RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:47:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Site Feedback - May 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Site Feedback - May 2012  (Read 13873 times)
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 08:48:55 AM »

It'd be really nice to have Related Games available on the Title Addition form. Any time a new title is submitted, I search the DB to make sure the submitter didn't miss it and often times the search gives me a list of other games from the series or the game on different consoles. It'd be really easy to just copy/paste over the ID's before approving the title addition.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 09:05:42 AM »

I don't know whether or not this has been brought up or not, but it would be nice to be able to determine whether a game is licensed or not licensed (especially in the search results).  I'm mainly speaking from experience in putting together my NES collection and am not sure whether this is an issue with collecting for other systems.  Just a thought, if it can't happen, too much trouble, or not even worth the time, no problem. Smiley

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »

I don't know whether or not this has been brought up or not, but it would be nice to be able to determine whether a game is licensed or not licensed (especially in the search results).  I'm mainly speaking from experience in putting together my NES collection and am not sure whether this is an issue with collecting for other systems.  Just a thought, if it can't happen, too much trouble, or not even worth the time, no problem. Smiley

Maybe if Licensed, Unlicensed, Homebrew, etc. could be a particular field in the database and could then be searchable.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »

Do we track Homebrew games?

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »

Do we track Homebrew games?

Ones that got officially published, yes. See the RetroZone titles for example. Homebrews are currently indicated by the Genre "Homebrew." I don't think that is a good way to track them though, as that is not a game genre and doesn't describe the gameplay itself.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:14:19 AM by Duke.Togo » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 10:17:44 AM »

Homebrews yes.

Hacks and repros no

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »

Very cool, didnt realize that.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 10:33:33 AM »

Agreed. Hacks, repros, and pirates are all in the same bucket to me. While I do own some, I don't consider them a legitimate item for this database.

I am glad that we support homebrews though. Expanding the market for older systems and providing new content is a great way to enjoy this hobby.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 10:35:04 AM »

Technically, those need to be moved to Release Type instead. That's a TODO though.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 11:48:04 AM »

I kind of like the idea of marking entries as either licensed, unlicensed, or homebrew. It'd be similar to Release Type, but separate. It would be nice to be able to quickly see all the games from each category released on a system. But, like the Release Types, it would require us to go through every single entry in the DB to label them, which as we've discovered is a lot more time consuming than previously thought.

Tadpole13
Donor
Italy

Stats
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 12:59:23 PM »

So People have been going crazy with suggestions so I will keep mine short. 
1.  Add a option where I can see my overall total of my collection including doubles.
2. When you add a game to your collection have it automatically redirect you to the search screen so you can add games to your collection at a faster rate.  When it redirects have it save the last highlighted video game system you chose,  so if you are adding like 40 nintendo games it speeds up the process.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 04:47:08 PM »

I kind of like the idea of marking entries as either licensed, unlicensed, or homebrew. It'd be similar to Release Type, but separate. It would be nice to be able to quickly see all the games from each category released on a system. But, like the Release Types, it would require us to go through every single entry in the DB to label them, which as we've discovered is a lot more time consuming than previously thought.

Could all titles be labeled licensed by default? I would think it would be much faster just to go and change the few that are unlicensed/homebrew.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »

Yeah, that would be the intention - add a Release Type of Unlicensed, Homebrew, or Pirate (should we have official Pirates in the database for whatever reason...perhaps Air Raid, but that's a whole 'nother debate)

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 11:38:02 PM »

I'd like to see a page where I can view ALL blogs by time posted.  AFAIK, there is no current way to do this, so I end up missing out on reading some of the blogs.

I'd also like to see some kind of feature that could help me with HTML for DB pages.  I basically known next to nothing about HTML, so it would be awesome to have a page containing useful code, and maybe some examples.
aeroc
DB Contributor

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 12:08:47 AM »

My wild suggestion would be to expand the game credits field into a sub-database where every person credited would have their own entity/page, sort of like IMDB for gaming. It sort of leaves the scope of game collecting, but would make RFG an even greater resource.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length