RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:40:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The Thread of Gaming Randomness 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 110 Print
Author Topic: The Thread of Gaming Randomness  (Read 423460 times)
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1425 on: July 10, 2016, 08:45:45 AM »

It may have even been here but I don't think it was, but on a forum this user had Knights of the Old Republic II avatar's and signatures and somewhere thrown in there was the fact he thinks its the best game of all time.

I often tell people the first one is my favorite game but its hard to fathom for me to see how anyone can like the second one more much less say its the best game of all time. Normally I don't bat an eye at someones opinion on what their favorite game is. But this one is one of the opinions I least can wrap my head around.

I got the first one the day it came out, I remember it like yesterday, my grandma bought it for me and it was on reservation on Xbox (which is all it was on for a while until the PC version). One of the best gaming memories of my life, because I was also a huge Star Wars nerd (not as much now but still like it). I liked the second one but it was also a bit of a let down in many ways. Its good, but still nowhere as good as the first.

Kotor was/is great. There is no doubt about that. Kotor II is also great, though I find that people give it a hard time.

The second game's major faults are it's slow start and meh ending. The middle 90% is fantastic but I guess not enough to overcome it's bookends to some.

There is also the welcome changes of your health regening faster when out of battles and the less restrictive level cap, those two things make the game more playable than the first.

I agree that the first is the better game, but not by much. First would be like 10/10 and the second 9/10.
RobotWillie
Don't You Know Blackmail is Way Uncool
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1426 on: July 10, 2016, 02:26:12 PM »

Smiley

All your points are right on. Its still great but not quite as. My experience was a bit soured though from a glitch. Whenever I tried to play the Light Side at some point the progress would also set up a road block that would not progress the game. It always happened on Nar Shadda. Going down the light side path caused it so Attons encounter with the two Twi'lek woman mercenaries in the cantina would'nt trigger. Happened on several tries for the light side path. I tried doing Nar Shadda in a different planet order than I would normally do but then the progress stppped somewhere else (I forgot where). Playing the game neutral didn't seem to help. I never got the woman companion as a result (the one who wears green), I would always get the Wookie instead. Now this the original Xbox version.

I got it on the PC and didn't get the light side ending either, I ended up getting the neutral ending which is pretty interesting.

So I played the dark side to the ending at least  probably 3 times on the original Xbox. Which I played the first all the way through probably 10 times at least. So I still liked it a lot but the glitch may have soured my experience. Because I like being a good guy just as much as its fun being a bad guy.

But yes, there is a lot I like about it.

If I really wanted to open a can of worms on a game people think is bad I will bring up DMC2, I don't hate that as much as most people. I'd rather play it than the reboot in fact.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1427 on: July 11, 2016, 07:30:00 AM »

The only flaw with KOTOR, was that it was a console exclusive to the *shudders* X-box

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
RobotWillie
Don't You Know Blackmail is Way Uncool
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1428 on: July 11, 2016, 08:10:20 PM »

I loved the Xbox. But now I have a PS3 and like it more so I don't know. I also want a PS4 and don't want an Xbox One. I guess I am lucky my favorite game was on the console I had at the time. I would own all the consoles if I could but I do prefer Sony now that I'm older (one of the many reasons is I like the DualShock much more). Not to mention I am more interested in the exclusive franchises on the Sony side too.

So I don't dislike it like you do, but I do prefer Sony. And Nintendo too. Since there are more exclusives on that too, if you have a Sony you'll get much of what the Xbox has besides a few exclusives. But I'd rather get the Nintendo exclusives than the Xbox ones also.

(I can't stand Halo, its one of the few franchises I never got the hype about, and one of the few games I didn't like when I was a teenager when I played my Xbox everyday)

It's literally like the only Xbox game I owned I couldn't get into, yet my feelings were the opposite of many of my peers thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread. So that too is another reason I don't miss Xbox exclusives, since one of the main ones interest me zero percent.

I really do like Uncharted more. Pretty much every Sony exclusive I can think of I like more than Halo. I know a true "Xbox" elitist would laugh at what I just said, Uncharted better than Halo, blasphemy! (I know, one came from a generation before it, but its present day and back then you could still buy Halo for PC if you wanted it that bad and didn't have an Xbox, its Xbox exclusive now, so the exclusive argument shouldn't matter in that regard).

Its of course what every one always wanted to play too when you would go over to their house. I remember pretending to like Halo 2 on one particular occasion but I wasn't having fun at all. Then again at one of my cousins on Halo 3. I don't even have fun playing it on multiplayer. Yet I probably of course like something you don't. Its just one of those person to person taste things, for some reason it never appealed to me at all. Not the graphics,story,etc. And I'm sure there stuff I like thats real similar to it too. I like a lot of FPS's. I like a lot of space related games and stuff. Theres just something about it I don't like and I don't even know what it is. It's just one of those things.

Someone could just as easily feel the same way about my favorite games, as is with everything in life eh?  Smiley (In Fact now that I think about it I remember someone here saying pretty much the only game they don;t like is Banjo Kazooie, while its one of my favorites on at least the 64)

But to add, it isn't a popularity thing either. I like a lot of the most popular games as well. I haven't played Call of Duty but even that interest me more than Halo. I'd be more willing to give it a go than try Halo again.

Edit: I realized I can in fact debunk the whole Halo was a generation older so it shouldn't be a factor in the exclusive argument that I like Uncharted more. Well, I like Sly Cooper,Ratchet and Clank and Jak much more too, so  Tongue.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:50:39 PM by RobotWillie » Logged

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1429 on: July 11, 2016, 09:07:35 PM »

This is amazing... finally homebrew on the Saturn and the ability for an Everdrive like device.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1430 on: July 11, 2016, 10:23:36 PM »

I'm an Xbox "elitest", and I honestly don't see how you can compare Halo and Uncharted. They're two complete different games, set in completely different environments, with completely different stories. Plus, there are a plethora of shooters and each caters to different playstyles. If anything, Uncharted compares more to Gears of War. Cheesy

Now, if you were to call Uncharted a rip-off of Tomb Raider, we'd have something to talk about.

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #1431 on: July 11, 2016, 10:31:28 PM »

This is amazing... finally homebrew on the Saturn and the ability for an Everdrive like device.

That is awesome! Mmm...
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #1432 on: July 12, 2016, 12:48:33 PM »

I booted up Duke Nukem 3D for the first time in years last night, and got sucked in again.  Of course, the high resolution pack helps, but man, it's still as addictive as it was years ago when I first played it.

I saw this on Twitter, and shared it.  I would love to see this come to fruition, to where we could buy something to allow us to play games like that.  Keep the discs in great shape, and keep the disc drive from total failure.  Would be amazing!

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1433 on: July 14, 2016, 10:58:53 AM »

It looks like Metal Jesus acquired a N64 DD US prototype:

http://arstechnica.com/ga...n-unearthed-near-seattle/

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1434 on: July 14, 2016, 12:38:40 PM »

that's really cool! i hope there's some cool unreleased game prototype on the disk.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1435 on: July 14, 2016, 01:23:08 PM »

Pretty cool.

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1436 on: July 15, 2016, 08:17:51 PM »

Video is up on MJR's channel:

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1437 on: July 17, 2016, 11:11:24 PM »

Had a friend over today, we had taken the family out to lunch and he was like, "I have some games to give you" so he comes over to give me games, and two consoles(!)(duplicates(the consoles), but still...) anyways, one of his daughters runs off to play with our Goddaughter, the other plays Wii Drawn to Life with my wife. Him and I look at my collection.....

He is totally into the INTV stuff, remembers it from when he was a kid. He's really into it....(as well he should be, INTV is very underrated around here)

Also he keeps trying to remember some game he played in some vague period of time between (what seems to me) 1983 and 1997, it has weapons you need to construct, an "isometric view", RPG, really old graphics, cart based, and a control system that you need to use a cursor to choose words with. It is 'like' Final Fantasy but not that......hmmmm....I start guessing. Show him Sierra games on google image search, broaden it to Scum games, show him Wastelands, ask if its Diablo, is it Dragon Warrior? Uhhhh, at this point I still don't know if it's something on the Atari or the Playstation, at one point I'm like, the game could be 30' from us and we don't know it! He's like, "I know, I know!"

He takes off to go home and he says he'll ask a friend he used to play it with what it was. Later he texts me that he thinks it's
Spoiler (hover to show)

Ha! I was actually trying to remember that name when I guessed Wastelands. Anyways, my wife is taking off to visit family for the weekend and guess who's coming over to play
Spoiler (hover to show)

(which I have CIB, not 10 feet from where we were sitting) and INTV games?  Cheesy
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1438 on: July 18, 2016, 12:43:29 AM »

we need a "plays like" guide on here for stuff like that! it would be very subjective and endless, but there's more to similarities between games than just genres. something along the lines of "if you liked this, try these".
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1439 on: July 22, 2016, 10:55:49 AM »

[img width=700 height=658]http://ep.yimg.com/ay/stylinonline/mortal-kombat-fight-scorpion-vs-sub-zero-t-shirt-3.jpg[/img]

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 110 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length