RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:28:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The Thread of Gaming Randomness 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 110 Print
Author Topic: The Thread of Gaming Randomness  (Read 423402 times)
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #660 on: September 16, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »

And they're the only place I go to get my cell phones. They price match and their insurance is the best I've seen.

Too bad they dont have the Windows 8 Sprint phone yet. Then again I havent checked in a few weeks.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #661 on: September 17, 2013, 06:49:12 PM »

So I'm pretty stoked after hearing all this talk about GTA5 (though I won't be able to get it until probably mid-next year), from vast amount of improvements over GTA4 to the wonderfully expansive world.  However, I do have some reservations, mainly the characters.  While at this point I have only seen Jim Sterling's GTA5 coverage in his Now Bloody Playing Youtube series as well as the Giant Bomb Quick Look, it's pretty obvious that there is no trace of the (more or less) lighthearted violence and game play that we've come to enjoy in both the previous GTA games as well as Saints Row.  In fact, the characters seem like they are all either raging stereotypes or complete scumbags, neither of which I fancy playing for 40+ hours.  What happened to the left-handed humor that this series was famous for?  Did they see what Volition was doing with Saints Row and just decide to go balls-out with the violence and sadism, Kane and Lynch style?

I would once again like to repeat that I understand that I've had limited exposure to this game, and while I will certainly get an earful from my workmates as well as from podcasts and videos on Youtube, I will not get to sit down and really play it for another eight months or so, and thus my opinion is nothing more than an impression of what I have seen.

Still, first impressions as very powerful and this will likely color what I see for a while regarding this game.  So while I'm ecstatic that Rockstar have finally fixed the driving and shooting, I don't know if I find that a valid trade-off for likable characters.  But then again, who knows.  If anything, Rockstar is well know for their ability to pull the rug out from under out feet regarding story.  Time will tell.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #662 on: September 17, 2013, 08:30:12 PM »

Grand Theft Auto V is skipping PC though correct?

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #663 on: September 17, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »

GTA V has not been announced for the PC yet.

Lots of people very much believe it will be on the PC next year though. PCgamer.com has a couple articles talking about the subject. The gist of it is that while it is all speculation, there are some somewhat telling facts and the history of the previous GTA release dates on the consoles vs PC points to a PC release, someday.

http://www.pcgamer.com/20...09/17/gta-5-rumourgeddon/

http://www.pcgamer.com/20...01/gta-5-pc-release-date/
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #664 on: September 17, 2013, 09:14:30 PM »

Grand Theft Auto V is skipping PC though correct?

What nupoile said.  It'll come out, just like it always does.  Now that it's hit consoles speculation on the PC side will turn from a question of when to a question of how:  physical or digital.  I'm also quite curious to see if the game will stress machines in a traditional manner (by hitting the video card hardest) or how they implemented GTA4 (which was a massive processor hog).

- Han Solo
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #665 on: September 17, 2013, 09:50:57 PM »

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #666 on: September 17, 2013, 09:55:25 PM »

I have heard extremely mixed reviews.

I know plenty of people who were blowing up the internet daily about OMG COMES OUT TONIGHT MIDNIGHT RELEASE FOR ME.
Or how great it was going to be or blah blah blah.

But saw one person already wanted to sell it to someone else, another guy turned it off after 20 minutes to go watch a soccer game, etc , etc
Maybe the people with good stuff to say about it are all still playing it?

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #667 on: September 18, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »

I'm in Kingdom Hearts mode.  Playing 1.5HD, Dream Drop Distance, and considering re-starting Birth by Sleep.  Just loving it right now.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #668 on: September 18, 2013, 06:51:49 PM »

So I'm pretty stoked after hearing all this talk about GTA5 (though I won't be able to get it until probably mid-next year), from vast amount of improvements over GTA4 to the wonderfully expansive world.  However, I do have some reservations, mainly the characters.  While at this point I have only seen Jim Sterling's GTA5 coverage in his Now Bloody Playing Youtube series as well as the Giant Bomb Quick Look, it's pretty obvious that there is no trace of the (more or less) lighthearted violence and game play that we've come to enjoy in both the previous GTA games as well as Saints Row.  In fact, the characters seem like they are all either raging stereotypes or complete scumbags, neither of which I fancy playing for 40+ hours.  What happened to the left-handed humor that this series was famous for?  Did they see what Volition was doing with Saints Row and just decide to go balls-out with the violence and sadism, Kane and Lynch style?

I would once again like to repeat that I understand that I've had limited exposure to this game, and while I will certainly get an earful from my workmates as well as from podcasts and videos on Youtube, I will not get to sit down and really play it for another eight months or so, and thus my opinion is nothing more than an impression of what I have seen.

Still, first impressions as very powerful and this will likely color what I see for a while regarding this game.  So while I'm ecstatic that Rockstar have finally fixed the driving and shooting, I don't know if I find that a valid trade-off for likable characters.  But then again, who knows.  If anything, Rockstar is well know for their ability to pull the rug out from under out feet regarding story.  Time will tell.

Watched a few vids on youtube of the early game and I wouldn't say it's gone Kane and Lynch style. There's even a flip-off/insult button. There's still the funny social commentary. There's still the funny radio.

If you think about it, the playable characters are never that funny. In GTA III he doesn't even speak, in Vice City and San Andreas the main character is pretty bland. I thought Niko was pretty interesting, but even still he was bland compared to his surrounding cast and crew. It's the world of GTA that's entertaining, not the main character.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #669 on: September 18, 2013, 07:03:17 PM »

People are dumb:
"Hey devs, you don't need micro transactions for make money! Case and point: GTA V"

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #670 on: September 18, 2013, 09:50:36 PM »

Watched a few vids on youtube of the early game and I wouldn't say it's gone Kane and Lynch style. There's even a flip-off/insult button. There's still the funny social commentary. There's still the funny radio.

If you think about it, the playable characters are never that funny. In GTA III he doesn't even speak, in Vice City and San Andreas the main character is pretty bland. I thought Niko was pretty interesting, but even still he was bland compared to his surrounding cast and crew. It's the world of GTA that's entertaining, not the main character.

No, I do understand what you are saying.  Maybe the whole Kane and Lynch-thing was a bit half-cocked.  Still, there is a change in this game that wasn't there before: In past GTA games the lead characters were (more or less) bland shells surrounded by cartoon characters (though the lead was more fleshed out by GTA4).  The difference is a sense of honor.  Sounds dumb, but think about it: while all the lead characters featured in GTA titles are sociopaths, there is very little cold-blood killing (in cut-scenes).  The true murder and mayhem was always carried out by the gamer controlling the action.  While a friend played I watched one of the characters jump a fence and murder (without provocation) a bunch of people for the mere reason one of them called a greeting.  I'm not judging, just saying there is a noticeable change.

Now I view these games the same as you (and more people, I'd warrant): the world is the real main character of the series.  Personally I can't wait to get my hands on the game and commence on doing my best to break the world and its mechanics, but until I can immerse myself in seeing if I can add superchargers to taco trucks, I can't help but observe (which may be more indicative of where I am getting the videos from).

People are dumb:
"Hey devs, you don't need micro transactions for make money! Case and point: GTA V"

Lol.

- Han Solo
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #671 on: September 19, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »

IF it is like Kane and Lynch I actually might play it.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #672 on: September 19, 2013, 09:11:05 AM »

No, I do understand what you are saying.  Maybe the whole Kane and Lynch-thing was a bit half-cocked.  Still, there is a change in this game that wasn't there before: In past GTA games the lead characters were (more or less) bland shells surrounded by cartoon characters (though the lead was more fleshed out by GTA4).  The difference is a sense of honor.  Sounds dumb, but think about it: while all the lead characters featured in GTA titles are sociopaths, there is very little cold-blood killing (in cut-scenes).  The true murder and mayhem was always carried out by the gamer controlling the action.  While a friend played I watched one of the characters jump a fence and murder (without provocation) a bunch of people for the mere reason one of them called a greeting.  I'm not judging, just saying there is a noticeable change.

Now I view these games the same as you (and more people, I'd warrant): the world is the real main character of the series.  Personally I can't wait to get my hands on the game and commence on doing my best to break the world and its mechanics, but until I can immerse myself in seeing if I can add superchargers to taco trucks, I can't help but observe (which may be more indicative of where I am getting the videos from).

People are dumb:

Lol.

So the problem is that they fleshed out the playable characters TOO much.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #673 on: September 19, 2013, 06:16:55 PM »

I'm seriously tempted to buy a PS3 just to play GTA 5...If I was working right now I totally would.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #674 on: September 19, 2013, 06:38:19 PM »

So the problem is that they fleshed out the playable characters TOO much.

No.  From what I was observing, I didn't like who the characters appeared to be.  Personally I don't give a fig how well the characters are fleshed out if they are something that I cannot: 1) identify with, or 2) be entertained by.  As time has been ticking away I've spent more time talking to those who are actually playing the game (as opposed to getting canned, non-interactive reactions from Youtube videos) so I'm starting to learn there is more depth to the characters.  No surprise there.  I care more for the world, game mechanics, and radio DJs than the story, so I don't care too much in that arena.  As I told a friend after GTA5 was announced, "As long as they make driving fun again I'll buy the game."  

These posts of mine has been more of a casual observance based primarily on evidence gathered from Youtube (which are pretty much all non-studious, off-the-cuff comments), so I wouldn't look too deep for any meaning.   I'm going to get my kids to bed, make some tomato-basil soup for tomorrow, then audit my 360 games.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:34:08 AM by bombatomba » Logged

- Han Solo
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 110 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length