RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:10:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Site Feedback - May 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Site Feedback - May 2012  (Read 13698 times)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« on: May 15, 2012, 11:27:57 AM »

Leave any feedback that you have here, including things you'd like fixed or added. Go wild with any of your suggestions - you never know what we'll have time to look into.

Completed
Clear smf_attachments table to prevent random images from appearing in new posts.

Extra Media Submission - Missing Carriage Return after View Game Page
Image links for Thumbnails always return .JPG for File Extension
Find Missing Info
Populate More Fields When Adding Variants
Display Rotating Flag Images for Related Games/Variation Tie-Ins instead of Region Flags
Display Rotating Flag Images for ALL Submissions for Review instead of Region Flags
Add Link to Entry for ALL Submissions for Review
Fix Annoying Issue Where Approved Hardware/Screenshot Images Don't Render After Approval, along with Formatting
Maybe Pretty Up the Screenshot Thumbnails with a Slideshow instead?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:50:49 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 11:45:51 AM »

Extra Media Submission - Missing Carriage Return after View Game Page

View Game Page Submit a Box Front Image for this entry
Submit a Box Back Image for this entry
Submit a Game Scan for this entry
Submit a Manual Scan for this entry
Submit an Extra Media Scan for this entry
Submit a In Game Screenshot for this entry

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 11:47:20 AM »

Image links for Thumbnails always return .JPG for File Extension

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 01:40:25 PM »

I think I mentioned this earlier, but it would be nice to have a tool that showed DB entries that were lacking pieces of info and what they were, similar to the Find Missing Images function.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 03:28:22 PM »

I could do that, but the most often missing piece of information is likely to be Release Type, Rating, or Media Quantity until we fill those out.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 03:43:27 PM »

It would be nice to have the followings fields carry over when submitting variations:

Genre
Subgenre
Players
Control Scheme
Media Format

IIRC, Developer, Publisher, and Game Rating do carry over.  I could understand Media Format not always carrying over, but the others I have listed 99.9% will not change between variations.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »

It would be nice to have the followings fields carry over when submitting variations:

Genre
Subgenre
Players
Control Scheme
Media Format

IIRC, Developer, Publisher, and Game Rating do carry over.  I could understand Media Format not always carrying over, but the others I have listed 99.9% will not change between variations.

Completely forgot about that. That's a simple fix and would help tremendously when adding Variants.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »

It would also be nice if related games would transfer over to variations also.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »

Adding a "Add Variation" link on each game page would help tremendously.

We've lost power in the forward Game Boy, Mario is not responding
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »

That's by design. Honestly, we should re-work how Related Games works period...

Adding a "Add Variation" link on each game page would help tremendously.

Definitely need to add that.

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »

I think my suggestions might be on the wild side, but since you asked:

Fuzzy search in the database. Unless you type in a title, or part of a title, exactly, it won't show up. This sometimes makes looking up games with stylized apostrophes and dashes and the like, on the box art, hard to look up. It would be nice for other reasons too.

More choices in the Collections Checklist. I would like to be able to print out lists with only the games I have or only the games I don't have for a particular console. Say you own 50 NES games, or only have 50 left to go, and you don't want to carry, or view, the list of all the games. And I would like to be able to change how many games are on a page, personally I don't mind tiny font so I would print lists with 75 lines or something. This would be great on the Odyssey^2 page were the whole US list takes up one page plus one more page with only 2 games.

It would be nice to compare two collectors collections. Say nupoile wants to trade with nupoile^2. There could be a list that somehow highlighted games they had in common which would make finding games to trade the other doesn't already own easier. Or this, I have a good sized Odyssey^2 collection, it would be fun to see how I compare to other O^2 collectors. Which sort of leads into my next suggestion:

Have more options in the All Collections page. Right now you can sort by members name and total games owned, for sale and on their wishlist. But when you go to any particular members page you can sort it out by console. What if you could sort out all collections by console? So you could see were people fit in with other NES collectors or O^2 collectors.

Make it easier to see if you have items with missing images in the database. This would be a list of all the things you own that could use a submitted image. I started to look at the NES list that shows which games need images but currently the list simply shows all NES games. I want one that just shows what I own and is also missing images. I imagine this would be a much smaller list to look at and would save me from having to look back and forth from the one list (games with/with out images) to the other (what I actually own).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:24:29 PM by nupoile » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 07:14:12 PM »

Nothing is too much of a stretch, honestly. Fuzzy search is something I asked about a long time ago, along with comparison of member collections and the ability to see what I could upload from my own collection. I've had many, many ideas since I first signed up here, and it's now time to implement what I can get to.

EDIT: That random picture issue too...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:24:46 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

theGrue
Android Developer
Programmers

Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »

Things I've been thinking about since I joined the staff as a developer:

- Basic social networking integration
Facebook Like, Google+, Tweet, etc buttons on game pages and blogs to make it easier to share our content and drive in traffic. Also, better support for Open Graph metadata when posting to Facebook. Currently our game/hardware detail pages do not get read very well by Open Graph, and there are easy to use meta tags out there that we can use to guide it better.

- Revamp the activity feeds on the right side of the main page
Oh cool, this game updated... What about it updated? Is there a new picture? Is it new to the database altogether? Who contributed it? Oh cool, a new blog! Who wrote it? Hey, theGrue updated his collection... I wonder what he added? You get the point. Right now the information here is very rudimentary, but with a little bit of an overhaul, could really enhance the community within the site by seeing who's active on the site and what they're doing.

- Achievements!
Who doesn't love gamification? When I finish my N64 collection, I want a spiffy badge. I haven't really thought about this one much, but it could be fun to implement.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 07:38:34 PM »

That's by design. Honestly, we should re-work how Related Games works period...

I agree. When I want to relate NES games to their FDS counterparts there is no efficient way of doing that right now. When I am looking for games on Famicom sale lists, often can't tell by the title if it got a NES release. Right now I have to use Google-fu to find out.

Also, for the Forums it would be nice to have a "What's New" button to see all the new posts since your last visit.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 08:47:01 AM »

Things I've been thinking about since I joined the staff as a developer:

- Basic social networking integration
Facebook Like, Google+, Tweet, etc buttons on game pages and blogs to make it easier to share our content and drive in traffic. Also, better support for Open Graph metadata when posting to Facebook. Currently our game/hardware detail pages do not get read very well by Open Graph, and there are easy to use meta tags out there that we can use to guide it better.

- Revamp the activity feeds on the right side of the main page
Oh cool, this game updated... What about it updated? Is there a new picture? Is it new to the database altogether? Who contributed it? Oh cool, a new blog! Who wrote it? Hey, theGrue updated his collection... I wonder what he added? You get the point. Right now the information here is very rudimentary, but with a little bit of an overhaul, could really enhance the community within the site by seeing who's active on the site and what they're doing.

- Achievements!
Who doesn't love gamification? When I finish my N64 collection, I want a spiffy badge. I haven't really thought about this one much, but it could be fun to implement.

Lol, I love badges!!

We need to either remove the Features tab at the top of the page or get a blog schedule up for us lazy bloggers and revamp it or something. There havnt been features in YEARS now.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length