RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:08:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The Thread of Gaming Randomness 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 110 Print
Author Topic: The Thread of Gaming Randomness  (Read 421727 times)
two_scoop_steve
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats
« Reply #195 on: October 21, 2008, 03:19:53 PM »

nice vid leon

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #196 on: October 21, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »

Seriously though... How is it wrong to dl a game that was released over 10 years ago? One with no support, new copies being made, etc. Calling that 'illegal', or even against principles is plain silly. What is wrong is dl'ing Spore, or other games that are brand spanking new. These old ass games that have no support... I say dl 'em. Tongue
I see your point. It does make sense and is a good "compromise" between downloading vs. not downloading. Smiley
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #197 on: October 21, 2008, 03:51:53 PM »

http://www.dailymotion.co...ry-2-ia-du-gnu_videogames

What the hell? Huh

XD laugh

It's Farcry II, pretty sweet engine if I dare say so.

When shall his new form be revealed?
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #198 on: November 14, 2008, 12:55:07 PM »

Download every Valve Game ever for $100.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1134

If I didn't already have half of them AND have pre-ordered L4D I would totally jump on this deal. Pretty sic.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #199 on: November 14, 2008, 12:56:54 PM »

^ If that would be boxed instead of a download it'd be fantastic.
Tan
« Reply #200 on: November 14, 2008, 03:19:26 PM »

Seriously though... How is it wrong to dl a game that was released over 10 years ago? One with no support, new copies being made, etc. Calling that 'illegal', or even against principles is plain silly. What is wrong is dl'ing Spore, or other games that are brand spanking new. These old ass games that have no support... I say dl 'em. Tongue

Your definition of "old ass games" is probably different than the license holder's. PC games are no different than Atari 2600 in that regard. Age doesn't suddenly make them freeware and you don't know the future plans of every publisher for the games your downloading. It's still lost revenue to someone somewhere and a lost opportunity for revenue in the future. Take Fallout for example, 11 year old game whose original publisher was in no position to reprint it. Then along comes Bethesda making Fallout 3, and all of a sudden there's interest again and Fallout gets released on GameTap 11 years after it hit stores and several since the last time anyone has seen it in stores.

I'm well versed in the practice of abandonware, but I've seen many cases where an older game gets re-released in a compilation, retro collection or as a GameTap/console download. Unless you know the status of an IP or title specifically from the license holders mouth, your just guessing. Not that your made up rule is legal or would save you in a court of law regardless.

There's no grey area and it isn't a matter of principles. It's plain outright piracy no matter how you try to validate it to yourself or convince others it's OK to do. Your stance on the issue would be stronger if you just admitted it's wrong and did it because you can't find a decent copy, then at least most people would understand even if they didn't agree with your actions.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #201 on: November 14, 2008, 09:08:46 PM »

It's wrong to steal games. Don't try and say it's justified, just do it Tongue.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #202 on: November 15, 2008, 06:13:28 AM »

There's no grey area and it isn't a matter of principles.
I agree with everything you said there except this little line here.

It is a matter of principles. The possibilities for downloading games are there, for everyone. (with broadband internet) If I wanted to download Farcry 2, Fallout 3 or any other game, new or old, I could. I consider myself a "true" gamer yet many people from my college have played these new games and I haven't. None of them have actually bought a copy though. It's truly a sad thing. Sad

What I'm trying to say is that some people show these developers the respect that they deserve and decide not to download games. Others don't. (And that's what makes it a matter of principles)
cant-grow-up
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2008, 10:46:59 PM »

I personally see no problem in downloading games (pc not console) that the Developers/Publishers have let the copyrights lapse on, the former copyright holders are not trying to make $$ on the games anymore (hince why they let the copyrights lapse).
There are sites devoted to these games (wont mention names however) and some keep very good track of the licenses and pull the games if a license is say bought or the copyright redrawn. However it is technically still illegal. I myself prefer to have hard copies of games just because it makes me feel like I have and actual collection just like I rather have cds compared to MP3's,plus I enjoy the hunt. It all comes down to a persons personal view on if its truly right or wrong. But like many things a personal view doesnt change its status in the eyes of the law.

remembering the old times of late nights with the genesis

wishlist:Pico-3DO-Jaguar-Nomad-Xbox-NES
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #204 on: November 23, 2008, 10:05:54 AM »

My DS charger died.

Apparently i only still had one. I guess the other one got lost/stolen/died forever ago....

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #205 on: November 24, 2008, 02:08:07 AM »

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa.

This is awesome...

http://www.tapezilla.net/wargen/#wargen

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2008, 05:07:10 PM »

At a Nintendo developer’s roundtable event this evening in Los Angeles, a German journalist asked Nintendo designer Shigeru Miyamoto if it would be more appropriate to call “Wii Music,” which lacks goals and points, a “toy” rather than a “video game.”

Miyamoto replied tersely: “Yes, that’s right. And that’s why it’s more interesting than a video game."

http://multiplayerblog.mt...esting-than-a-video-game/

First of all: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Secondly: WAT?

Third: I will never purchase anything new from Nintendo again.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #207 on: November 30, 2008, 05:37:50 PM »

Hmmmm, Calling Wii Music a toy is giving it too much credit, in my opinion.

LEGO is what I'd call a toy, and I'd much rather play with my LEGO than with Wii Music. Wink
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #208 on: December 02, 2008, 04:23:28 PM »

I can't decide if I want to go buy GTA IV or not...

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #209 on: December 04, 2008, 12:55:24 AM »

To anyone that ever played MGS you NEED to read these comics:

http://hiimdaisy.livejournal.com/21892.html

Hilarious.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 110 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length