RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:59:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Site Feedback - May 2012 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Site Feedback - May 2012  (Read 13938 times)
sharp
DB Contributor
Netherlands

Stats
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2012, 06:57:44 AM »

Last Blade and King of fighters r-2 are mentioned as variation while they are two different games

can somebody fix it

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-070-S-00100-A
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2012, 11:33:44 AM »

I'm loving the idea of badges...
Badges?  BADGES?  We don't need no stinking... okay that is actually a cool idea.  Maybe something that would show up under our forum profile, as bragging rights in the collecting world are pretty important.

I know you don't like this sort of thing, Shadow, but adding price paid for a particular database item would be nice.  While I can do this now in the "Comments" area, it would be nice to have a dedicated field for entry.  To be clear I'm speaking specifically of a detail that would only appear by clicking on either "My Collection" or by accessing a member's collection via profile.  I would like to make an argument for having an average price paid per item in the database that would show when doing searches (since RFG is a game collection website that seems to enjoy The Hunt, the price paid for a particular item would be more of a red herring than a boon), but that would skirt quite close to showing actual collecting value rather than the "bragging" value, which you have expressed your distaste for, which I respect.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »

Last Blade and King of fighters r-2 are mentioned as variation while they are two different games

can somebody fix it

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-070-S-00100-A

Please put that in the appropriate thread. This is for feedback on site features and broken things on the site, not database errors.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 09:38:33 AM »

I hope rarity and value never gets added. We do not have the staff to do such things.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 10:27:41 AM »

I hope rarity and value never gets added. We do not have the staff to do such things.

Even if we had the staff to do those two things I wouldnt want to see them included. Value is meaningless, and rarity is a an estimate in too many cases. I'd rather we dont touch either.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »

Even if we had the staff to do those two things I wouldnt want to see them included. Value is meaningless, and rarity is a an estimate in too many cases. I'd rather we dont touch either.

I agree.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 11:47:57 AM »

I vaguely remember a thread about adding value/rarity to the DB. In the end it there seemed to be concensus that the site would then thread to closely to Digital Press and that it would be impolite.

Personally, I'd prefer not to have rarity/value added. Many of the rarest games are absolute crap, whereas many of the best games ever created are incredibly cheap and common. Focussing too much on rarity flies in the face of true gaming spirit.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:50:27 AM by Sirgin » Logged
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »

Adding "value" seems pointless to me, aside from the fact that it would take a tremendous amount of work initially, it would require constant tweaking as we all know games fluctuate in price over the years. The only way I could ever see us adding that to our DB is if we had some kind of partnership with another site that did all the legwork and we just had it displayed here. And even that's pretty far fetched.

Rarity is something I think we could do, but not in the foreseeable future. Right now, we have about 2500 members with collections listed. If we had say 10 times that many, we could probably use the stats of how many people own a game to say with some accuracy how rare it is.

Both of these, while it would be nice to have, would require a lot of work upfront and over time, and since there are already great sites that do both of these, I don't see a point in having them here too. I wouldn't want to see the site get into something just to have it be sub-par to what's already out there.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2012, 08:28:23 AM »

Both of these [value and rarity], while it would be nice to have, would require a lot of work upfront and over time, and since there are already great sites that do both of these, I don't see a point in having them here too. I wouldn't want to see the site get into something just to have it be sub-par to what's already out there.

Seems pretty unanimous to me.  While I was thinking more of adding competition rather than actual value (more of a "Holy crap, I can't believe Crab got that game for only $1.00" than a "I wonder how much this game is worth,") I now understand the work attached to this may be a bit unrealistic for such a small thing.  Not a bit deal, as I maintain a separate game database to retain personal value to my collection.

Since I tend to collect more what I want to play these days, I just don't care about rarity at all.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »

Going back to badges for a second, it'd be cool to have a "top submitter for X month" badge to give out every month.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2012, 01:38:54 PM »

I'm digging the badge idea. Who do I have to flog to make that happen Grin

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »

Fairly certain that SMF doesn't support badges, but it doesn't mean that it can't be done. It looks like there's an Awards section, but I think that's just text.

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2012, 06:01:15 PM »

If we can't have them on the forum itself, maybe on our collection profile page?

KidA
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2012, 01:48:25 PM »

I'm not entirely sure how to word this correctly, or even if it's already been suggested, but maybe adding a feature to group all the games of a certain system together, sub-categorized by the region instead of them having their own count totals.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2012, 04:37:24 PM »

I'm not entirely sure how to word this correctly, or even if it's already been suggested, but maybe adding a feature to group all the games of a certain system together, sub-categorized by the region instead of them having their own count totals.

Basically, you want to be able to filter by region for each console?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length