RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:12:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Skylanders in the Db talk 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Skylanders in the Db talk  (Read 28053 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 06:55:11 PM »

With the impending addition of Amiibo to the milieu, I believe they do have a place in the DB.

Is it even possible to play Skylandes without any figures?

EDIT: NVM, it looks like Techie just answered my question.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:57:47 PM by Duke.Togo » Logged

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 07:23:53 PM »

With the impending addition of Amiibo to the milieu, I believe they do have a place in the DB.

Is it even possible to play Skylandes without any figures?

EDIT: NVM, it looks like Techie just answered my question.

Can't wait for Amiibo!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 08:54:33 PM »

I have no doubt the will end up the in db. Why not everything else is. Lets just fuck it up even more.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 09:15:01 PM »

I have no doubt the will end up the in db. Why not everything else is. Lets just fuck it up even more.

I love you anyway Tynstar.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 11:25:53 PM »

I love you anyway Tynstar.

I love all you guys. Minus Izret he is a dick.

beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer

THe beer in the mugs is Canadian in honor of Crabby.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 12:09:35 AM »

Thank you for moving this over to something outside of the Milestones thread. My intention was not to take over that thread with this conversation.

I can see both sides, and I didn't realize it was so polarized. I never thought about it in the ways you guys have mentioned. Tynstar makes some valid points in that the line is blurred. I had been ignorant, but there are many "accessories" that while video game related, may not fit the same mold as other more obvious stuff.

While I am hoping the mention of formally tracking Pac-man cereal was just for dramatic effect, the comparison helped me think deeper on the matter. Was there ever a rulebook or guidelines penned by our founders on what defines soft/hardware? I feel pretty passionately about digital releases not being "real", but we have been allowed to track those here, and I know others who share the same ideals, but does that mean it isn't worth tracking?

After that thought, I was humbled to remember that the tracking system is a tool for us to use, and although I may disagree that digital titles are included in it, that doesn't mean someone wouldn't find it helpful for their tracking. Would this idea not also translate to the Skylanders/infinity figures?

After much thought on the matter on both sides, I cannot see any reason why to disallow it completely. If it will make tracking the suckers easier for those that do play those games, why not? Since I do not play the games, or use those controllers/memory cards/accessories myself; it really wouldn't affect my use of the tool. Allowing others to have a place to track them efficiently wouldn't make it more difficult for me to use.

In the end, the decision falls on you guys in charge of the site, and that is a trouble I am glad to not have to deal with directly. Wink But I hope my input is helpful and hasn't been taken negatively.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 08:08:03 AM »

Well the good thing (or bad thing) is they would track as Multiple System releases.

Good thing
Very easy for people to find in their collection and won't bog down DB or personal collection searches for any of the systems they work with.

Bad thing
1. Multi Consoles is something there has been talk about fixing/changing the way it works.
2. Variants Wink

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 10:00:51 AM »

@Boshamp - I have no idea why people would track digital titles here. I have never used Steam before but I thought when you logged into it you see a list of all the games you won.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 06:55:10 PM »

you do get a list on steam, and on some other digital platforms. i think the reason people want it here is to have a place where they can track everything they own without anything missing. that's much nicer than looking at a dozen different lists through different platforms to see how many (or which) digital games you have.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 07:40:54 PM »

Just you wait until i get Flappy Bird in the database...

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 11:18:56 PM »

Just you wait until i get Flappy Bird in the database...

I hate you!!!!!!!!!!!

Zthun
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 09:28:31 AM »

@Boshamp - I have no idea why people would track digital titles here. I have never used Steam before but I thought when you logged into it you see a list of all the games you won.

Just to clear this up, I track digital games so I can search to see if I have a title somewhere in my library when I'm out looking at stuff.  Steam has a good list of what is available to you regardless of whether it is installed or not, but the games you download on the XBox 360 does not.  I have games that I downloaded at some point on the 360 but some of them have been deleted and now I have no idea what is available to me.

On the topic of Skylanders, they aren't DLC.  They're not just extensions in the game - the games revolve around the figures.  There is backward compatibility for the figures and each figure stores it's level, items, and skills within itself.  You can level up a figure to level 10 in Spyro's Adventure, and then put the same figure on the portal while playing Giants or Swap Force and you will immediately get a level 10 character.  They are also platform independent.  My Spyro figure that works on the 360 version will also work on the PS3, Wii, and DS version.  They are not DLC.  They are action figures with chips that store data for the individual character.  They belong in the Hardware table in the database.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:33:59 AM by Zthun » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 11:38:02 AM »

Would you say Skylanders are analogous to memory cards?

Zthun
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 04:08:47 PM »

Would you say Skylanders are analogous to memory cards?

Yeah, pretty much.  It's what crabby said earlier last month.
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 11:16:31 PM »

Make "Data Figure" a Genre of hardware. There are Amiibos coming out in less than a week and I'll be damned if they're not trackable. There are already tons of these figures out to collect and I see no reason why they shouldn't be trackable. If they play such an integral part to the games, they should be in. Not only that but they're accessories plain and simple. They store your progress like a memory card. If they didn't have little figures on the top, they'd be memory cards.

On a side note,when the time comes, remember that Amiibos still need to be under multiple consoles because the 3DS is also going to be compatible with them.

On another side note, I agree carrying cases and shelves shouldn't be in the DB. They're merchandise, not hardware. Seriously, there's a CD rack in the DB. A CD RACK.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:17:45 AM by Flee » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length