RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:05:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | CD-I Collecting! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: CD-I Collecting!  (Read 7952 times)
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« on: May 14, 2017, 10:30:25 PM »

I am nearing the end of my journey with the Atari 5200. I have about a handful of official release games to get. With that I have been brainstorming about what to collect for next. I though about the 7800, Jaguar, and SMS. When it hit me that the CD-I goes underappreciated just as much as the Atari 5200. So since I have a thing for these types of consoles. I will now begin my collection of all U.S. release CD-I software.

What I need are recommendations for games/software to get first. I know barely anything about the console apart from what was talked about in the AVGN episodes.

So lets get this started let me know what you would recommend.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:48:24 PM by Fokakis79 » Logged

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 06:08:18 AM »

All 3 Zeldas. laugh

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 07:16:44 AM »

When I updated my wishlist recently I watched a ton of CD-i videos to get a feel for the games I would be interested in. This is my CD-i wishlist in terms of games that look interesting/fun to play. Can't help much with the rare/collectible stuff though.

Apprentice, The
Dark Castle
Dimo's Quest
Hotel Mario
Kingdom II: Shadoan
Kingdom: The Far Reaches
Labyrinth of Crete
Link: The Faces of Evil
Litil Divil
Mega Maze
Mutant Rampage: Bodyslam
Pac Panic   
Shaolin's Road   
Zelda's Adventure
Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 11:02:57 AM »

When I updated my wishlist recently I watched a ton of CD-i videos to get a feel for the games I would be interested in. This is my CD-i wishlist in terms of games that look interesting/fun to play. Can't help much with the rare/collectible stuff though.

Apprentice, The
Dark Castle
Dimo's Quest
Hotel Mario
Kingdom II: Shadoan
Kingdom: The Far Reaches
Labyrinth of Crete
Link: The Faces of Evil
Litil Divil
Mega Maze
Mutant Rampage: Bodyslam
Pac Panic   
Shaolin's Road   
Zelda's Adventure
Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon

Awesome, Great List. I have heard the Kingdom games are good. Eventually the Zelda games will be picked up may have to save up for those. No worries about rare/collectable. Just looking for fun/weird/interesting games first.

Hopefully the CD-I isn't too expensive, from my first glance at it, it doesn't seem too bad. Anyone have any experience collecting for CD-I?

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 11:59:13 AM »

I don't think expense is the challenging part. It's gonna be finding stuff, even online it's sparse. And if you wanna pick up the "adult" games and early childhood education ones both of those just rarely become available.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 01:49:21 PM »

I don't think expense is the challenging part. It's gonna be finding stuff, even online it's sparse. And if you wanna pick up the "adult" games and early childhood education ones both of those just rarely become available.

Alright, that is good to know. I will have to keep a close watch on those. Thanks for the heads up

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 06:00:50 PM »

There's a local-ish store that has a lot of the Edutainment stuff. I don't see the actual games around.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 07:54:07 PM »

There's a local-ish store that has a lot of the Edutainment stuff. I don't see the actual games around.

Yeah going to focus on games at first. I guess eventually I will have to get around to it. Although there is some weird edutainment stuff on the console, so that will be fun to get.

I already have Dark Tower and some jazz edutainment software. Found those at a thrift store many years ago. Haven't seen anything since
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:58:59 PM by Fokakis79 » Logged

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 10:19:05 PM »

Crabby is right, CD-i doesn't show up much online.  Another one to add to the list is 7th Guest.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 10:20:12 PM »

As for Zelda, I got a great deal on 2 out of 3 of the Zelda's and they do suck.  Price totally does not justify buying it.

SMS set complete!
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 03:59:53 PM »

7th Guest is awesome! Forgot it was on the CD-I.

As for Zelda, I got a great deal on 2 out of 3 of the Zelda's and they do suck.  Price totally does not justify buying it.

Are they really that bad?! I saw the AVGN episode but he hates on games I totally like. I don't agree with him that Jekyll & Hyde is a bad game but he certainly does. The Zelda CD-I games at least look entertaining with the weird cut scenes.

cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 04:44:21 PM »

I had a cdi once. I had one of the zelda games and it was horrible.  I stopped playing it after about 20 minutes and never played it again.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 07:17:35 PM »

The Zelda games were supposed to be based off the TV show, but even spiritually don't do a good job.

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 09:30:48 PM »

The 7th Guest, Voyeur, and Burn Cycle are pretty good on the CD-I.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 11:54:39 AM »

Well, I guess the Zelda games being bad has come to a consensus. I will still pick them up and play them of course. I can't seem to get enough of playing weird and bad games. Not sure what the attraction is.  

I will have to say the worst kinds of games are boring and mediocre games.  

The 7th Guest, Voyeur, and Burn Cycle are pretty good on the CD-I.

Awesome, I will put those on my list. Never heard of Voyeur, so will keep an eye out for that one. Thanks all for the recommendations.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length