RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:22:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Retro Playthrough - February 2015 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Retro Playthrough - February 2015  (Read 60254 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2015, 12:55:09 PM »

With the original cart, you can "Save and Quit" at any time. However, you get a limited selection of where you can start when you come back. I assume this is the same for the GBA version or can you pick up right where you left off?

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2015, 01:04:57 PM »

Yeah, it's your house, Sanctuary, or saved place. I like it because it can also be used as a poor man's fast travel system.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2015, 02:59:35 PM »

Someone asked why some of us have never played Link to the Past before. I was a year old when this came out... But I played it to completion with a friend when we were eight or so.

Yeah... I'm the baby of the group here.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2015, 06:30:53 PM »

By my count, there are 3 people who are participating but haven't played this game yet.

Out of curiosity, why? Where were you guys in 1991-1992? Surely you've all played bad games since then, but not Zelda? Just curious if there is a specific story behind it, like....you were about to play it but then you got kidnapped for 20 years or you've been busy feeding the starving people in Africa.

To me, it's the equivalent of a Rock n Roll enthusiast who hasn't gotten around to listening to Led Zeppelin yet. Just curious Smiley

Like zcrich01, I was a Genesis kid once I had my own console, so I focused mainly on action/platformer games, shmups, puzzlers, and arcade conversions.  I bought Link's Awakening DX when I first got my GBC, but didn't get very far into it before I hit a wall and gave up, mostly because I was really into my PlayStation.  Years later, I played a bunch of Ocarina of Time on my brother-in-law's N64, but didn't finish it before he moved away.  I own Majora's Mask, but haven't really played it much, and though I own the original LoZ for NES, I've really only plugged it in to make sure it works.  I've just never been a Zelda fan - it didn't click with me as a kid, and hasn't grabbed me enough as an adult to want to invest time into it.  I do have Wind Waker HD for my Wii U, and plan to play it soon, and I do plan to go back to Link's Awakening at some point and power through it, so maybe getting LttP will be the push I need to finally get into LoZ games.

Part of my frustration is that the price of the game is always in that $25-$35 range, and I'm sorry, but for cart only, I have a hard time plunking down that kind of cash for a game that is IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM even remotely rare.  From what I understand, everyone and their dog who owned a SNES had this game, so there should be no shortage of working cartridges out there.  It's just that the demand remains high, and because it's a LoZ game, it commands a higher price regardless.  Am I crazy for thinking that's too much to pay for a cart only game?  I'm used to paying $5 or $10 at the most for cart-only on most anything, and when I walk into a game shop and they've got some crappy game priced at $15 or $20 cart only, I grumble and haggle and turn into an old curmudgeon.  If I was 14 again, and had money to burn, I'd be happy to spend my $40 or $50 for a shiny new cart complete with box, manual, etc. but as a penny-pinching adult, I find it hard to justify the cost.

In any event, I'll probably buy the Wii U VC version so I can finally experience it (along with Earthbound), and eventually I'll work my way up to owning a cart.  Then again, maybe I'll take singlebanana's advice and see if anyone has a spare copy they'll let go for less than the "going rate" Grin

zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2015, 02:26:25 PM »

Started this last night...or attempted to...but died three times in the opening dungeon and turned it off. Have I mentioned how terrible I am at games like this? Haha.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2015, 02:29:52 PM »

Started this last night...or attempted to...but died three times in the opening dungeon and turned it off. Have I mentioned how terrible I am at games like this? Haha.

If you are having trouble and get overly frustrated, let me know. I can lead you to the bottles and get you on track to having some reserve health. Once you get a little more use to the enemies, it will get easier.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2015, 07:55:55 PM »

[img width=459 height=816]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/27/dddd22681666c89092c5ff77242beed2.jpg[/img]  sll ready

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2015, 10:35:06 AM »

I was just PM'ing Disposed Hero that my job is closed tomorrow for snow.
New Jersey, huh? We got CRUSHED on the east end of Long Island. We had a travel ban until yesterday late morning. Roads are still bad.

From what I understand, everyone and their dog who owned a SNES had this game
Haha, that's exactly why I asked the question. I assumed everyone and their dog owned this game. That's why I was puzzled that a few people here haven't played it.

I actually think the very beginning of this game is a little difficult. You don't have much room for error and some of the enemies are tough the first time you see them.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2015, 10:39:11 AM »

I agree in terms of the opening enemies. The guards ability to block with their swords and spears can be frustrating. Getting inside on the opposite side of their weapon is key and the spin attack is your friend.

zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2015, 01:22:55 PM »

Gonna most likely try to give it another go tonight if I can keep from continuing to binge-watch Warehouse 13.
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2015, 02:51:50 PM »

Currently working on this son of a bitch:

Spoiler (hover to show)

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2015, 03:04:17 PM »

Spoiler (hover to show)

You work that SOB!!

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2015, 03:41:36 PM »

Spoiler (hover to show)

Good luck with that one.  That's probably the most annoying boss in the game in my opinion.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2015, 05:37:54 PM »

I'll second that. He's not hard, just frustrating. That knock-back is a pain. After six or so tries I finally beat that boss.

Since I'm two endings away from fully completing 999 I'll put more time into LttP.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2015, 06:54:32 PM »

Eh, I can name at least two bosses that are more frustrating, but I'll save that. We're not even in February yet....

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length