RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:34:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The Thread of Gaming Randomness 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 Print
Author Topic: The Thread of Gaming Randomness  (Read 421707 times)
ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #1590 on: January 13, 2018, 12:53:42 PM »

Awesome.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1591 on: February 09, 2018, 10:07:23 PM »

Everybody's talking about reading old magazines and I've been cutting good ads out of ones I've been looking through.

Forgot this one.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:45:36 PM by SirPsycho » Logged

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1592 on: February 11, 2018, 01:04:22 PM »

Is this real? I had no idea you could do that. A couple of my old CDs stopped working and I was kind of pissed off because I thought I have to buy those games again to play them.

Yes it is. I managed to add the following games through this method:

• Bioshock 2 (Steam also gave me the "remastered" edition for free)
  • Dungeon Siege III
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
  • Prey
  • Rome: Total War
  • Supreme Commander (Steam also gave me the Forged Alliance expansion for free)
  • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

I can install them via Steam, get achievements, etc... it's pretty neat, you should give it a try with some of your old PC games.

and it also works with some of the Blizzard games with their Battlenet client (I have Diablo 2 and Warcraft III registered that way).

Are you sure about that? I tried my older Blizzard games (Diablo II, Warcraft II, Starcraft, ...) and they didn't work. As Blizzard has Battle.net for their games, it wouldn't make sense for them to make their games available on other platforms. You probably added them as a "non-Steam game" in Steam, which would simply create a shortcut in Steam, forwarding you to Battle.net when clicked on.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:17:12 PM by Sirgin » Logged
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #1593 on: February 12, 2018, 09:39:57 AM »

Found this on ebay.  I don't have the money currently, but what is basically is a an AV Booster for the PC Engine (or Turbografx-16 with a slight mod to the back) that outputs component.  Peripherally, it also passes RGBS signals (via the RCA jacks) through out either component.  Thought it might get some love.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/...40c3b8:g:EmQAAOSwWxNY1kXv

VERY INTERESTING!  I've seen S-Video boards like this, and there's even one that's made to connect to the 2 sets of 4 pins at either end of the pin-set on the back of the TG.  There's also this, however:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/...e4d972:g:UtQAAOxyaRZR2X4C

This would be a viable option, along with a SCART converter, which would allow you to pair it with a Framemeister or OSSC to jump to HDMI.  I'm seriously considering an 8-port SCART switcher and SCART-to-HDMI converter so I can get some of my older consoles to HDMI.  I have a buddy in South Carolina who did that with his Saturn, and he swears by it.

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #1594 on: February 20, 2018, 07:18:12 PM »

I'm excited.
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1595 on: March 08, 2018, 05:37:19 PM »

Holy crap that Nintendo Direct had some solid showings. South Park, Okami, a massive DLC pack for Splatoon 2. Luigi's Mansion remake for 3DS.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1596 on: March 14, 2018, 11:05:14 AM »

Looking through the Game Informer top 300 games of all time.  Obviously I can't take this seriously, mainly because I think 300 is just too high of a number for the list to make sense.  Smaller numbers are always better.  Anyway, I'm getting some warm fuzzies while going through the list.  You know, I completely forgot about Advance Wars?  Easily one of my favorite series of all time, and it just drops off the map without a peep.  I know there are other strat series, but nothing as light-hearted or with a comparable art style (or with a modern-based units).

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1597 on: March 14, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »

Looking through the Game Informer top 300 games of all time.  Obviously I can't take this seriously, mainly because I think 300 is just too high of a number for the list to make sense.  Smaller numbers are always better.  Anyway, I'm getting some warm fuzzies while going through the list.  You know, I completely forgot about Advance Wars?  Easily one of my favorite series of all time, and it just drops off the map without a peep.  I know there are other strat series, but nothing as light-hearted or with a comparable art style (or with a modern-based units).

I went through the list last night, since I got the mag yesterday in the mail, and I feel like the list is too heavy with titles from the last 3-5 years.  Not that there haven't been some stellar games to come out in that time, but it feels weird to see Horizon Zero Dawn there so fast, or even Breath of the Wild, as brilliant as it is, in the top 100 already.  Also, not a single traditional shmup in there.  Asteroids and Defender don't count.  It was probably too much to hope for, but even something as well regarded as Ikaruga couldn't crack the top 300 list.  Bah, humbug!

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1598 on: March 14, 2018, 02:13:07 PM »

Looking through the Game Informer top 300 games of all time.  Obviously I can't take this seriously, mainly because I think 300 is just too high of a number for the list to make sense.  Smaller numbers are always better.  Anyway, I'm getting some warm fuzzies while going through the list.  You know, I completely forgot about Advance Wars?  Easily one of my favorite series of all time, and it just drops off the map without a peep.  I know there are other strat series, but nothing as light-hearted or with a comparable art style (or with a modern-based units).

I went through the list last night, since I got the mag yesterday in the mail, and I feel like the list is too heavy with titles from the last 3-5 years.  Not that there haven't been some stellar games to come out in that time, but it feels weird to see Horizon Zero Dawn there so fast, or even Breath of the Wild, as brilliant as it is, in the top 100 already.  Also, not a single traditional shmup in there.  Asteroids and Defender don't count.  It was probably too much to hope for, but even something as well regarded as Ikaruga couldn't crack the top 300 list.  Bah, humbug!

Yeah, I get that.  I like "top" gaming lists, but really only for either the nostalgia the games give me, finding out about games I haven't heard of (that happens a lot), or for the the peek into the personalities that compile the lists.  You ever listen to the GiantBomb Cast Game of the Year podcasts that happen at the end of each year?  If not, they basically spend several multi-hour podcasts arguing about what is the best for the feature on their website.  I didn't listen this year, but it typically a highlight for me, as I have found it very entertaining.  That is me in a nutshell, I guess; not looking for validation of my entertainment, just looking to be entertained.

- Han Solo
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1599 on: March 15, 2018, 08:54:11 AM »

I suppose this is the best place to put this...

Had a fascinating dream last night.  In said dream I found a retro mom-n-pop game store about an hour away that I had never seen before.  I went inside, and while chatting with fellow customers I discovered one of them was a person I knew from RFG!  This person introduced me to (hard to remember after waking, I think it was two) other RFG folks in the store, and we thought it was amazing that we all lived so close and never knew.  Someone asked if I knew about *another* person from RFG and how they were having a tough time.  So later we all (dream logic, time fast-forwarded) got together with that person at my place and hung out and played video games all weekend and got to relax and become IRL friends.

It was one of those dreams that you wake up from and are saddened when you realize it was just a dream.  Not all of mine are "hey, that could plausibly happen" scenarios, but when you think back and realize no-one spontaneously became a fish-headed dragon and ate everyone at the end, you kinda wonder if maybe your subconscious just tapped into a parallel reality or something.

Anyway.  Thought I would share.

Keelah se'lai
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1600 on: March 15, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »

@bombatomba - interesting perspective.  I guess, in a way, I operate the same way.  I look at lists like that as mostly arbitrary, and totally subjective.  Circling back to Crabby's article from a few days ago, it's difficult enough to rate and compare games of differing styles, let alone, genres.  How do you definitely rank games of all genres against one another to come up with a definitive list?  There are so many factors (popularity, cultural influence, design ingenuity, fun factor, style vs. substance, difficulty, accessibility, etc.) that can be used to gauge such things that it can make your head spin.  Not that we shouldn't try, but certainly, no such thing as a definitive list can truly be made, because personal tastes and cultural shifts will always inform such processes.

@slackur - sounds like an awesome dream, and one that I'd hit the snooze bar a few times to keep going!

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1601 on: March 15, 2018, 12:13:00 PM »

@FRO - Yeah, I do agree.  As a fellow adherent to non-subjective truth, I really want to say that there is a list of the best video games of all time, but the more I dwell on this I can't help but think maybe I am wrong.  I recall a conversation with a friend where he was convinced that Head Over Heals was one of the most important games in gaming history, but I just couldn't see it, no matter how hard I tried.  And I still don't get why so many people fawn over Jonathan Blow games.

@slackur- Sounds pleasant and thanks for sharing.  I usually dream about my basement flooding or that I am back on the assembly line at Ford, or my roof leaking comical amounts of water, so I'd trade in a heartbeat.  I always hope for the "find hundreds of games in a garbage can while riding around on my bike in the 1980's" dream, but I rarely get that.  Just the stupid flooded basement.

Anyhoo, have any of you seen one of these:

So weird.  And it appears to be the NES version of the game (from the back of the box).  I'll try to take a pic, as there is one at the Meijer store that I frequent.

- Han Solo
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1602 on: March 16, 2018, 09:03:10 AM »

That's a pretty cool Double Dragon item.  And I'm in the minority; I actually prefer the NES version to the arcade original.  I feel like the arcade version is janky, and while historically important for pioneering the beat-em-up genre, was quickly surpassed, and not nearly as fun to play now as it was in 1986.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1603 on: March 24, 2018, 09:13:11 AM »

And I'm in the minority; I actually prefer the NES version to the arcade original.

Lol, me too.  I even wrote the review on the NES version that I own (within the database).

You know, I long for the day when Star Citizen is affordable to the every-man.

I get regular updates via email from the Dev, Roberts Space Industry, and have managed to ignore them for years.  This year is different.  This year I made the mistake of watching a number of videos (read: all of them) about the ships.  What a mistake on my part.  So I open up the latest letter mainly because it talks about new ships with discounts.  The one that catches my eye is the Anvil Terrapin, which is great ship for those looking to get into pure in-game exploration.  The cost: $220 USD, but with the temporary "Warbond" discount it is $195 USD.  Now, in my wildest dreams, I might be able to swing that price (given the time of the year, the arrival of my regular yearly bonus), but you can't just buy the ship and jump into the game, no.  NO.  First you must buy a game "package" to play the game.  As of this post, there are thirteen packages (one single player and the rest multplayer).  The prices range from $45 USD to $795 (!) USD.  After jumping in you can now purchase your ship.  I grant that there are two ships in the $45 USD range (one fighter and one meat and potatoes), and once can also earn in game credits to buy ships with, but from what I have read this is a terrible grind (much like sweat farming in Entropia).

http://www.youtube.com/embed/jtIK0BuYm0U?rel=0

I don't want to put out there that I have anything against Star Citizen or don't want to play it.  I would love to get into the game and just tool around, much like I wanted to do when I first got into the space sim subgenre, but cost is everything for me.  Maybe one day the game will come out of Alpha and prices come down, but then again maybe they won't.  Those that played Chris Roberts' back the day can tell you the high cost of entry (in computer upgrades) for Wing Commander games.

Well, glad to have that off my chest.  How is everyone doing?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:26:45 AM by bombatomba » Logged

- Han Solo
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #1604 on: April 06, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »

I get the music from StarTropics stuck in my head without realizing it.

Anyhoo, have any of you seen one of these:

So weird.  And it appears to be the NES version of the game (from the back of the box).  I'll try to take a pic, as there is one at the Meijer store that I frequent.

Yup, I have, and there's Mega Man II and Ms. Pac-Man (I think) versions, as well.  They're the NES versions because Nintendo on a chip systems are cheap and plentiful.  If you look at the Rampage mini-arcade that was released recently, it is also the NES version, just patched so that it skips over the player select and character select screens (which you can still see if you're eagle eyed enough).

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length