RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:30:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Retro Playthrough - February 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Retro Playthrough - February 2015  (Read 59980 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2015, 10:32:57 AM »

I soooo want to play this, but don't have a copy.  Every time I see it in the wild, it's still $30 or $35 for a loose cart, and I just can't pull the trigger on it, no matter how good the game is, because there are probably more copies of that game floating around than half of the SNES library.  I have some eShop money, maybe I should get it on the VC so I can play on my Wii U.  That would allow me to play it on the Game Pad so my wife doesn't complain about me monopolizing the TV Grin

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2015, 10:46:20 AM »

I soooo want to play this, but don't have a copy.  Every time I see it in the wild, it's still $30 or $35 for a loose cart, and I just can't pull the trigger on it, no matter how good the game is, because there are probably more copies of that game floating around than half of the SNES library.  I have some eShop money, maybe I should get it on the VC so I can play on my Wii U.  That would allow me to play it on the Game Pad so my wife doesn't complain about me monopolizing the TV Grin

I can guarantee 100% that you'll be kicking yourself in that a%$ if you don't play with us in February. It's an incredible game and you'll be happy that your first time playing it was with this group. If you have to get it on the VC, do it, but be warned, you'll have to own an original copy in the future. Trending between $25-$30 on eBay. Put up a WTB thread on the forums here and see if anyone has a more affordable copy for sale. Can't hurt.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2015, 10:52:20 AM »

I'm playing on Virtual Console. It's not bad. If that's the only version that's accessible to you right now, go for it.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2015, 11:06:58 AM »

By my count, there are 3 people who are participating but haven't played this game yet.

Out of curiosity, why? Where were you guys in 1991-1992? Surely you've all played bad games since then, but not Zelda? Just curious if there is a specific story behind it, like....you were about to play it but then you got kidnapped for 20 years or you've been busy feeding the starving people in Africa.

To me, it's the equivalent of a Rock n Roll enthusiast who hasn't gotten around to listening to Led Zeppelin yet. Just curious Smiley
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:08:41 AM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2015, 11:10:36 AM »

I just never liked Zelda games. I'm still not crazy about them. I'm not into trial and error figuring out what to do next, making a ten hour game into thirty or whatever.

Also, now that I'm so heavy into RPGs, I kind of don't like how if you're full on money, health, etc there's no reason to kill any enemies.

zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2015, 11:14:42 AM »

By my count, there are 3 people who are participating but haven't played this game yet.

Out of curiosity, why? Where were you guys in 1991-1992? Surely you've all played bad games since then, but not Zelda? Just curious if there is a specific story behind it, like....you were about to play it but then you got kidnapped for 20 years or you've been busy feeding the starving people in Africa.

To me, it's the equivalent of a Rock n Roll enthusiast who hasn't gotten around to listening to Led Zeppelin yet. Just curious Smiley

I was  a Genesis kid (and 4-5 years old at the time it came out). I didn't have a Super Nintendo until much later and never really got much into Zelda games. I did play Ocarina of Time extensively, but that's about it. I'm eager to finally fully try it out on this playthrough.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2015, 11:22:47 AM »

I just never liked Zelda games. I'm still not crazy about them. I'm not into trial and error figuring out what to do next, making a ten hour game into thirty or whatever.

Also, now that I'm so heavy into RPGs, I kind of don't like how if you're full on money, health, etc there's no reason to kill any enemies.

There's not a lot of trial and error in LTTP in terms of figuring out what to do next (I can't speak to this on later Zelda games since I haven't really played any other than The Minish Cap). The dungeons are actually marked for you on your map and numbered so that you know where to go next. Also, you're given some helpful hints from NPCs as to where to find certain items you might need in the overworld. Talking to NPCs to determine where to go......oh my..... isn't that an RPG mechanic as well?

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2015, 11:26:54 AM »

Legend of Zelda is an Action/Adventure game, NOT an RPG. We've had this discussion numerous times, and it's a prime example in our Genre guide. Wink

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2015, 11:31:45 AM »

Legend of Zelda is an Action/Adventure game, NOT an RPG. We've had this discussion numerous times, and it's a prime example in our Genre guide. Wink

I don't think anyone is arguing that it is a RPG. My point is that like many RPGs, you have to talk to NPCs to determine where to go or find certain items. And there's only one village, so it's not like it's very time consuming.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2015, 11:32:41 AM »

Talking to NPCs to determine where to go......oh my..... isn't that an RPG mechanic as well?

Yes, so is leveling your character, which is what I was referring to.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2015, 11:41:07 AM »

There's not a lot of trial and error in LTTP in terms of figuring out what to do next.

I'm just really, really dumb. I just entered the Desert Palace for example and would never have been able to figure out how to get in.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2015, 11:44:10 AM »

There's not a lot of trial and error in LTTP in terms of figuring out what to do next.

I'm just really, really dumb. I just entered the Desert Palace for example and would never have been able to figure out how to get in.

I can understand that and recall that part. A little exploring is necessary, but compared to a lot of games, the world map on LTTP is very small and takes little time to navigate. Still, I can understand your frustration with this part.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2015, 12:00:05 PM »

The Book of Mudora is probably one of the least intuitive portions of the game, so there's that. The monkey later on may frustrate you as well.

I don't think anyone is arguing that it is a RPG. My point is that like many RPGs, you have to talk to NPCs to determine where to go or find certain items. And there's only one village, so it's not like it's very time consuming.

I know. I just wanted to make the statement, since it's been a sticking point concerning Legend of Zelda games in the past. Wink  It was more of just a callback to various threads about what Legend of Zelda game genres should be.

Many games these days span genres, and RPG elements have been integrated into everything including Sports and Shooters.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:14:11 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2015, 12:32:40 PM »

I was  a Genesis kid (and 4-5 years old at the time it came out). I didn't have a Super Nintendo until much later and never really got much into Zelda games. I did play Ocarina of Time extensively, but that's about it. I'm eager to finally fully try it out on this playthrough.
Sometimes I forget that there were Sega kids and Nintendo kids.

Sounds good. Hopefully you're enjoying it.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:35:53 PM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2015, 12:44:45 PM »

Hopefully you're enjoying it.

I'm very glad you said that. In fact I am enjoying it quite a lot. The fact that I'm playing it on GBA is a big factor, I don't know about the original cart, but you can save any time and boot the game from pretty much wherever you want so there is a huge convenience factor going on that I love.

Sometimes when I criticize or point out things I don't like in a game it comes off like I'm totally hating it. I'm not. It's great.

I was just PM'ing Disposed Hero that my job is closed tomorrow for snow. I'll be playing this and Fallout 3. Could anyone ask for any two better games to be stuck inside with all day?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length