RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:27:08 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The Thread of Gaming Randomness 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 110 Print
Author Topic: The Thread of Gaming Randomness  (Read 421717 times)
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #810 on: January 05, 2014, 09:55:23 PM »

If you thought the 2DS was something, get a load of this:

The scary thing is, Nintendo is probably actually developing the 1DS right now...
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #811 on: January 05, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »

Some milestones this year for the following systems:
Game Boy, Genesis and  TurboGrafx-16 celebrating their 25th anniversaries
Dreamcast celebrates its 15th anniversary
Nintendo DS passes 10 years as well

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #812 on: January 10, 2014, 01:21:23 PM »

http://www.nintendolife.c...s_new_island_release_date

But yeah, smartphones are killing handhelds....

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #813 on: January 10, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »

Quote from: Nintendo Life
More than 16 million combined packaged and digital Nintendo 3DS games were sold in 2013

Quote from: Apple
AppleŽ today announced that customers spent over $10 billion on the App Store℠ in 2013, including over $1 billion in December alone.

Please tell me who made more money on game sales.  Nintendo, or Apple?  Smartphones make more money selling video games.  If Apple had $10 billion in sales (Yes, not all sales were for video games), Android surely had more than that, as well as sales for Windows phone.

EDIT: http://www.theguardian.co...-outselling-sony-nintendo

Over a 3 month period, Android game sales accumulated four times the revenue of handheld game sales.  That number, again, doesn't include the other major operating systems.  So, yes, smartphone game sales are killing handheld game sales because last time I checked, four times the revenue is an immense amount of money in this industry.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:07:32 PM by blcklblskt » Logged
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #814 on: January 10, 2014, 04:27:03 PM »

PWN THAT F@CKING N00B

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #815 on: January 10, 2014, 09:36:15 PM »

More than 16 million combined packaged and digital Nintendo 3DS games were sold in 2013

AppleŽ today announced that customers spent over $10 billion on the App Store℠ in 2013, including over $1 billion in December alone.

Please tell me who made more money on game sales.  Nintendo, or Apple?  Smartphones make more money selling video games.  If Apple had $10 billion in sales (Yes, not all sales were for video games), Android surely had more than that, as well as sales for Windows phone.

Over a 3 month period, Android game sales accumulated four times the revenue of handheld game sales.  That number, again, doesn't include the other major operating systems.  So, yes, smartphone game sales are killing handheld game sales because last time I checked, four times the revenue is an immense amount of money in this industry.
But the point is, is that both markets can co-exist. If the 3DS is outselling the DS and even outselling home consoles in general in 2013. Then obviously the smartphone isn't replacing the handheld market, but co-existing with them. That was the point I was trying to get across. I just don't understand why people think that 3DS/Vita are going to die is all.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #816 on: January 11, 2014, 06:49:55 PM »

In time they will.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #817 on: January 11, 2014, 07:10:19 PM »

But the point is, is that both markets can co-exist. If the 3DS is outselling the DS and even outselling home consoles in general in 2013. Then obviously the smartphone isn't replacing the handheld market, but co-existing with them. That was the point I was trying to get across. I just don't understand why people think that 3DS/Vita are going to die is all.

Well, because there's absolutely no reason to carry around a device with a 5-7 inch screen that plays a few hundred $20-30 games when I'm already carrying around a device with a 5-7 inch screen that plays thousands of $1-10 games, takes calls, is a web-browser, and everything else a tablet or smartphone can do.

Handheld isn't dying, it's just moving to a thing that everyone has in their hands already.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:00:50 PM by The Metamorphosing Leon » Logged

When shall his new form be revealed?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #818 on: January 11, 2014, 07:13:48 PM »

Link - just because the total number is going up, doesn't mean that it's positive growth. In terms of percentage of the market, handhelds are losing out on a market they historically dominated. While they're not exactly dying, the profits that are being made aren't as large as they once were, and companies will invest money on areas where they can maximize the return. That's why Sega got out of the home hardware business - while they could make a profit, albeit small, they made most of their money off their first party  software and decided to focus their efforts on that instead.

Most of Nintendo's profits right now are driven by their first-party software. I would not be surprised to see Nintendo start releasing mobile products that interact with their handhelds and consoles, and eventually release the same products side-by-side with the console counterparts.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #819 on: January 14, 2014, 01:51:58 PM »

Just played a 3DS XL for the first time. I WANT ONE NOW.

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #820 on: January 14, 2014, 06:09:47 PM »

Just played a 3DS XL for the first time. I WANT ONE NOW.
Got the Zelda one for Christmas, it feels so nice. I was thinking it was going to be heavy like the DSi XL, but it was surprisingly light for its size Smiley

Dergatron9000
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #821 on: January 15, 2014, 02:46:26 PM »

Just packed my bags to come home from asia after traveling for a year. 26kg of videogames. Lol. Fingers crossed nothing gets damaged.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #822 on: January 23, 2014, 12:43:00 AM »

I tied for the number 5 slot on completed "arcade" games in the "US" with 351 completed games.
http://www.trueachievemen...22&findgamerid=253140

I require accolades and validation for wasting my life.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #823 on: January 23, 2014, 10:09:36 AM »

I tied for the number 5 slot on completed "arcade" games in the "US" with 351 completed games.

OMGZ YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! 

Now go play some retails.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #824 on: January 23, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »

OMGZ YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! 

Now go play some retails.

that's cool and: please, save your sanity and play some "real" games again! i thought at the start of 2013 you said you were going back to the retail games.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 110 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length