RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:38:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Mega Man 2 & 3 - Retro Playthrough - June 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Mega Man 2 & 3 - Retro Playthrough - June 2015  (Read 34657 times)
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 06:38:32 AM »

I'm feeling the casual play-through. I was thinking the challenges would be like "beat MM2 on hard" or "beat the games with only the mega buster" (which I'll probably do anyway), but it'll be nice to just play and chat.

2 things I'll say to start...

1 - Two of the best soundtracks on the NES. Many consider MM2 the greatest soundtrack of all-time and it probably has the most cover songs. But I feel MM3 is overshadowed in this department because MM2's soundtrack is so dominant. If you ask me, they are both top 5 NES soundtracks.

2 - I've beaten both of these games several times. I'm going to play in a random order and refrain from using Metal Blade. For those who don't know, Metal Blade makes an easy game easier.
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 08:35:11 AM »

I'm feeling the casual play-through. I was thinking the challenges would be like "beat MM2 on hard" or "beat the games with only the mega buster" (which I'll probably do anyway), but it'll be nice to just play and chat.

Good suggestions Jerry!  I wanted to add achievements to this playthrough, but not being very experienced with the Mega Man games myself, I wasn't sure what to set as achievements.  I added these suggestions to the OP.  Keep 'em coming if you have any more.  I'm sure the Mega Man veterans here will appreciate the challenge.  Smiley

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 08:55:47 AM »

I'm hoping my Blinking Light Win comes in pretty soon (it should). This will be a great way to break it in.

Blinking Light Win?

72-pin replacement connector for the NES. Kickstarter project.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 11:34:30 AM »

I added these suggestions to the OP.  Keep 'em coming if you have any more.
Beat either game without using an E-tank. Hard to say which is more difficult; using only the Mega Buster or not using any E-tanks.

*Regarding the Mega Buster challenge, there are some bosses that are invincible against the Mega Buster so we'd obviously have to excuse those enemies.
Neo
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 12:03:15 PM »

I like bananas stategy. Iill give it a try.

There is no Spoon - Neo
Neo
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2015, 12:06:07 PM »

Beat the games with only the megabuster. Lol...if someone does that i want an autograph. That sounds like it would be very hard.

There is no Spoon - Neo
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2015, 12:21:06 PM »

/\

It's not that bad, in MM2 a lot of the bosses take a lot of damage from the Mega Buster. However, beating either game without E-tanks AND only using the Mega Buster would be a MAJOR challenge.
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2015, 02:59:58 PM »

That's Bubble Man down.  I started Wily Castle, but Mecha Dragon had my number today.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 03:02:22 PM »

That's Bubble Man down.  I started Wily Castle, but Mecha Dragon had my number today.

That bastard scared the hell out of me the first time it popped up behind me as a kid. Am I the only one?

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 03:07:01 PM »

That bastard scared the hell out of me the first time it popped up behind me as a kid. Am I the only one?

I knew he was coming, so I wasn't scared, per se, however, I was startled when I was lining up a jump and Mecha Dragon rose up and OHKO'ed me.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2015, 12:19:43 PM »

I'm hoping my Blinking Light Win comes in pretty soon (it should). This will be a great way to break it in.

Blinking Light Win?

72-pin replacement connector for the NES. Kickstarter project.

Doh!  *slaps forehead*

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »

Looks like I'm alone with the speedrun thang...

Btw I NEVER get tired of this music.  SO GOOD.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2015, 09:15:03 PM »

Mega Man 2 down!

Spoiler (hover to show)

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2015, 06:14:31 AM »

Looks like I'm alone with the speedrun thang...

Btw I NEVER get tired of this music.  SO GOOD.
You're not alone, I just haven't started yet Smiley

Am I alone in the mega buster-only challenge or the no e-tank challenge?
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2015, 08:03:01 AM »

The music in Mega Man 2 is my favorite video game music of all time. So diverse and well done, and every track is distinct and matches well with each stage.  I'm not sure if any of the rest of you are NA members and took advantage of this some time ago:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length