RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:08:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Introduce yourself please 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 100 Print
Author Topic: Introduce yourself please  (Read 407578 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1410 on: January 14, 2019, 03:53:05 PM »

Welcome to the site! Enjoy your stay and please let us know if you have any questions.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
RobotWillie
Don't You Know Blackmail is Way Uncool
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1411 on: January 14, 2019, 11:15:51 PM »

Welcome. Enjoy the ride.

I am actually the opposite, I pretty much can't get into PC games at all and am only 28. But I do mostly newer games too on PS4 and PS3 but am getting some older ones as I can afford to. The PC games I have been really into are ones that are not even really popular mainstream wise, like Flight Simulator was my biggest thing when I was a teen on the computer. I did pour thousands of hours into it, but I am not into that anymore either. I like Civilization and stuff and certain strategy type games of the like and Sim City type games though. But its a very diverse world and theres room for all of us. One thing about PC is I am also a staunch physical media guy and things like Steam are killing that and I don't like that either. Its happening to consoles too but not as bad yet. Plus Windows 10 is a malfunction itself, a lot of the games I have on disc don't work for W10 and I shouldn't have to rebuy them on Steam. Having to rebuy a game on isn't true backwards compatibility. This happened with Civiliazation IV which I like a lot. And 2K says there is no fix and all I can do is get the Steam version apparently. PC Backwards Compatibility is overrated too. Having to buy it again on Steam when I have the disc isn't BC.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 11:23:18 PM by RobotWillie » Logged

Azervux
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #1412 on: January 15, 2019, 02:46:01 PM »

Welcome. Enjoy the ride.

I am actually the opposite, I pretty much can't get into PC games at all and am only 28. But I do mostly newer games too on PS4 and PS3 but am getting some older ones as I can afford to. The PC games I have been really into are ones that are not even really popular mainstream wise, like Flight Simulator was my biggest thing when I was a teen on the computer. I did pour thousands of hours into it, but I am not into that anymore either. I like Civilization and stuff and certain strategy type games of the like and Sim City type games though. But its a very diverse world and theres room for all of us. One thing about PC is I am also a staunch physical media guy and things like Steam are killing that and I don't like that either. Its happening to consoles too but not as bad yet. Plus Windows 10 is a malfunction itself, a lot of the games I have on disc don't work for W10 and I shouldn't have to rebuy them on Steam. Having to rebuy a game on isn't true backwards compatibility. This happened with Civiliazation IV which I like a lot. And 2K says there is no fix and all I can do is get the Steam version apparently. PC Backwards Compatibility is overrated too. Having to buy it again on Steam when I have the disc isn't BC.

I do buy my older games (and newer ones if available) on GOG (a DRM-Free digital distributing site) which do try to optimize older titles for newer operating systems as well as having a non-encrypted exe version due to being DRM-Free. I'm not opposed to digital or physical copies, but irregardless of the format, I am highly against DRM.
Another reason is probably because I enjoy niche titles (and eurojank games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R series), in addition to indie titles. Older games most of the time can be fixed (if not by the distributor or develope) by the fans, in the form of unofficial patches or by creating am open source engine.
Another personal rationality is that , I prefer running older games on widescreen (in the same aspect ratio as my monitor but if not stretched would do) and/or windowed mode, which they ere not designed intially to do, but due to the tools such as DxWnd and emulators such as dosbox, dgVooDoo or Glide. If a game runs poorly on modern Windows OS or does not natively suppprt Linux, using Wine and tweaking the settings of the game by the use of the command line is always useful at least for me.

I also do have some physical copies of games but some do contain DRM which is not supported on my current OS (Windows 10) causing them to crash, but can easily be fixed due to downloading third party patches or by pther means.

To summarize, I guess what I mean to say is I appreciate the "open-ness" of an open platform like the PC. I can see how it can turn some people way but for me the ability to tweak your games and make them run on systems they werent designed to, was always fascinating.

Azervux
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #1413 on: January 15, 2019, 08:32:13 PM »

Welcome to the site! Enjoy your stay and please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks 😀
How long have you been a member of this site?

Pianomanfreak
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #1414 on: January 17, 2019, 07:45:06 PM »

Hey all my name Jim and I'm new to the site. Also I'm a big fan of Nintendo Handhelds.
Systems that I have are New 3ds xl, Nintendo Switch, and the retron 5.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1415 on: January 17, 2019, 08:21:08 PM »

Hey all my name Jim and I'm new to the site. Also I'm a big fan of Nintendo Handhelds.

Welcome Jim! Enjoy your time here.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1416 on: January 18, 2019, 08:11:57 AM »

Thanks 😀
How long have you been a member of this site?

A long time laugh  14 years.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #1417 on: January 18, 2019, 09:20:37 AM »

Welcome, Jim!

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1418 on: January 18, 2019, 12:30:46 PM »

Damn, this will be my 13th year on the site. I never thought to look until someone asked about it. Ha ha We have been around a while.

And of course, Welcome to all new users that have joined over the last few years of my almost complete inactivity. Ha ha

TurnAroundAndRun
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #1419 on: January 18, 2019, 03:17:56 PM »

Hi all. My name is Cory and I'm fairly new to the site. Joined about a month ago. My favorite systems to play are the PS4 & the 3DS. Currently playing Lunar Knights and Resident Evil 7.

Praying something cool might happen
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1420 on: January 18, 2019, 03:46:36 PM »

Hi all. My name is Cory and I'm fairly new to the site. Joined about a month ago. My favorite systems to play are the PS4 & the 3DS. Currently playing Lunar Knights and Resident Evil 7.

Welcome Cory!  We won't hold it against you that you're friends with GrayGhost81. Wink

TurnAroundAndRun
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #1421 on: January 18, 2019, 10:16:32 PM »

Welcome Cory!  We won't hold it against you that you're friends with GrayGhost81. Wink

Thanks singlebanana! As for GrayGhost81, he is alright.  Grin

Praying something cool might happen
HiroTsukasa
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #1422 on: April 02, 2019, 07:49:31 PM »

Hey, new to the site! You can just call me Hiro.

I'm a big SHMUP fan and am here by way of stumbling upon the Shoot the Core podcast. Despite loving the genre I find I have a hard time keeping up with playing because there's no drive there beyond dabbling now and again. I find I'll play SHMUPs in short bursts then not touch any for months. None of my local friends are into STG type games and I've not had much success turning any of them onto such games. A club that focuses on a game each month seemed like a good way to stop making excuses and indulge that interest more.

Been playing since I was pretty young starting with the NES. My favorite genres are probably RPG's (I love a good story and particularly games with mechanics that allow interesting strategies) and arcade-y type games (particularly SHMUPs and fighting games).

Fun story with my username. Growing up I was lucky to have a Sega CD. I became enamored with the game Lunar and particularly its sequel Lunar 2 Eternal Blue whose protagonist is named Hiro. Around the time of the PS2, with a friend I really started to delve deep into all the RPG's I had missed out on from the NES era. In so many of those games, you needed a very short usually four or five letter name for your character. Hiro was the first thing that came to mind that could always make it under the limit. After using it so much, it became my default name if a game asked for one and didn't have some canon name for the main character. Not sure that I could stop using it at this point.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1423 on: April 02, 2019, 07:58:03 PM »

Welcome to RFG, Hiro. We're all a friendly bunch here, so feel free to hop into the forums!

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1424 on: April 03, 2019, 12:58:25 AM »

Fun story with my username. Growing up I was lucky to have a Sega CD. I became enamored with the game Lunar and particularly its sequel Lunar 2 Eternal Blue whose protagonist is named Hiro. Around the time of the PS2, with a friend I really started to delve deep into all the RPG's I had missed out on from the NES era. In so many of those games, you needed a very short usually four or five letter name for your character. Hiro was the first thing that came to mind that could always make it under the limit. After using it so much, it became my default name if a game asked for one and didn't have some canon name for the main character. Not sure that I could stop using it at this point.

I started using "Aran" for practically every game name  for similar reasons. Now I switch between Aran and Raidou.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 01:00:30 AM by Raidou » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 100 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length