I guess I am a bargain gamer, which is what I need to be, since I don't have too much extra money.

I do keep my games almost always, but I have no problem selling them/trading if I feel indifferent about them. There is two fighting games I am looking to sell off right now in fact. MK vs DC and inJustice. I just can't get into these for whatever reason, and don't enjoy the crossover universe thing, which I don't mind sometimes but can't in these cases. So I collect what I like, which is a lot, but there is a lot I know I won't like and don't bother with too. In fact I like sports, but don't bother with the games much either. So even I who like sports don't really want to get the sports games.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:08:48 PM by RobotWillie » Logged

calebjross
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #1436 on: July 30, 2019, 09:03:59 AM »

Actually the first RDR is my favorite game so.......

I ain't even played 2 yet either, I wait to see if there is a version with all the DLC pretty much always, even when its the sequel to my favorite game I guess lol. I am starting to acquire retro stuff and loved playing the first Final Fantasy recently, it is an all time fav now (although its the PS1 version, but I do have a PS1 now). But yes 99% of my stuff is from the last 15 years. I am mostly focusing on Sony stuff right now. Just to have a focus to put my money on. It doesn't mean I don't want Nintendo or Sega or Xbox... etc.
I thought about doing the same, but I'm glad I didn't. I have a weird thing about games in that once I finish the main story, I'm pretty much done. I rarely go for the DLC. Horizon Zero Dawn is a recent example. I even purchased the complete edition with DLC included, but still, once I finished the main story, I stopped playing. And that's also one of my favorite games of all time. I'm not sure if that's because I have so many games on my backlog to play that I'm okay moving on. That's probably the reason.

And I didn't play Jak and Daxter until I was.... like 22 when the HD Collection came out and I loved it (also the soundtrack, which was made by a main Devo bandmember who I am a fan of, funny enough). It is also one of my all time favs. I do like it more than 2 and 3 but I loved those too. So, you seem to have a little in common with me albeit you are at least 10 years older or more it sounds, I am 29.
Yeah, about 10 years younger. I'm 36 but will be 37 in August.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1437 on: July 30, 2019, 04:39:26 PM »

Super Metroid is probably still my favorite of all time, but I'd say RDR2 is #3 for me behind Star Fox 64.
calebjross
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #1438 on: August 02, 2019, 01:20:22 PM »

Super Metroid is probably still my favorite of all time, but I'd say RDR2 is #3 for me behind Star Fox 64.
Good to know I'm not too weird.

gogamego
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #1439 on: August 30, 2019, 08:46:35 AM »

Hi there, just found the site! I just finished listening to Shoot the Corecast episode with Raiden V. I guess I'm a bit behind. Smiley Just got the game on Switch and am having a blast. I'm in St. Louis, My favorite current system at the moment is my Nintendo Switch. Other favorites are Turbografx-16, Genesis and Dreamcast. I am new to the Shoot 'em up genre. I've played several in the past but have just recently gotten into them a lot.

Switch friend code: 4955-5264-2212
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 100 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length